Thredbo 2018/19

featherplucker

Likes Bikes
Ladies and gents,

Just bought a Thredbo 365 pass for the coming season, seemed pretty good value including winter access. Has anyone heard of any new trails being built for the summer season? I noticed (now that the snow is melting down low) a fresher berm and trail cut right near kosi express over the weekend that wasn't there last year, is this a new trail or just a new exit from the AM trail? Keen.

climberman

Likes Dirt
Ladies and gents,

Just bought a Thredbo 365 pass for the coming season, seemed pretty good value including winter access. Has anyone heard of any new trails being built for the summer season? I noticed (now that the snow is melting down low) a fresher berm and trail cut right near kosi express over the weekend that wasn't there last year, is this a new trail or just a new exit from the AM trail? Keen.
There were some late season tweaks to the AM last year over the FF side, and a new exit at bottom of Kozzie chair.

I don't think there are any full new tracks planned for this season.

I think that by the end of the year the TVT will go all the way to Jindy. They are also looking to extend it up the hill to Dead Horse Gap

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know a few of the Thredbo crew and they've been given "permission" by npws to put in 5 new trails over the next 5 years, I was told this was back early 2017. That said it's not as easy as that. They need to put in all sorts of digging plans etc to make it all happen. I'm hoping there'll be something new waiting for me on opening weekend in Nov!!!!

featherplucker

Likes Bikes
How good would 5 new trails be down there. Such untapped potential, so much variety of terrain and pitch differences. Could really be a NSW bike park competitor and Mecca if there was more on offer. We can dream.

sbm

Likes Bikes
I got a 365 pass too, I'm lucky enough my family skis down there. I have a lot of practice to do on the bike, it's frustrating being able to comfortably ski any run and do a wide open lap sub-3 minutes in winter - and then be a slow, scared kook riding the brakes down the same slope on a bike in summer!

I'll warn everyone about going down early this year, it's been another big snow season, there is still a heap of snow around now (check the cams). I'd expect the top of the AM trail to be under snow until well into December.

sbm

Likes Bikes
I know a few of the Thredbo crew and they've been given "permission" by npws to put in 5 new trails over the next 5 years, I was told this was back early 2017. That said it's not as easy as that. They need to put in all sorts of digging plans etc to make it all happen.
If you're wondering how they ever got permission to strip half the hill for ski runs, the answer is the ski resorts actually predate the national park. It was Kosciuszko State Park until 1967. The early days of the ski resorts were pretty cowboy, there's stories about them getting permission to cut a ski run, and then "accidentally" pushing the bulldozer for another half a kilometer. Definitely a bit different these days.

I got a 365 pass too, I'm lucky enough my family skis down there. I have a lot of practice to do on the bike, it's frustrating being able to comfortably ski any run and do a wide open lap sub-3 minutes in winter - and then be a slow, scared kook riding the brakes down the same slope on a bike in summer!

I'll warn everyone about going down early this year, it's been another big snow season, there is still a heap of snow around now (check the cams). I'd expect the top of the AM trail to be under snow until well into December.
Megavalanche !!!!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Back in the day there was a chairlift between Thredbo and Charlottes Pass, would be awesome to see a trail cross over the range to perisher/guthega. Would be almost like a miniature Europe where you can ride between countries, except in this case you could ride between corporations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Back in the day there was a chairlift between Thredbo and Charlottes Pass, would be awesome to see a trail cross over the range to perisher/guthega. Would be almost like a miniature Europe where you can ride between countries, except in this case you could ride between corporations.
This was the Thredbo end I believe.

Looks like this now

I believe 2 people died on it when they shut it in high winds and didn't get em off. Might be an urban legend though.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
This was the Thredbo end I believe.

Looks like this now

I believe 2 people died on it when they shut it in high winds and didn't get em off. Might be an urban legend though.
No deaths AFAIK

I frequented the original ski.com.au thread for a few years. It was a fascinating look at Aussie ski field history. It was an epic undertaking and plagued by bad luck where Ultimately the wind and highest snowfalls on record led to its demise and the company went into receivership.

The wiki on it reveals a lot of interesting details.

http://www.wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Thredbo_to_Charlotte_Pass_Chairlift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbm

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

Just an FYI, the top 1/3 of the Thredbo All Mountain trail will be closed this opening weekend due to ice/snow (not sure when it will open to be honest). The All Mountain trail will be open from the top of the Gunbarrel Express chairlift.

So if you want to ride the all mountain trail there will be a 'hike-a-bike' involved (although this usually keeps the track in good condition)
I called it in September.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So who is going this weekend for the opening of the season??? I’ll be there with a crew from Friday till Tuesday camping at Ngarigo. I’m in Tathra riding at the moment which is fun but I’m looking forward to the long fast descents and resting on the lift on the way up.

climberman

Likes Dirt
So who is going this weekend for the opening of the season??? I’ll be there with a crew from Friday till Tuesday camping at Ngarigo. I’m in Tathra riding at the moment which is fun but I’m looking forward to the long fast descents and resting on the lift on the way up.
Will be there with friends, staying a but further down at Diggings :)
Looking forward to it. Hurry up end of work!!

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Speaking with some crew down there..... word is they are going to run a couple of trails off the cannonball that will be B lines. They'll run off just after the jumps before going into Bunny Walk. The new finish to the All mountain is pretty fun too. Pissed I've got a mates wedding on the 8th so Cannonball is out for me this year. What really sucks, the Santa Cruz syndicate will be there, Peaty, Minaar, Vergier and also Hannah and apparently Bruni. Brooke Macdonald, Connor Feron....... Seriously GF and cannonball weekend should be in legislation as wedding free weekends.

I missed the new link at the bottom of the Am track, given the top of the AM track was closed and the slog it was to start the bit that was open I just stuck to the flow trail and had a dabble on the DH track.

Had the top been open I would have alternated the AM track with the Flow.