Best SUV?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
the tow bar limit is the reason I did not buy either the Tiguan or Yeti. The Tiguan has just 100kg towball limit and the Yeti an abysmal 75kg.
2001 forester, I've had a q spear and 4 downhill bikes on the back no worries, be safe about it though and strap the end of the rack to the back of the roof racks, plenty strong enough just very flimsy without the strap. Worth keeping in mind if you end up taking a load of bikes.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Shame all those old airports full of new cars rotting away because the car industry fucked up the numbers and couldn't sell them. Repay that eco debt.

I'm so happy to drive a 30 year old car done 400k and gets 10-11 km per ltr. That's better than many new cars. Repaid its eco cost and then some compared to the throw away new car industry you seem to support.

No oil or smoke from me, I see more of that belching out of brand new range rovers and VW and any euro diesel.

Must be a computer glitch...
Obviously you are replacing like for like in this scenario, an "equivalent" to whatever it is you drive would presumably use less fuel. If you replace an old mini with a new range rover then obviously the outcome is different to replacing a 20 year comformadoor with with a new prius (and yes, it is nonsense about the impact of batteries, they're fine).

I dont support or not support the car industry, simply relaying facts. I also loath all diesels, even euro ones - will enjoy seeing them regulated to death and we can all breath a little easier.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Shame all those old airports full of new cars rotting away because the car industry fucked up the numbers and couldn't sell them. Repay that eco debt.

I'm so happy to drive a 30 year old car done 400k and gets 10-11 km per ltr. That's better than many new cars. Repaid its eco cost and then some compared to the throw away new car industry you seem to support.

No oil or smoke from me, I see more of that belching out of brand new range rovers and VW and any euro diesel.

What on earth are you talking about?

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
The boot space is abysmal on those things, but apart from that they're not too bad. DSG or manual?
Manual.

How much and how old if you don't mind?

Watch the tow bar weight capacity (as opposed to towing capacity). The Skoda yeti, which I believe is similar, can't handle a large amount of weight on the tow bar.
90000kms for $12222.20. The Golf wagon I found was probably a better deal, 60000kms for $13000. If anyone wants that car PM me asap. The guy had an overseas posting and is selling to a car yard today I think. It's diesel too.
I need AWD for snow trips and medium strips.
I only ever have one or two bikes on rack. I think one bike will fit in okay, but baby seat in back seat makes that a PITA. Lots of boot space really, rear seats move forward but still function. wheel arches are close to chuck a bike in though.
Tiguan drives very nice, not stretched it out on the highway though. foot well is pretty tiny, think they looked at the old beetle format for that.
still looking at a Mazda CX7 for second car.

redbruce

Eats Squid

+1. Don't know where a typical life of 200,000k comes from either, at least for the "gas guzzlers". Must be referring to Euro and old world asian four cylinder eco's.

My old girls, VX Commodore (303,000K) and 1998 Honda VFR 800 (265,000k) have been both more reliable and cheaper to own than the many Euro counterparts I have owned in the past, none of which have made it beyond 220,00 ish before major cost/work (<150,000 for the Italian bikes).

Car uses less than 1 litre and the bike less than 300ml of oil/10,000k . Commodore does 8.5 - 9 l/100km on a trip, 11.5 around town and can tow my caravan or my mates 4.7m boat.

In any case the VFR is my main transport (5L/100Km) so I'm doing my bit (and having fun at the same time:).

Last edited:

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
my VW van i had to start with windows up to let warm up, this thing I can't smell with wndows down.
I was joking, also, one of the worst things you can do is leave a car to idle to warm up. It's nowhere near as bad these days with tighter tolerances and EGR but still you are far better off just jumping in and driving the thing, as long as you don't flog the hell out of it.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I exaggerate a little but the problem still exists from time to time.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/unsoldcars.asp
You exaggerate "a little" ??
Did you actually read the article you posted the link to?
I did.
In a nut shell, most of these photos were taken immediately after the GFC when vehicle sales unexpectedly slumped. Others show national vehicle storage facilities that are always full of cars being stored pre distribution. A new car is sold every 20 seconds in the UK, that's one hell of a lot of cars to store somewhere pre distribution
US sales dropped to 9 million a year, they have since rebounded 78%

stirk

Burner
You exaggerate "a little" ??
Did you actually read the article you posted the link to?
I did.
In a nut shell, most of these photos were taken immediately after the GFC when vehicle sales unexpectedly slumped. Others show national vehicle storage facilities that are always full of cars being stored pre distribution. A new car is sold every 20 seconds in the UK, that's one hell of a lot of cars to store somewhere pre distribution
US sales dropped to 9 million a year, they have since rebounded 78%
Sorry didn't have time to read it, too busy putting an alvio cassette onto my XT hub.

No Skid Marks

I was joking, also, one of the worst things you can do is leave a car to idle to warm up. It's nowhere near as bad these days with tighter tolerances and EGR but still you are far better off just jumping in and driving the thing, as long as you don't flog the hell out of it.
Yeah true. It Was just a figure of speech to explain how much shit it pumps out cold. I just let it run for a minute to get oil to top of engine etc then drive gently for five minutes or whatever.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
It's not bad to let an engine warm up a little, get the oil flowing. People get off the train, race to their car jump in l, start the engine and race off immediately to beat the queue out of the car park. That is not kind to the engine.

However I think the oil quality/freshness and temp rating for your climate are just as if not more important to engine longevity.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Manual.

90000kms for $12222.20. The Golf wagon I found was probably a better deal, 60000kms for $13000. If anyone wants that car PM me asap. The guy had an overseas posting and is selling to a car yard today I think. It's diesel too.
I need AWD for snow trips and medium strips.
I only ever have one or two bikes on rack. I think one bike will fit in okay, but baby seat in back seat makes that a PITA. Lots of boot space really, rear seats move forward but still function. wheel arches are close to chuck a bike in though.
Tiguan drives very nice, not stretched it out on the highway though. foot well is pretty tiny, think they looked at the old beetle format for that.
still looking at a Mazda CX7 for second car.
They're mental with fuel economy, most of the time I see 7.2L/100km but thats mostly 5km trips for school drop offs. . Highway trips I can get about 5.8l/100km.
I must just struggle fitting shit in the back of mine as I've got 2 kids. No chance in hell of me getting a bike in the boot either, but I'm also 6'3". Boot space is still my biggest issue with mine, but it'd be made a lot easier if I actually went out and bought a bike rack.

Less issues with manual as I understand it, mine's the DSG.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
It's not bad to let an engine warm up a little, get the oil flowing. People get off the train, race to their car jump in l, start the engine and race off immediately to beat the queue out of the car park. That is not kind to the engine.

However I think the oil quality/freshness and temp rating for your climate are just as if not more important to engine longevity.
No that is not all that kind on the engine.

The quicker you can get the car off choke the happier your bores and pistons are in the long run, petrol thins the oil and alloy pistons are small when cold. The oil galleries are in parallel(probably not the correct terminology) so as soon as there is a restriction at the crank it's going elsewhere so the cams possibly get oil before the little ends.

If you are super concerned fit an electric primer or an accumulator, that will do a bunch more than running the car before you take off.

No Skid Marks

They're mental with fuel economy, most of the time I see 7.2L/100km but thats mostly 5km trips for school drop offs. . Highway trips I can get about 5.8l/100km.
I must just struggle fitting shit in the back of mine as I've got 2 kids. No chance in hell of me getting a bike in the boot either, but I'm also 6'3". Boot space is still my biggest issue with mine, but it'd be made a lot easier if I actually went out and bought a bike rack.

Less issues with manual as I understand it, mine's the DSG.
Seat post out or slammed and seats flat would gets bike in wouldn't it?
You happy with your otherwise?
Seems a very nice car to drive around town etc. I'm coming from driving vans for the last few years though.
My Mum saw it, who gets a free new Lexus wagon every year due to step dads job with Toyota(they have to give old Lexus back or buy it), Mum saw the Tiguan(got new Lexus that day)and said I want that, the Lexus has too much gizmo shit and is bigger this year. She hates the new one every year though as the tech freaks oldies out.
I agree to an extent, give me a normal handbrake please, not some fricken button that probably locks the gearbox or something.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree to an extent, give me a normal handbrake please, not some fricken button that probably locks the gearbox or something.
This. I helped a guy on the weekend fish his keys out of a drain that he'd parked his car above. But being a flash new car it wasn't possible to put in 'neutral' and roll it out of the way without the key, at that point sitting in the drain. Clever.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Bit of a bump, not that I'm into cars much, but.....

...the new Jimny comes out in a couple of weeks.

I'm not really considering one, but I really like the idea of a compact 4wd and there are not many around. They seem like they are not great for long distance / highway drives though...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
They would probably be fine on the highway (as in able to do the speed limit), long drives (ie: camping) they are pretty space limited. I had a '91 Sierra which is about the same size and you couldn't fit much in it. SWB 4WD's are a blast offroad though and stupidly capable. I reckon they'd be a fun car if you were moving up from a small hatchback or similar and were familiar with the compromises. I'd like to have one, but budget says no...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Bit of a bump, not that I'm into cars much, but.....

...the new Jimny comes out in a couple of weeks.

I'm not really considering one, but I really like the idea of a compact 4wd and there are not many around. They seem like they are not great for long distance / highway drives though...
I like these. A proper 4WD. Big enough for some camping gear and a bike rack on the back :) They're getting rave reviews for their off road capability.

Would be pretty compromised for city/highway work, but you don't buy a 4WD for on road suburban use.

Oh wait...