Should I bin this carbon bar?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I bet you probably could, and would it make them any worse to ride? Probably not. It's a case of selecting the correct density though..

I see a trip to Bunnings in your future!
Might have to hit up my old final year project thesis and brush up on vibration mechanics lol.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Do you mean exclusively steal alloys or has there also been trouble with aluminium alloys?
Have cracked one set of (aluminium) alloy cranks, three alloy frames, and one steel frame. Frames were from commuting, alloy cranks were on the MTB, and let go without warning when I put the power down.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Some of those aluminium bars are getting very thin in the ends and they rely on surface treatments for added strength. I cut a set of Kore bars with a pipe cutter and on the second turn I heard a loud crack and the end just fell off.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Steel is an alloy.
For the metallurgists amongst us I have cracked one set of 6061-T6 alloy cranks, three 6061-T6 alloy frames, and one Reynolds 531 Cromo Steel frame. In addition now I think about it I should also add some Mavic rims (they apparently use a proprietorial alloy called Maxtal which I assume is similar to 6061) which cracked on the sidewall, plus some other generic OEM Orbea rims around the spoke holes which were likely 6061 or some derivative.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Giant bars too I assume?

Anything Giant needs to go.
They were. What’s wrong with Giant stuff...? They make their own carbon, didn’t think anyone was dissing their carbon manufacturing nous these days.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Guess I didn’t ride either of my medium Anthems hard enough..
There's a question nobody needed to ask!

For the metallurgists amongst us I have cracked one set of 6061-T6 alloy cranks, three 6061-T6 alloy frames, and one Reynolds 531 Cromo Steel frame. In addition now I think about it I should also add some Mavic rims (they apparently use a proprietorial alloy called Maxtal which I assume is similar to 6061) which cracked on the sidewall, plus some other generic OEM Orbea rims around the spoke holes which were likely 6061 or some derivative.
But no issues with bronze alloys?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Rule of thumb. If you have to ask if something is too damaged to use, it is.
+1. I doubt anyone here would say it was all good to use, and then have it on their conscience when your carbon bars fail horribly. and on a sketchy trail.