Post your all mountain bike

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
https://m.pinkbike.com/news/review-guerrilla-gravity-smash.html

Seeing as your still fixated on 29’s. This way you only need to extend the fork for maydena missions!
Ultra you're a little bit creepy right now 'coz I was literally studying The Smash last night.
(but I didn't have the VPN turned on so I guess that's how you're watching me...?)

It's definitely, definitely, definitely on the "dream" list. It's a rockin' bike with tons of capability & attitude.....and it has the correct sized wheels :p:p:p
The Smash with a 160mm fork would almost be the perfect combo of geo/performance. And it's not carbon, which I don't really want if I can help it.
I'd definitely be "over-biked" for a lot of my local Launceston stuff....but when shit gets real at Derby & Maydena, well....that's when you need the bike to be up for it, right?
(and it would eventually give me a reason to add a slack hard-tail for the local loops ;))

But the thought of dealing with a boutique importer & paying thru the nose just gives me heartburn. I just don't get why I have to pay such a high wedge when you can routinely get 10-20% off a Norco or a Kona....and get very similar performance on-trail.
But I'm coming around to the idea of more spendy-spendy....

(cue lecture from Zaf about bike budget management :rolleyes:)

Z

Zaf

@born-again-biker I'm paying them for this privilege.
Also, the Guerrilla Gravity Smash was on my shortlist, wanted the Geolution style geometry though in the same sized package...and a gearbox.
But the Smash has the flip chip, and Vital's review of it a while back seemed to say it has a significant effect on performance. Guerilla Gravity's take on it is literally "Switch modes, not bikes" which is pretty neat if you ask me.

Pole Evolink 140 was also on the list, as was the Starling Murmur.

That being said, go have a chat with the guy from BikeBrew who sells the GG frames in Aus, he's really helpful, and the prices are bang on with good options.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Ultra you're a little bit creepy right now 'coz I was literally studying The Smash last night.
(but I didn't have the VPN turned on so I guess that's how you're watching me...?)

It's definitely, definitely, definitely on the "dream" list. It's a rockin' bike with tons of capability & attitude.....and it has the correct sized wheels :p:p:p
The Smash with a 160mm fork would almost be the perfect combo of geo/performance. And it's not carbon, which I don't really want if I can help it.
I'd definitely be "over-biked" for a lot of my local Launceston stuff....but when shit gets real at Derby & Maydena, well....that's when you need the bike to be up for it, right?
(and it would eventually give me a reason to add a slack hard-tail for the local loops ;))

But the thought of dealing with a boutique importer & paying thru the nose just gives me heartburn. I just don't get why I have to pay such a high wedge when you can routinely get 10-20% off a Norco or a Kona....and get very similar performance on-trail.
But I'm coming around to the idea of more spendy-spendy....

(cue lecture from Zaf about bike budget management :rolleyes:)
:D

Brilliant minds and all that.

Honeslty I think GG are very reasonable for the price, actual made in america frames for mid $3g from memory, that’s on target with frame only’s from other small boutique’s except your supporting an awesome company (looking at you santa cruz/yeti, gg have picked up all your street cred).

The price is on par with tranny. If I didn’t get a good price on my scout I would’ve gone gg.

You are right though, custom bikes are bloody expensive. Buy the off the shelf bike, ride it hard then if you break a frame do the swap. I got tired of pedalling around on a reign so lowered forks, bought the frame then transferred parts over. Much easier on the bank account than going full brand new custom build.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
@born-again-biker I'm paying them for this privilege.
Also, the Guerrilla Gravity Smash was on my shortlist, wanted the Geolution style geometry though in the same sized package...and a gearbox.
But the Smash has the flip chip, and Vital's review of it a while back seemed to say it has a significant effect on performance. Guerilla Gravity's take on it is literally "Switch modes, not bikes" which is pretty neat if you ask me.

Pole Evolink 140 was also on the list, as was the Starling Murmur.

That being said, go have a chat with the guy from BikeBrew who sells the GG frames in Aus, he's really helpful, and the prices are bang on with good options.
I've been thinking hard about it today....I was dead set on a Kona Process 153 29, or a Range......but the more I think about The Smash, the more I like it. Although the feeback / reviews for some of their bikes can be a little mixed, it's pretty positive.
I was gonna call Bike Brew tomorrow....but they're closed 'till late July (including closing the website) !!!

Tranny Smuggler or Sentinel are "dream" list too....but very poor v.f.m. in Oz.
...and the 2018 Vitus Escarpe VRX 29 just took out one of the various Trail Bike of the Year contests. But actually tracking one down is near impossible....all sold out it seems.

We're prolly a bit far off forum topic now (haven't bought anything to post up yet!)....should start the inevitable "Help me choose..." thread soon...

Reactions: Zaf

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I saw that Bike Brew shut their site down. They're probably kicking themselves with this happening as the bike gets such a high profile review.

Anyone serious about getting is likely to wait hopefully but it'll be frustrating.

Z

Zaf

I've been thinking hard about it today....I was dead set on a Kona Process 153 29, or a Range......but the more I think about The Smash, the more I like it. Although the feeback / reviews for some of their bikes can be a little mixed, it's pretty positive.
I was gonna call Bike Brew tomorrow....but they're closed 'till late July (including closing the website) !!!

Tranny Smuggler or Sentinel are "dream" list too....but very poor v.f.m. in Oz.
...and the 2018 Vitus Escarpe VRX 29 just took out one of the various Trail Bike of the Year contests. But actually tracking one down is near impossible....all sold out it seems.

We're prolly a bit far off forum topic now (haven't bought anything to post up yet!)....should start the inevitable "Help me choose..." thread soon...
Just to throw another ball in the works. Marin Wolf Ridge? Could you please so that I can have a go on it as well?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
Born again biker if you really are interested in a GG bike message them direct. They are really responsive to emails and I’m sure they would sort you out in the absence of Bike Brew.
Might be a bit more tricky with the import taxes etc though as bike brew took care of all that.
They have a rider discount and I’ve bought a few bits direct from them since I bought my bike and they are actually better to deal with than Bike Brew anyway.

Z

Zaf

chris@bikebrew.com.au

That's the contact e-mail address I had for them and completely agree with Jpez, they're great to talk to and deal with. I feel guilty about not purchasing products from them in the end given how good the service was. Just remember that if you're not going with a build kit off their site, you'll need to dish your rear wheel differently.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Born again biker if you really are interested in a GG bike message them direct. They are really responsive to emails and I’m sure they would sort you out in the absence of Bike Brew.
Might be a bit more tricky with the import taxes etc though as bike brew took care of all that.
They have a rider discount and I’ve bought a few bits direct from them since I bought my bike and they are actually better to deal with than Bike Brew anyway.
I sent GG an email last night regarding sizing (the XL is freakin' huuuge)....and they replied quick with heaps of good info.
It was a proper useful reply, not just a couple of lines of predictable blah...
I need to digest some of the measurements & considerations they gave me...but super busy right now with house reno's so will take my time.

I just emailed chris @ BB with a few questions too....just to get his input & pricing etc.
I may not hear back straight away though.....that's cool.

I'm open to the idea of ordering the frame now with the money I got from selling my bike....and then just slowly acquiring all the parts over many months as time & funds allow. Not my preferred way to get a new bike but would be worth it for a bike like this.
....but I have a sneaking feeling the costs are going kill the deal. If the whole thing could be done for less than 5k it's doable....but I think I'm gonna get fleeced with import / tax / exchange rates etc etc....but don't wanna give up yet....we'll see how it plays out....

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
How set are you on running brand new parts? Those DVO’s second hand for 800 are an amazing deal. Set of nukeproof wheels were $400 ish on sale recently...... you can do it pretty cheap if your patient. Luckily you don’t like carbon so that helps heaps with keeping the cost down. And doesn’t detract from ride quality imo hehehe, bloody weight weenies obsessing over grams.

A set of Xt’s for 170 atm in the bargain buys thread. Get on that real quick.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I sent GG an email last night regarding sizing (the XL is freakin' huuuge)....and they replied quick with heaps of good info.
It was a proper useful reply, not just a couple of lines of predictable blah...
I need to digest some of the measurements & considerations they gave me...but super busy right now with house reno's so will take my time.

I just emailed chris @ BB with a few questions too....just to get his input & pricing etc.
I may not hear back straight away though.....that's cool.

I'm open to the idea of ordering the frame now with the money I got from selling my bike....and then just slowly acquiring all the parts over many months as time & funds allow. Not my preferred way to get a new bike but would be worth it for a bike like this.
....but I have a sneaking feeling the costs are going kill the deal. If the whole thing could be done for less than 5k it's doable....but I think I'm gonna get fleeced with import / tax / exchange rates etc etc....but don't wanna give up yet....we'll see how it plays out....
Yeah If the $$ don’t pan out with the shitty exchange rate and taxes etc then that’s a shame.
But if you can make it work I’m pretty certain you will be stoked on a GG bike.
GG are great to deal with. I bought a coil shock from them and the spring they recommended was too heavy. When I messaged them about it they sent me a new one for nothing. Gotta love that.
An XL, holy cow. You must be tall! I’m 6.3 and a large is perfect for me.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
How set are you on running brand new parts? Those DVO’s second hand for 800 are an amazing deal. Set of nukeproof wheels were $400 ish on sale recently...... you can do it pretty cheap if your patient. Luckily you don’t like carbon so that helps heaps with keeping the cost down. And doesn’t detract from ride quality imo hehehe, bloody weight weenies obsessing over grams.

A set of Xt’s for 170 atm in the bargain buys thread. Get on that real quick.
I don't mind pre-loved at all. I reckon it's pretty smart sometimes...

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Yeah If the $$ don’t pan out with the shitty exchange rate and taxes etc then that’s a shame.
But if you can make it work I’m pretty certain you will be stoked on a GG bike.
GG are great to deal with. I bought a coil shock from them and the spring they recommended was too heavy. When I messaged them about it they sent me a new one for nothing. Gotta love that.
An XL, holy cow. You must be tall! I’m 6.3 and a large is perfect for me.
I got a good reply from Chris @ bike brew this 'arvo. He answered my questions straight up....from Whistler!
$5k would get me a complete bike ....but the spec is pretty poor. Realistically I would need more spendy model.

Frame only starts at $3500 AUD....but would be most of $4k with a worthy shock option.

Decisions, decisions.....

rstim

Likes Dirt
I got a good reply from Chris @ bike brew this 'arvo. He answered my questions straight up....from Whistler!
$5k would get me a complete bike ....but the spec is pretty poor. Realistically I would need more spendy model.

Frame only starts at $3500 AUD....but would be most of $4k with a worthy shock option.

Decisions, decisions.....
What about a Nukeproof Mega 290? http://www.offthebrakes.com.au/bikeM290Pro.html
Might be worth considering.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Tim!
You wouldn't be biased would ya? :D
The Mega 290 is a wicked bike for sure. It's been on my mental short-list for a while (farken big short list huh?)
.....good value too.