The "I will ride _____km in 2024" thread - commit and conquer here!!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
So, stats
5122kms
17,000m elevation

A lot of those hours spent slogging away on the trainer.
was going to say thats some crazy low elevation for 5000km's, a friend in singapore when he rides dips below sea level for a portion of his ride on one side of the isalnd, doesn't help his elevation numbers

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
You telling me I should ride on nature strips lol?
No bike paths in your hood?

I can bike path pretty much the full 15k from home to work on bike paths/lanes here in CBR. I just detour onto the maze of riding trails and fire roads between the two for a bit of daily fun.

#lovelivinginCBR

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
was going to say thats some crazy low elevation for 5000km's, a friend in singapore when he rides dips below sea level for a portion of his ride on one side of the isalnd, doesn't help his elevation numbers
When I used to ride there the most elevation I got was catching the lift back up to my apartment.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

I can bike path pretty much the full 15k from home to work on bike paths/lanes here in CBR. I just detour onto the maze of riding trails and fire roads between the two for a bit of daily fun.

#lovelivinginCBR
You're lucky. Council here created a "bike trail" here and all they did was put signs up on a one lane road between towns.... Awesome if you arrive with your young family and have to contend with cars coming up beside you...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
They also pump $$$ into MTB trails and parks here.

I love living here and I love that most other Australian's think that it's a boring shithole full of politicians.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Even better is my local trails are extremely flat, so I've gotta travel for that elevation.

For instance, I've done three rides this week on the MTB (Mon/Tues/Wed) for a total of 108kms and 200m of elevation. I guarantee you that most of that elevation gain is due to barometric changes rather than actual elevation too

Calvin27

Eats Squid

#lovelivinginCBR
Nah all roadie love where I am. To put into perspective, I used to commute on a fixed gear.... in skinny leg jeans.....

Scotty T

Walks the walk
OK I'm gunna set an ambitious target of 1000km of offroad riding.
Yeah I'm going to try get that or more for next year, last 5 years since i started again after several off (BMX racing and skating) went 242km, 500km, 621km, 775km and back to a sad roughly 300km this year.

Interested to know pre tracking apps, who used to keep track of their distance? I just stopped using speedo's in the 90s at some stage because they always broke on mtb's. I rode on and off for maybe 20 years with a vague idea how far I'd ridden. But if I'd had a phone back then that could do what they can now I totally would have.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice work . I'd been wondering what you'd been up to since finishing your training thread. Diet becomes so hard once you're trying to hit those numbers on a trainer day in day out. I've had to really start thinking about when I want to take in extra carbohydrates and timing etc. When your basal metabolic rate is around 2000 calories and your 1.5hr workout pushes 1200 calories alone you realise you've gotta eat so much more otherwise those workouts feel so much harder.
Mostly I've just been mucking around, tried crit racing and led some solid attacks, got yelled at a bunch of times by dicks, but it was not worth it seeing people getting taken out and cartwheeling off the track to be collected by ambos. Tried some mid distance mtb races ~50km, didn't actually like it tbh and I wanted out half way. Tried mass start rides, too boring and aimless. Tried mass start road race, more interesting but painful. Xert says I'm currently 4.3 but its theoretical vs the actual from a race. All said, I think I prefer Lazmo's approach to riding.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Urban mtb... most of my mid week rides involve urban mtb
If it gets you out then it is a good thing. Having your heart set on inaccessible during work days trails just gets your down.

I didn't appreciate my local trails, as small and repetitive as they can be, but think of the folks who have zero chance for a mid week blat. Enjoy what you have.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Alright year, couple of light months recently with back pain. Next year will be much less probably, have a baby on the way.

Distance 3,367.6 km
Time 171h 39m
Elev Gain 48,826 m
Rides 137

Minlak

custom titis
I’m actually amazed at how far I didn’t ride. I didn’t have a goal but I know I did training for the port and the actual port to port then I have felt I was fairly active since then. If you asked me I would say I average 40- 50 km a week. Strava says no you don’t lazy bones lol.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
Given I was out injured for a bit and I am a huge fat bastard, I was surprised at my stats for the year:

On Road
Distance 5824 km
Time 242h 9m
Elev Gain 54,795m
Rides 281

Off Road
Distance 1688 km
Time 149h 24m
Elev Gain 41,690m
Rides 128

safreek

This coming year I am going to aim for 2 rides a week, 20k per ride. Going to try and get some sort of tracking app that works. If I can't hit the track I will hit the local bike track on rous road, good luck on banging out 20ks on that little track on a dh though.
Fuel has been the major limiting factor with a bloody Pajero, 20 litres of juice for the hundred K round trip is a bummer

scblack

Leucocholic
I failed dismally on my goal of 4,000kms. Only did 2,600 or so. It’s been a difficult year. May post in Dozer’s 2018 thread.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IMG_1935.jpg

When i bought my bike in October - i had been made redundant .....
So . since Oct 6 i made a commitment to ride 1000km before New Years - I'm close ....But not game to check the odo on my bike .( edit - i checked , 5 days to go so only 25 km rides ? )

and there are a couple of days to go !

Keeping in mind i had ridden marginally up till that point , i feel pretty good .
My aim is to ride more of the Bike trails in Vic , Harcourt , Bright etc and do the Epic with a mate early next year .

Oh , and get a job .

Last edited: