29er with 170mm fork

Hoffa02

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

I am thinking about increasing my fork travel on my enduro 29 from 160mm to 170mm and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with upgrading their 29er with a 170mm fork - good or bad

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi All,

I am thinking about increasing my fork travel on my enduro 29 from 160mm to 170mm and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with upgrading their 29er with a 170mm fork - good or bad

Thanks in advance

Why are you looking to upgrade? It’s probably unlikely that you would be able to detect the extra 10mm travel when you’re actually on the bike.

The real difference and the noticeable change would be a higher bottom bracket and slacker head angle.

Depending on the year, the Enduro is already pretty slack, and one of the better traits of the bike is the low bottom bracket which gives a nice stable feel.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi All,

Thanks in advance

Which fork? Pike, lyrik, yari, revelation etc just need a 170 air shaft. You can play around with the sag and number of tokens and you may end up with a slightly more plush ride.

Last edited:

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Which fork? Pike, lyrik, yari, revelation etc just need a 170 air shaft. You can play around with the sag and number of tokens and you may end up with a slightly more plush ride.
Max on Pike or Revelation is 160mm. Lyrik/Yari can be converted to 170mm.

Hoffa02

Likes Bikes
Why are you looking to upgrade? It’s probably unlikely that you would be able to detect the extra 10mm travel when you’re actually on the bike.

The real difference and the noticeable change would be a higher bottom bracket and slacker head angle.

Depending on the year, the Enduro is already pretty slack, and one of the better traits of the bike is the low bottom bracket which gives a nice stable feel.

Just really thinking about it doing the at the same time I upgrade the air spring - that was one of my concerns is that the bottom bracket will increase. Thanks mate

Hoffa02

Likes Bikes
Yeah i have a Lyric, so can go up to 170mm but as one of the other comments detailed the bottom bracket height, so thinking i may just leave it for now.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah i have a Lyric, so can go up to 170mm but as one of the other comments detailed the bottom bracket height, so thinking i may just leave it for now.
I wouldn’t let that stop you. 10mm extra travel equates to around 4mm bb height increase less an additional 2-3mm of sag. You’d be pretty good to notice a 1-2mm difference in bb height!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Are you swapping the air shaft for the newer Debonair version ? If so, I’ve found with both of my shafts that they sat down in static travel by a few mm, which wasn’t the case with the older solo air shafts. Thus a 170mm debonair shafts may only sit at 165mm anyway. My experience only.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you swapping the air shaft for the newer Debonair version ? If so, I’ve found with both of my shafts that they sat down in static travel by a few mm, which wasn’t the case with the older solo air shafts. Thus a 170mm debonair shafts may only sit at 165mm anyway. My experience only.
This can be due to grease blocking the indent which allows the positive and negative air chambers to equalise. I initially had the same issue except a little worse, sitting about 15mm short of full travel when unweighted.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
This can be due to grease blocking the indent which allows the positive and negative air chambers to equalise. I initially had the same issue except a little worse, sitting about 15mm short of full travel when unweighted.
Yeah, I’m aware of that but I’ve checked and had out 3 times now without improvement. When I find time again !