XC GT XCR5000

link1896

Mr Greenfield
A scuba yellow MY2000 Gt XCR5000 iDrive got me back into MTB after a decade off the bike, about 16 years ago, so I have a soft spot for them. This is a work in progress, it's going to take me a fair while with all the custom work planned. Plus so far the parts list is pretty much a wish list, I do know it's going to be a 2x10 or 2x11 bike, and I'm not very flexible on the build kit.

Frame will be stripped back, polished and painted in scuba yellow with pearl flakes in the clear coat. Fork lowers I don't know what colour yet, maybe pearl white. Rims are going to be air brushed with a snake skin effect.

The most challenging part will be pressing out the tapered steerer in some 2017 pikes and turning up a custom, 1 1/8th steerer from solid 6061 ally, with a custom crown race that bridges the gap out to the crown. Will set the pikes to about 130mm travel, will make them dual air with custom piston head. Bike will be ridden on XC/trail so I'm not too concerned lifting up the front end, the gusset is fuck off huge, and the headtube wall is very thick. Still, if I brake my face, I've got no one to blame but myself.

Frame - MY2000 GT XCR5000
Rear shock - CCDB IL Air 165 x 38
Front shock/fork - 2017 Pike rtc3
Handlebars - Enve Sweep
Stem - unknown yet
Headset - Cane Creek
Grips - Oury for life
Saddle - Specialized Phenom 2
Seatpost - Pro BikeGear old school fixed (dropper won't fit, maybe Cyclocross dropper will)
Front brake - Guide RS with 200mm centerline
Rear brake - Guide RS with 200mm centreline
Cranks - SRAM XX 39-26
Bottom bracket - Hope With GXP adapters
Chainguide -
Chain - KMC
Pedals - Crank Brothers Egg Beaters
Front derailleur - SRAM XX
Rear derailleur - SRAM XX
Front shifter - SRAM XX
Rear shifter - SRAM XX
Cassette - SRAM XX XG-1099 11-36
Front hub - HOPE pro4 100x15
Rear hub - Hope pro4 135x10
Front rim - Light Bicycle 26" carbon
Rear rim - Light Bicycle 26" cRbon
Spokes - Sapim Laser
Nipples - Sapim Brass
Tyres - maybe nobby nic?
Sealant - stans
Total weight -

Here is a picture of how she currently sits. Soon to be just a frame.

Here is the airbrushed snake skin effect on the rims I'm shooting for.

Last edited:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Looks like a cool build mate. Still miss the STS I did a modern build on.

When are you taking orders for steerer conversions? I can't move on from my first dually and would love to get something decent with a thru-axle onto it.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Ripped all the junk parts off of her except the really stuck bb. Some parts will be used to get @ctguru 's junky Giant XTC2 (that looks like it spent 6 months in the rain) going on a stationary mag trainer. Who actually needs brakes on a mag trainer anyway

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I rebuilt an old Avanti that had a stuck BB. Ended up soaking it in possum's piss for a few days and used tge electric impact gun when I couldnt get it to budge with a breaker bar. The rattly bit did the trick.

That ali looks like 1909 to me!

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rebuilt an old Avanti that had a stuck BB. Ended up soaking it in possum's piss for a few days and used tge electric impact gun when I couldnt get it to budge with a breaker bar. The rattly bit did the trick.

That ali looks like 1909 to me!
That's my trick for manifold bolts and anything that looks sized. Rattle gun will be a much better bet than a big breaker bar.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The rotating bb is the challenge, all the force is going through the dog bone when trying to break bb loose. Might have to fully disassemble and soak in acetone/ATF for a bit.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Make a few spare dogbones, say 123.
Yes. When I pulled it apart I was pondering if I can improve the design, I’ve many memories of clunk clunk clunk.

No room for bearings. Spare dog bones with DU bushings is the only option. Will make some new bolts too with smooth shanks

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yes. When I pulled it apart I was pondering if I can improve the design, I’ve many memories of clunk clunk clunk.

No room for bearings. Spare dog bones with DU bushings is the only option. Will make some new bolts too with smooth shanks
I made several styles for #1's idrive5. Used to carry a couple and spare bolts on rides.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Exuberant riding I guess. No real idea. They would bend or shear. Broke some NOS genuine and gave up on them.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's strange, I haven't had any issues with breaking mine other than the loud creak from the pivots every 6 months but service it and it goes away. Had it for 5 years and still riding it now, replaced the bearings and bushes in it once.