AM Found

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
That wasn't a curse! That was achieved through incompetence alone. And we all know the true Zelvy curse is that of ownership.

(on the phone, so replying from memory as to what's been said).

Little but angry (pic related).

Cheers Oddjob, but I think I might as well go brass now that the I'm here.

I don't drink, I usually just get over invested and combative on the internet.

The punched kitten achieved low earth orbit.

I could be talked into parting with some Sapim polyax black brass if you hit me back later. SJS Cycles have them in 100 bags for good prices and postage.

Or if you're patient and happy to go silver https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DT-Swis...h=item520a532f40:g:bkAAAOSwZ1BXe3bt:rk:4:pf:0 or https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DT-Swiss-2-0-x-14mm-Silver-Brass-Nipples-Bag-of-100/282993393806

Oddjob

Hey guys!!
Good moment of brotherly love from the site, everyone wants me to have their nipples!!

Just a heads up, I did all the spoke calculations on the assumption I'd be using the Squorx nipples, which have a longer thread engagement on them. Not necessarily a problem, there's only millimeter or two in it, and they would just extent out the top of the spoke a little. I also just prefer to use the squorx tool for building, there's a solid connection and far less fiddly.

I'm waiting to see if MTBDirect can fix this with DT Swiss and get me what I need. If I have to go normal nipples, I'll likely buy them locally just to get it done.
You have expensive tastes. It would be cheaper and quicker to get the Cyclus nipple driver and use a ratchet drive. https://www.bike24.com/p2242915.html

Cyclingdeal have great nipple holder for cheap as well. https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/bikehand-bike-bicycle-wheel-nipple-tool-kit/YC-189

If you lace up one side first to get the coaxial true done then lace up the other side for the radial true, you should be able to get the wheel built perfectly in less than 1.5 hours.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zaf

Oddjob

It took you 16 pages of a Pinion'ed Nicolai bike with EXT, Formula, etc. build kit on it, to finally arrive at this conclusion when I insisted on squorx nipples.

And yet you bought mismatched wheels to save money....

Oddjob

Syntace rims front and rear with a Pinion H2R (matching the gearbox) for the drive train?
You were doing so well!!! Don't ruin this!!!
28h sp front, 32h j bend rear. Thats not very matchy.

Oddjob

33mm internal front, 26mm rear.

I also run different spokes front and rear, because a front wheel has a different purpose to a rear.
Kind of like how we have different tread patterns for the tyre, they don't need to match because they do different things; I'd even go so far as to say that a wheelset SHOULDN'T match because of this, and have put money into my belief of that.
Fair enough.

Anyway I still think sqourx is pricey and no faster than standard nipples when using the right tools. If you change your mind about the alloy sqourx or brass Sapim let me know.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hmmm, quite a few standard wheelsets had different spoke counts front to rear. Different widths though? But I am the idiot who ran 26+ on the front and 27.5 on the rear...

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
Hey Zaf does your ext storia loc have that poppet valve ? And does it make a click noise .? When the suspension cycles ?
Cheers , and super sweet bike

Oddjob

I haven't had the Storia on the bike for a little bit (been messing about with the Vivid Air and Coil). Pretty sure the Storia damper works via a spool valve, not sure if there's a poppet in the sequence though. I've never heard a click or clunk on mine, but in discussions with the guys from NSD previously, they had a guy who could hear his making such a noise and, even though it's a normal part of operation, really disliked it.

The only thing I've really heard from the Storia is more of a "squeak" as the oil cycles through the circuits, but it's clearly a damper noise and one of those really cool "phhhhsssshhhhh" noises, just higher pitched.
How are you finding the Vivid. About to get mine back from the suspension tech and fit it to the Pole.

Reactions: Zaf