Rival vs 105 groupset options

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
you have your answer droenn, well worth it!

It’s only $228 for the set, which is like one boozy night out.
I know I’d rather the fancy brakes........

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Would this work, or at least on the right track? Need to check the chain ring sizing still, and I didn’t see much advantage of going to XT 10 spd as that only gets 11-36 over the 11 Spd road cassette at 11-32.... I’m coming off SS after all.

D173BDF7-B8EE-4168-A08A-AC6F4FD7BF4D.jpeg

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Would this work, or at least on the right track? Need to check the chain ring sizing still, and I didn’t see much advantage of going to XT 10 spd as that only gets 11-36 over the 11 Spd road cassette at 11-32.... I’m coming off SS after all.

View attachment 348459
No idea about the Hope caliper. Merlin has the Hydro levers for cheaper.

The XT 10 speed rd is for use with an 11 speed cassette. It's the same geometry as the Ultegra rd, just cheaper.

A 42 ring will be too big unless you get a 11-46 cassette.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m running a 42 ring with an 11-42 cassette and run out of range pretty quickly when it’s pointed downhill. Will likely go to a 46t cassette. 42 ring is more reasonable for pure gravel but I do a mix of road/gravel.

The 42-42 at the other end is all but useless. I don’t think I’ve ever had to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
No idea about the Hope caliper. Merlin has the Hydro levers for cheaper.

The XT 10 speed rd is for use with an 11 speed cassette. It's the same geometry as the Ultegra rd, just cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Hope caliper is orange and has all the pots, what else do you need to know?! I didn't know it existed until yesterday, now its the glorious centrepiece of this upgrade :D

I couldn't see the R7020 levers on Merlin - Germans have them as a set though. They are the new lower profile ones, may as well go sleek.

I'm still open to putting an XT derailluer on, but I thought it had to be 11 spd to match the shifters. If I put a 10spd on an 11spd cassette, where do I lose out? At the smallest end? And will there be 11 clicks for 10 changes? And do I need to get the Tanpan to increase cable pull?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I’m running a 42 ring with an 11-42 cassette and run out of range pretty quickly when it’s pointed downhill. Will likely go to a 46t cassette. 42 ring is more reasonable for pure gravel but I do a mix of road/gravel.

The 42-42 at the other end is all but useless. I don’t think I’ve ever had to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not after high speeds on the downhill or flatroad - just want a sensible range for cruising to work and taking on gravel roads.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Well, good price, but have you seen the Hopes?!
Yes, they're very perdy. And I am not one to get in the way of anyone's bling needs :cool:

I like them for their anti-bling truth be told... I think I might have to try some myself, replacing the two piston ones I have on there now. I run a 140 on the rear and its a bit underwhelming - but a 160 looks naff on the back of a roadie...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
130BCD? I thought that stuff went the way of the dodo.
A good reason to stick wiht a Roadie rear derailleur is that the cable tension barrel adjust is on the Derailleur, rather than the shifter on them. Can make getting tensions SUPER tricky if you're mixing mountain derailleur with roadie shifter.
Yup my first monstercross build had barrel adjusters everywhere lol. But dude, you are supposed to talk him into di2....

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
130BCD? I thought that stuff went the way of the dodo.

Yup my first monstercross build had barrel adjusters everywhere lol. But dude, you are supposed to talk him into di2....
It might be 110 BCD (or something else haha) - I was just adding to cart to start building a list.

There will be no di2 :)

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Yes, they're very perdy. And I am not one to get in the way of anyone's bling needs :cool:

I like them for their anti-bling truth be told... I think I might have to try some myself, replacing the two piston ones I have on there now. I run a 140 on the rear and its a bit underwhelming - but a 160 looks naff on the back of a roadie...
Its already got 160mm rotors - granted they are Tektro or Promax or something - but this isn't a roadie either :)