All Mountain Tyres

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a rear tyre, how does a Maxxis DHRII 2.4 WT compare to a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 SG with respect to rolling resistance?

Main place I’d ride is You Yangs, so dry, rocky, loose over hard. Currently running Magic Mary SG 2.35 on the front paired with the Hans Dampf on the rear.

Love the HD on the rear, nice progressive slide to it but it’s not a fast roller and the You Yangs rocks are wearing through it pretty quickly. No real complaints with the Magic Mary either but can be a tiny bit squirmy when ripped over.

Keen to go back to a Minion DHF 2.5 on the front which probably better matches the drier conditions I’d normally ride - but not set on a rear tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
As a rear tyre, how does a Maxxis DHRII 2.4 WT compare to a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 SG with respect to rolling resistance?

Main place I’d ride is You Yangs, so dry, rocky, loose over hard. Currently running Magic Mary SG 2.35 on the front paired with the Hans Dampf on the rear.

Love the HD on the rear, nice progressive slide to it but it’s not a fast roller and the You Yangs rocks are wearing through it pretty quickly. No real complaints with the Magic Mary either but can be a tiny bit squirmy when ripped over.

Keen to go back to a Minion DHF 2.5 on the front which probably better matches the drier conditions I’d normally ride - but not set on a rear tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why not go a Minion SS? Has worked nicely at the Youies for me.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Any recommendations for Mt Buller? Heading up there for opening weekend. I've got a feeling it going to be a bit damp.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just had a couple of rides with the new design Hans Dampf on the front. It’s a nice improvement over the original, the side knobs are bigger and more sturdy, it’s has a slightly squarer profile and the tread knobs are meaty all over. It still rolls similar to the original only a tad slower/noiser on tarmac. And most importantly it still has a nice big bag to it (2.35), way bigger than a 2.35 maxxis.. So far so good, be interesting to see it’s durability with the soft compound.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Just had a couple of rides with the new design Hans Dampf on the front. It’s a nice improvement over the original, the side knobs are bigger and more sturdy, it’s has a slightly squarer profile and the tread knobs are meaty all over. It still rolls similar to the original only a tad slower/noiser on tarmac. And most importantly it still has a nice big bag to it (2.35), way bigger than a 2.35 maxxis.. So far so good, be interesting to see it’s durability with the soft compound.
cool, Link?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Looks good, the rows of tread blocks on the new HD remind me a bit of a Minion DHRII. About time they reinforced the side knobs too

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So far the side support feels better but it’s hard to really tell as the old front dampf knobs were rooted..
Now the local trails are dry and loose I am going to have to look at new rear tyre, the maxxis forekaster on it now is a bit out gunned with the new HD up front.. Maybe I will try an aggressor..

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Kenda Nevegal 2 Pro, get onboard.
I see Aaron Gwin has been reading my posts....lol

Yeah he's on the Hellkat, but its still one of the new generation Kenda's....

Get on board.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I see Aaron Gwin has been reading my posts....lol

Yeah he's on the Hellkat, but its still one of the new generation Kenda's....

Get on board.
Do they still come with that kenda surprise?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So far the side support feels better but it’s hard to really tell as the old front dampf knobs were rooted..
Now the local trails are dry and loose I am going to have to look at new rear tyre, the maxxis forekaster on it now is a bit out gunned with the new HD up front.. Maybe I will try an aggressor..
I switched from a DHF 29x2.3 rear tyre to an equivalent sized Aggressor just before Xmas on a 140/130mm trail bike.

I reckon it is the bees knees, absolutely love it.
Very predictable and very grippy.
Now running a DHF/Aggressor combo and it is working very well on the local trails (loose on hard)

Have heard of people that don’t enjoy it because they prefer a looser rear end so I guess it depends on riding style.

BB1

Likes Dirt
I'm keen as musturd to try the Michelin Wild AM/Wild Grip'r combo. These have been getting positive review on RB and on the net.
I'm currently running the Wild AM (front) and Force AM (rear) as an aggressive trail combo. Previously was running DHR2/Minion SS.

Michelin combo is nice and light, fast rolling, and the front has lots of grip. However, I'm a little disappointed at the width of the Wild AM - it's meant to be a 2.35 but measures almost identical to the Minion in a 2.3, mounted on a 30mm id rim.

I'll be changing back to a 2.5 Maxxis for Derby, with an aggressor for the rear on the G15 as I know it'll work (unless pissing rain). Will happily keep the Michelin combo for the trail bike.

If I got them cheap enough I'd be keen to give some of the other Michelin options a go.

Last edited: