Fog light Blue colour Legal?

scblack

Leucocholic
Guys,

I fitted some LED fog light globes to my car. I ordered the IceBlue colour, and it is quite blue.

Is this colour legal in the fog lights?

Fog 10.jpg

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
In Q definately not. Suspect you will have the same rules where blue light is reserved for emergency vehicles.

Why blue? That frequency wont cut through fog anyway, yellow end of the spectrum works best unless you are just posing.

scblack

Leucocholic
I changed from the halogens to match the Xenon headlights better. I'm in Sydney so foggy weather is only an issue about 5days a year, so the preferred fog effects of yellow doesn't matter to me.

I fitted them on the weekend and was worried they were too blue anyway, looks too much like a try-hard WRX driver being a tosser.

Since posting this the RMS got back to me quickly! Division 13 Fog Lights of the regulations allows only white or yellow colour from fog lights.

I have now ordered white.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The issue of colour legality is surely moot when you’re illegally using them in non-foggy conditions?

The “look” of a light is irrelevant... What probably matters more is that you look like a try hard SUV driver tosser driving with your fog lights on.

And given you’re driving a truck, the lights are high and blinding enough as it is

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The “look” of a light is irrelevant... What probably matters more is that you look like a try hard SUV driver tosser driving with your fog lights on.
You have the deepest inferiority complex of anyone on this website.

Binaural

Eats Squid
The colour makes no difference for a given amplitude (due to tinting yellow lamps would normally deliver less), but make sure you take care to orient them correctly as per the guidelines. They need to be aimed very low and short to avoid creating bad glare for the driver (and possibly other drives)

scblack

Leucocholic
The colour makes no difference for a given amplitude (due to tinting yellow lamps would normally deliver less), but make sure you take care to orient them correctly as per the guidelines. They need to be aimed very low and short to avoid creating bad glare for the driver (and possibly other drives)
Its just the globe I am replacing, so I'm not making changes to any "directionality".

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I'm in Sydney so foggy weather is only an issue about 5days a year, so the preferred fog effects of yellow doesn't matter to me.
Must be a different part of sydney, up on the northern outskirts we get heavy fog a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Another issue here to consider, also related to being a considerate road user - led globes in reflectors designed for halogens just makes a bad glare situation for other drivers worse.

Please just leave them off. They hinder your own ability to see where you’re going and annoy everyone else.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Another issue here to consider, also related to being a considerate road user - led globes in reflectors designed for halogens just makes a bad glare situation for other drivers worse.

Please just leave them off. They hinder your own ability to see where you’re going and annoy everyone else.
It's a 4by, just drive over shit that gets in your way.

PS: have you got your emissions cheats enabled?

scblack

Leucocholic
I was just amused he called WRX try hards and drives an Anorak with fogs on... Its ironic:)
You consider owning a French motor vehicle a viable option (Renault Clit). That does not lend your opinions too much credibility.

Its fog lights. They do not hinder ANY driver vision.

If they annoy others, stiff shit.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
You consider owning a French motor vehicle a viable option (Renault Clit). That does not lend your opinions too much credibility.

Its fog lights. They do not hinder ANY driver vision.

If they annoy others, stiff shit.
Clit. Hilarious, I see what you did there ;) I bow to your superior manliness.

As for vision, you do know they a bright light right in front of you contracts your pupils and blinds you to the range of the low beam lights? It probably only a bit, but it sure doesn’t improve things!

By all means go nuts with the “it looks cool” theory for all sorts of stuff - but mucking safety critical stuff like lights is pretty silly.

Using your fog lights like that is ILLEGAL for a reason....

Binaural

Eats Squid
@scblack Good point, thought for some reason you were replacing the lights and not the globes.

That said, putting "emissions cheat" on your car is a bit perilous - all it takes is one cop in a bad mood and you could get a non-compliance notice and a decent fine. That is easy money right there.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Foggies aren't directional, hence the glare regardless of the globe. The main lights have a hood inside the globe.

It's something I'm aware of with my bike lights on country roads, been flashed more than once, and not in the good way.

Edit: Ohhhhh, @Binaural you know that already ;)

scblack

Leucocholic
Clit. Hilarious, I see what you did there ;) I bow to your superior manliness.

As for vision, you do know they a bright light right in front of you contracts your pupils and blinds you to the range of the low beam lights? It probably only a bit, but it sure doesn’t improve things!

By all means go nuts with the “it looks cool” theory for all sorts of stuff - but mucking safety critical stuff like lights is pretty silly.

Using your fog lights like that is ILLEGAL for a reason....
I'm replacing a halogen globe with an LED one.

That is NOT mission critical stuff.....

Its a sticker.....

Haakon

Keeps on digging
They’re unidirectional lights up high on in addition to your main lights. You just need one elderly or thick glasses wearing driver to be blinded for a few seconds at the wrong time and it suddenly becomes very mission critical indeed.

Don’t be a dick - just leave them off... They’re a nuisance. And more to the point they’re illegal to use when it’s not foggy, so that should be the end of it!