Snakes

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Yay, spring time! Camped up near Buxton this week for some school holiday activity.. went hiking up to Steavenson falls and then along the track to Keppel lookout and back down to the car park - had to take a 5 minute break at one point to watch a pretty shiny black snake slowly make it's way along the walking track in front of us.
Next day we did a lap of the Buxton MTB park #2 loop and we were almost at the end of Spider Gulley - my young lad in front was going over the last log roll and as he cleared it I saw this big black snake jump up and writhe around.. he must have hit it with his front wheel. We were moving reasonably fast, probably around 25 or so and I was following maybe 2 meters behind so it was scary AF to see a 1.5m snake jump and wriggle next to him... and then I had to whiz past since I was going too fast to stop and the track was too narrow to avoid it. Jesus.

So 2 snakes in 2 days up near Marysville. I think it was the same type each time but I couldn't tell you what type of snake is in an Allens Snakes lolly bag let alone identify one wriggling along the track. They were both shiny black on top and it looked like they had a white-ish abdomen.
I have only ever ridden at Buxton once ,

And my ride was spoilt somewhat from a scary snake encounter as well ,

Very similar , was no stopping , had to ride straight past it up close and personal

kbekus

Likes Dirt
This is the critter we came across while hiking. Crappy small photo cos ain't no way I was getting closer... but the snake was only maybe 60-75cm long. The one we came across at Buxton was easily 3x longer and thicker around.

upload_2018-10-2_9-43-54.png

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Saw one on this evenings ride... at our local park, nice singletrack along the creek, off leash doggens. Had just done a climb and then bombed halfway down to the creek. Was waiting for Sue and the dogs, as they arrived I looked ahead and there was the black tail of a joe blake across the trail. It was moving but not fast enough, so I suggested we go the other way. I was worried about the dogs getting onto it. Normally I would bomb to the bottom, and I would have ridden over it for sure. Anyway my wife is terrified of them so I just shut the fuck up.

cogs19

Likes Bikes
First snake of the season. Tiger snake on yarra trails near Fairfield amphitheatre. Presumably sunning itself on the trail, sensed me coming and tried to get out of the way, realised I was coming fast so it panicked and really took off. I nearly rolled over it, and locked up the brakes as I went past kicking up gravel and dust so it reared up. It looked pretty angry. Pretty much ruined my 90 minute ride (which I was approximately 10 seconds in to).

stirk

Burner
First snake of the season. Tiger snake on yarra trails near Fairfield amphitheatre. Presumably sunning itself on the trail, sensed me coming and tried to get out of the way, realised I was coming fast so it panicked and really took off. I nearly rolled over it, and locked up the brakes as I went past kicking up gravel and dust so it reared up. It looked pretty angry. Pretty much ruined my 90 minute ride (which I was approximately 10 seconds in to).
Snake encounters don't ruin the ride they enhance it.

Not only do you get to see a wild snake the adrenaline of getting the shit scared out of you kicks your riding into overdrive!

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Snake encounters don't ruin the ride they enhance it.

Not only do you get to see a wild snake the adrenaline of getting the shit scared out of you kicks your riding into overdrive!

Yeah, but the problem is for the rest of the ride every stick you that see you convince yourself it's a wiggly one.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I hate this thread.

I trail build alone fairly regularly. A bit of machete-ing grass and lifting old logs. I feel like I shouldn’t now

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hate this thread.

I trail build alone fairly regularly. A bit of machete-ing grass and lifting old logs. I feel like I shouldn’t now
Wouldn’t worry too much just be cautious and sensible.. So many snakes stories in this thread are about the yarra trails in melb. It is full of snakes, highest concentration of tiger snakes in Victoria.. It’s hard not to see one for the season down here..
I have cleared trail in waist high grass, in a flood plain, that is chock full of snakes.. Didn’t see one. Next ride through there I see 2.. I reckon we get onto them faster than they can get out of the way..

Flow-Rider

Burner
Wouldn’t worry too much just be cautious and sensible.. So many snakes stories in this thread are about the yarra trails in melb. It is full of snakes, highest concentration of tiger snakes in Victoria.. It’s hard not to see one for the season down here..
I have cleared trail in waist high grass, in a flood plain, that is chock full of snakes.. Didn’t see one. Next ride through there I see 2.. I reckon we get onto them faster than they can get out of the way..
Don't worry they'll be watching you, hiding in the leaves and long grass.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cruising with the kid along the Williamstown bike path and almost rode into this guy that was literally snaking up the pathway on a mission View attachment 348093
Western or inland taipan?

Someone told me recently that the big ones don't always bite with venom, can be a snake gummy, but the little ones are almost guaranteed to and therefore more dangerous? They also said those taipans can go through a layer of clothing, and recalled the story of an energex guy inspecting powerlines and getting bit, and found later. He prob never saw it, they suggested it may have been as fast as 3-4mins.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Western or inland taipan?

Someone told me recently that the big ones don't always bite with venom, can be a snake gummy, but the little ones are almost guaranteed to and therefore more dangerous? .
Tiger
With browns a dry bite is more likely from an adult than a little guy. I'm not so sure about other types.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Tigers will also dry bite if the need arises. I don't know the mechanics behind it, but apparently it takes a bit of effort to cook up a batch of venom, so they tend to use it sparingly unless they want something dead so they can eat it, or if one warning bite isn't enough to make the threat piss off.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Havn't come across one this season yet. But misses is already in the lead with on confirmed misplaced step. Last season I saw 5 snakes, but she confirmed stepped on one and accidently brushed another. Yes, she is an iphone zombie even on hikes.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Eastern Brown in the backyard sometime today......

Dog found it sometime this morning

Last edited: