Post your All MTN/Funduro hardtail

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently bought a Honzo ST frame to build up, it's my my first bike build apart from BMX's as a kid a long time ago. I'm trying to keep costs down so using mostly second hand parts. Some 130mm Fox 34's came with the frame which are more than enough for me. I've bought a set of XT brakes, Reverb 100mm dropper, Renthal bars and stem and Bontrager xxx wheels all in good but used condition. I couldn't find much in the way of boost cranks second hand so bought a new 175mm SLX crankset with 42t chainring, rear derailleur and shifter which will hopefully do the job. I still need a cassette, chain and some gear cable etc. but at least most things are covered.
Would have loved it if mine was steel...
Enjoy !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sc.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
After 2 months or so...the new beast is ready.

Commencal Meta HT AM
Rockshox Yari 160mm
Nobby nic 3.0 (R) and 2.8 (F)
Syntace wheel (R) + mix of syntace hub and easton arc 30 (F)
Bike yoke 160mm dropper
Shimano gears + brakes
Deity bar
Hope stem

He's a beast i must say. Extremely capable. I've taken it down some smooth trail and rock gardens.
Gosh it descends better than my duallie trail bike, and climb much better.
IMG_1644.JPG
IMG_1646.JPG
IMG_1653.JPG

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Put this together last night. It's a bit of a mix of parts from the old dually and the original hardtail.

It's going to be my main bike for about 4-6 weeks until the dually frame turns up and then it'll eventually be rebuilt over time as funds permit.

2017 Dartmoor Hornet, large
160mm Yari
Nextie premium 36 rims
Raceface Sixc bars, 800mm
XT brakes and 11 speed drivetrain...

IMAG2208-3000x2250.jpg

LPG

likes thicc birds
Trek stache 7 2016 model. A great bike that is fun to throw around and attack technical single track. The rear end is really short making it easy to hop or manual without warning. The big 29+ tyres grip well and help out on the technical climbs.

Changes from stock include:
120mm dropper post (I think I can fit a 170mm one up which would be better)

Hope pro 4 rear hub (destroyed the stock rear hub)

Manitou Magnum pro fork in 120mm (stock came with the Magnum comp in 110, found a great deal on the superior Pro)

60mm stem to replace 80mm one

28T oval direct mount chainring (to get lower gears for a bikepacking trip, have not gone back to the 30)

Replaced the seat and grips.

IMG_20180720_084135.jpg
IMG_20180720_084240.jpg
IMG_20180720_084338.jpg

LPG

likes thicc birds
Please SS the Stache
It's my do it all bike offroad bike (excluding my rigid offroad tourer)! Single speed (and the fact that I'm 90 kg) would limit me too much.

When I eventually add a fully squish bro to the stable I might, maybe with a belt drive too.

rgy1993

Likes Dirt

Came across a Dartmoor Hornet for super cheap on fb buy/swap, couldn't help myself. Calling it the eBay bike - almost entirely 2nd hand parts with a total build spend of only about $1.3k. nice addition for most of the local trails, I feel the reign is just a bit too much bike for most of them.

inaugural ride on the weekend in the fair weather down here. Alu feels much much stiffer compared to my old steel NS hardtail, but the pop this thing has off any little bump is incredible!

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green

Came across a Dartmoor Hornet for super cheap on fb buy/swap, couldn't help myself. Calling it the eBay bike - almost entirely 2nd hand parts with a total build spend of only about $1.3k. nice addition for most of the local trails, I feel the reign is just a bit too much bike for most of them.

inaugural ride on the weekend in the fair weather down here. Alu feels much much stiffer compared to my old steel NS hardtail, but the pop this thing has off any little bump is incredible!
Taken you a while to build it up, but looks nice! Glad your happy with it.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Anyone run a 27.5+ hardtail on only 2.3 size tyres? Was keen on Meta HT and only just realised it is a 27.5+/29 frame the day I pay for a 27.5 Pike.

-40 drop on frame would make for a low BB. Wasn't really intending on running fork longer than 140mm.

EDIT. Looks like the AC is going to be more of a problem unless I run 160mm fork.

Octane One Prone 27.5 looking pretty good. Anyone got one?

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
This is/was my 29er with a 120mm Fox Rhythm 34

Fun bike but I prefer short-travel dual suspension on the trails, so I converted this to a 700C flat-bar roadie with a longer stem later on as it was fractionally too small for me anyway (I'm a Clyde). Build quality was good, and the red (which is like a red clear coat over raw) looks awesome in person.

With the benefit of hindsight I'd buy the 27.5" version though, would be a lot more playful and just as capable. The back-end is on the firmer side of things for a hardtail too if that matters to you, but it was great all around on flow trails.

The Nukeproof Scout 275 might be worth looking at, as geometry and frame prices are not dissimilar to the Octane One anyhow...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Looks super, definitely Avatar worthy.

Must really haul as a 29"er though, you wouldn't miss the 27.5" version that much I think.