Too Beaucoup!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
With that head angle maybe flat drops are trying to bend the fork rather than retract it...
Yeah I thought about that but I'm not doing perfect manuals off the drops. I'm still landing a little nose heavy. There's also the final flow sections which are pretty gnarly at speed. I'll upload some video.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Oddjob

That pole needs steeper terrain than the dam loop my dude, it’s a big burly enduro bike designed for big trails. Think of that extra travel as backup for when the balls outmatch the skillz.

Work on yourself over the bike to be a true shredder *shakas aggressively my dude*
Yeah I think I'll take the Pole to Green Valley. My podiatrist/enabler is keen to see it too.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Good to see another riding a big black Pole.

Dunno about the white cables though, haha.

Still loving mine, and toying with the idea of taking it from 27.5 to 27.5+, rather than 29.

I know the 150 is primarily designed around 27.5 for more bike park use, but I get a fair amount of pedal strikes on more chilled out trails, so I wanna bring that BB up a bit, and maybe move to a 170mm crank.

A while off, but toying with ideas is fun. I like how versatile this frame is.

Oddjob

27.5+ is an interesting option. What tyres and how big?

I'm liking the 29er option so far.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
27.5+ is an interesting option. What tyres and how big?

I'm liking the 29er option so far.
I was looking at Magic Mary front, Nobby Nic rear... Both 2.8" on 35mm internal rims, or whatever LB's closest width is. I think it was 33.5 or something...

If it's not 27.5+, then I'd be aiming for a 29x2.6" setup.

Oddjob

Nice! Are you running Huck Norris or cushcore?

I know Pole reckons a 29x2.6 is ok but it would be tight at least in the rear.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Nice! Are you running Huck Norris or cushcore?

I know Pole reckons a 29x2.6 is ok but it would be tight at least in the rear.
I'm running neither.
Though I think I'll put a Huck Norris (which is actually made by the guys at Pole) in the rear if I do go the carbon route.

I'm a bit of a rim dinger because I've got no style. Just point, shoot and hope for the best. Hahaha.

Had some hard knocks but never enough to stop tubeless from holding, or setting up on a new tyre.

Oddjob

So I finally figured out why I wasn't getting full travel from the fork. I had about 35psi too much pressure in it. I swear I measured the sag properly when I assembled the Pole.

Once I had the presssure set properly I did some runs to tune the compression damping and the mrp ramp control. It turns out the factory setting of 11 clicks out was perfect. The mrp ended up needing 6 clicks out, or about 33% ramp up, to give me 95% on the final descent on the Dam. I'll probably go an exyra 2 clicks at Green Valley.

With the settings dialled the fork is freaking sublime. It just eats obstacles and hadles awkward landings with no fuss.

The brakes have come good in a big way. They are flat out awesome and would make a Hope v4 owner weep with envy.

The Michelin tyres are doing well too. Definitely draggier than the Nobby Nic/Saguaro combo but they have a shit ton more lateral grip. The Wild Grip'r also did a good job of self cleaning in the wet conditions today, but doesn't have the epic radial traction of the Saguaros.

The only sour note is the Oneup dropper which is still a bit inconsistent in its action. I'm also not a fan of how it uses the cable housing to move the mechanism. I might try another option.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
The brakes have come good in a big way. They are flat out awesome and would make a Hope v4 owner weep with envy.
You reckon? I’m pretty bloody happy with my shine black V4’s atm

(Admittedly there just sittin on the desk atm, getting fitted tomorrow. Plans to ride sunday)

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt

You're dreaming mate. My v4's are second to none 24/7 and did not need to 'come good'

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zaf

Oddjob

This was around MD? It's sand at the best of times, I don't think I've had anything clog up too badly around there.
Manly Dam and possums. The new section of possums is very very fresh and was pretty muddy. The Pole does not like Possums, too tight!

@Ultra Lord, @the drizzle. I'm almost certain that you haven't tried anything like my brakes. They don't have that spongey initial feel of the Hopes and have a more linear power ramp up than Saints (ie less grabby) and less free stroke than both.

The coming good was down to the pads. Unless Hope do something special with their pads they have a break in period too, especially for the sintered ones.

Ultra Lord

The brembo’s on my dirt bike are pretty bloody amazing and always the benchmark for me.

One finger stoppies at speed, none of that initial bite like shimano mtb just good linear goodness.

If my V4’s come close to that I’ll be stoked.

Why’d shimano move away from your design? They don’t change for the sake of change over there.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
@Oddjob I think you'll find most brakes perform pretty well in a repeated 13km/h to stop test. ;)

Also, the wheelbase is 1344mm, compared to what 1228mm of the SAM?
If we just round that difference up to 12cm, it's the length of a generic ball point pen (and most designer engraved ones as well) over a wheelbase. She will go around those tight corners just fine!!! The length (as always) is mainly in your head.
I've found bike length to be less of an issue the more I ride mine... It seems to be more body positioning and weight distribution over a longer bike, muscling it around a touch more, rather than the bike being too long to get around a corner.

Reactions: Zaf

Oddjob

The brembo’s on my dirt bike are pretty bloody amazing and always the benchmark for me.

One finger stoppies at speed, none of that initial bite like shimano mtb just good linear goodness.

If my V4’s come close to that I’ll be stoked.

Why’d shimano move away from your design? They don’t change for the sake of change over there.
The franken-m755s actually remind me of the Brembos on my old ktm 990. Similar firm feel and linear ramp up.

The last v4s I tried were spongy initially and then ramped up a lot. Saints/Zees are grabbier with lots of power from the get go.

The m755 was orginally a Grimeca (italian motorbike brake manufacturer) design, and presumably Shimano got jack of paying license fees. The m765/m800s that Shimano designed and replaced them with was a joke.

Last edited:

Oddjob

@Oddjob I think you'll find most brakes perform pretty well in a repeated 13km/h to stop test. ;)

Also, the wheelbase is 1344mm, compared to what 1228mm of the SAM?
If we just round that difference up to 12cm, it's the length of a generic ball point pen (and most designer engraved ones as well) over a wheelbase. She will go around those tight corners just fine!!! The length (as always) is mainly in your head.
Pfft, stop projecting. Sydney = hills. Lots of them. And hills = acceleration on the Pole. Lots of it.

They're both bloody long, but the SAM is noticeably lighter and more nimble/sketchy. Whereas the Pole is a mini dh rocketship and is easier to get up to silly speeds.

My riding/mental game can do with some improvement too.

Ultra Lord

Pfft, stop projecting. Sydney = hills. Lots of them. And hills = acceleration on the Pole. Lots of it.
Cmon man, our hills are pretty small :( get on down to menia, loftus and appin now the weathers cleared and the trails have had some moisture!

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
The Pole does not like Possums, too tight!
If Possums was too tight how'd it go round Serratta, Ghania &Olive Oil? I think you just need more time to get accustomed to the bike as none of those trails are reaallly tight, uphill switchbacks you will notice...there's a few on DD that took me a while to master and my wheelbase is only 1168mm.