What do your kids ride?

moorey

call me Mia
I don’t get your point though. You said it was under 7 kg, which I had trouble excepting, and it weighs in at 8.8, even though it claims 8.2.

John U

MTB Precision
I don’t get your point though. You said it was under 7 kg, which I had trouble excepting, and it weighs in at 8.8, even though it claims 8.2.
Nothing to get boss. I’m just straightening out my previous mistakes and pointing peeps in the direction of a light, cheapish 20”.

I weighed my daughters on feedback scales. Came in at 8.8kgs stock. That was 2 years ago. It’s possible that the current model weighs 8.2kg.

My sons old racing bmx was sub 7. Maybe I was thinking of its weight. Completely different beast though.

stirk

Burner
My 5 year old daughter needs a bike for a year, maybe 2 if pushing it. Really not sure what is good or bad in the 16 inch market!

I like the low handle bars of the Avalanche but it is steel frame and looks like only v-brakes which can be hard for a kid to use with force compared to the old stomp on it back pedally brake.

The Jamis I don't like the handle bars but the frame is alloy.

Thoughts on the handlebar height and brakes anyone? Still looking at other bikes but in this size the avalanche is the first with the low bars I've come across and I like it given that's how we ride, not with our hands at chest height.

Untitled.png

jamis.png

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
My 5 year old daughter needs a bike for a year, maybe 2 if pushing it. Really not sure what is good or bad in the 16 inch market!

I like the low handle bars of the Avalanche but it is steel frame and looks like only v-brakes which can be hard for a kid to use with force compared to the old stomp on it back pedally brake.

The Jamis I don't like the handle bars but the frame is alloy.

Thoughts on the handlebar height and brakes anyone? Still looking at other bikes but in this size the avalanche is the first with the low bars I've come across and I like it given that's how we ride, not with our hands at chest height.

View attachment 349436

View attachment 349437
Realistically though, how hard is she going to ride that V Brakes won't pull her up? My daughter's first bike was Vs and she was fine.

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
Have a look at the Vitus bikes from CRC. Proper geometry and decently light.

My four year old was happily doing skids with the V-brakes on his.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Realistically though, how hard is she going to ride that V Brakes won't pull her up? My daughter's first bike was Vs and she was fine.
I can rip skids on the V brakes on my daughters 16” but initially it was a struggle for her to get the strength to pull them hard enough. Now she’s ripping clouds of dust!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Anyones kids on one of these? https://www.commencal-store.com.au/ramones-16-shiny-red-2018-c2x23864707 considering one for my kid but unsure of how he'll go with no pedal brake after coming straight off a balance bike. Also thinking of this https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/...d/precaliber-16-boys/p/21910/?colorCode=black cheaper, can buy local and has a pedal brake.
Get the commencal, take off the pedals and cranks. Not having a coaster/back pedal brake was a non issue for my daughter. We set up her 16” Spawn as a run bike for a week or so and then on again with the crank/pedals and she was away.

The following is her progression over 4 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
7EDB1498-190F-47CB-96D0-9DF7D511AD1E.jpeg
Time to move on from the Cruzee balance bike up to a pedal bike for soon to be 4 year old.
Wanted a proper little bike, not a Kmart special. Ie heavy as fark and terrible geo = kid doesn’t want to ride it.
So narrowed it down to Spawn and Prevelo.
Both are designed from the ground up for kids.
Light weight tubing, kids sized cranks and brake levers etc and best of all it comes with free wheel kit installed.
No foot brakes which I think hampers learning how to ride well.
I only settled on Prevelo Alpha 2 16” because they do a raw frame which would have been superbly matchy matchy for my Raw GG Megatrail.
But in the end chose purple because she’s a girl and well, missus.
Only small bummer was the brakes came reversed because it’s a US company. So had to move them around. No biggie.
Overall super happy with the quality and the direct sales company were awesome to deal with.
Can’t wait until until Xmas morning. Is it wrong to be probably more excited about a pressie than my kid will be?

Edit: had a few more pics to show but system is not happy with them.