Snakes

mark22

Likes Dirt
Went to put the garage door up friday and it stopped, pushed the button again and up it went, backed the car out hit the button and it stopped about 300mm from the floor hmmm looks like a bit of rubber hanging out the side of the door, drive back up to the door, not rubber carpet snake and looks like he is stuck so I push the door in and it goes back inside and lays along on top of the track for the door.
Got rake and grabbed its tails and had a good old tug of war but got him down, flicked him out under the door and instantly realized the car is parked there, race around and catch him (again) as he goes under the car and put him on the lawn.
Looked none the worse for wear and did not get agro at all.
This could have easily ended up in the FW thread
upload_2018-9-23_16-29-4.jpeg

upload_2018-9-23_16-29-26.jpeg

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Just got home from taking the boys to Taronga zoo over the weekend
My first stop at any zoo is the reptile enclosure...
hypnotized by the patterns on the Anaconda, but the sheer deadly beauty of our aussie snakes always takes your breath away

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Four snakes all within the space of about 4 minutes today. All brown snakes. 2 on the the DH track in my local SA trails (Sheps reserve) and two on the climb back up. First one was at speed and the old stick or snake game...snake, bunny hop! Set PR on the DH too. Ha ha. They seemed pretty chilled though, just waking up for the warmth I guess.

stirk

Burner
Local social media groups are full of nope rope encounters so I was not surprised to almost ride over a brown yesterday.

It's this time of year I start working on my bunny hops skills!

Mr Adonis

Likes Bikes
Went riding with my young son yesterday along Yarra Trails in Rosanna - thought I would take detour with him on nice twisty single track along Yarra River - with me in front, I spot Tiger snake about 50cm on our side, all curled up.
Didnt say a word to him, so he just rode past snake blissfully unaware.
Had I had told him, he would have freaked out, got off his bike, and probably scared the snake. And then my wife would have blasted me, banning future father / son MTB rides.
Glad I shut up.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went riding with my young son yesterday along Yarra Trails in Rosanna - thought I would take detour with him on nice twisty single track along Yarra River - with me in front, I spot Tiger snake about 50cm on our side, all curled up.
Had I had told him, he would have freaked out, got off his bike, and probably scared the snake. And then my wife would have blasted me, banning future father / son MTB rides.
Glad I shut up.
Last year my young bloke blissfully ran over a tiger on the main trail near the golf club after exiting the st.. He had no idea what he had done..

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Glad I shut up.
Take a snake bite bandage, could indeed save his life if he gets bitten. Read back up this thread for bandage advice

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Yay, spring time! Camped up near Buxton this week for some school holiday activity.. went hiking up to Steavenson falls and then along the track to Keppel lookout and back down to the car park - had to take a 5 minute break at one point to watch a pretty shiny black snake slowly make it's way along the walking track in front of us.
Next day we did a lap of the Buxton MTB park #2 loop and we were almost at the end of Spider Gulley - my young lad in front was going over the last log roll and as he cleared it I saw this big black snake jump up and writhe around.. he must have hit it with his front wheel. We were moving reasonably fast, probably around 25 or so and I was following maybe 2 meters behind so it was scary AF to see a 1.5m snake jump and wriggle next to him... and then I had to whiz past since I was going too fast to stop and the track was too narrow to avoid it. Jesus.

So 2 snakes in 2 days up near Marysville. I think it was the same type each time but I couldn't tell you what type of snake is in an Allens Snakes lolly bag let alone identify one wriggling along the track. They were both shiny black on top and it looked like they had a white-ish abdomen.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The amount of stripping on Tigers varies from prominent to virtually none. The white underside is a reliable way to tell them from Red Bellies.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
oh really? OK thanks. I think. I thought tigers were quite stripey where the two I saw were fairly consistently solid shiny and black along their backs.
Yup, Tigers can be almost pure black on top. Those in Tassie and the Bass Strait islands are almost always pure black, with no striping at all. Even on the mainland, often the specimens found in cooler regions will have less prominent striping than those in warmer & drier regions.

Red-bellied Blacks are also quite pale underneath; the distinctive red is really only along the sides, not right under.