Confessions from the fuckwits

BorisBC

Likes Bikes
Didn't pack my tools today. Front derailleur cable on the commuter decided to come loose so I only had the small chain ring. It made for a slow but leisurely ride home.

scblack

Leucocholic
+1. Time ATAC or nothing. As rule US pedals are garbage and french are good.
Except on the roadie.

I had three pairs of Look pedals break, from normal riding. And the cleats wear out quickly.

My Shimano Ultegra pedals have lasted three years now, and the cleats last much much longer.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Except on the roadie.

I had three pairs of Look pedals break, from normal riding. And the cleats wear out quickly.

My Shimano Ultegra pedals have lasted three years now, and the cleats last much much longer.
May I state the obvious that Shimano is Japanese?
US pedals for road... Speedplays. Not exactly sucky but...

scblack

Leucocholic
May I state the obvious that Shimano is Japanese?
US pedals for road... Speedplays. Not exactly sucky but...
May I state the obvious that Look is French.
Look pedals didn't last. They clipped in and out better but a waste of money.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Time ATAC for both.

You get weird looks from roadie tossers, but one pair of shoes and the knowledge your pedals won't break ;)

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Bought a set of Crank Brothers Mallet Es about 12-18 months ago, to try clipless on the mountain bike. Had been riding clipless for years on the road bike, never had any issue getting out of them in a hurry. Was really struggling with Crank Brothers, had a number of tumbles (10+) when I stalled on steep climbs and couldn't unclip. Difficulty was if the crank wasn't at the top of the stroke, the toe of my shoe would hit the crank and I couldn't twist far enough to get out. Plan was to get a Long Spindle kit to create a bit of space. Had a spare pair of new cleats lying around so decided to fit the new ones. Was then that I realised that they are a reversible design. I'd been running them at 20 deg release angle. Changed back to 15deg and haven't had an issue since. Suddenly so easy to eject.

TL;DR: installed cleats wrong, fell over lots still clipped in.
Makes a difference eh!! A great pedal once you sort that out. I love the float
^
Your confession could have just stopped at “Bought a set of Crank Brothers ...”
+1. Time ATAC or nothing. As rule US pedals are garbage and french are good.
Oddjob you buy based on price anyway. The more expensive the better they must be.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Aye, you're not old skool enough, Wee Lordy.

I own three sets, only one of which is composite, and they won't die either

But are you looking for Something like these?
My old timey times had a metal cage! I went to xt’s because all the new ones I found online had plastic cages (bleugh). Or cost a fortune.

I could’ve done without that link though tbh, house hunting atm and every doller has to go to that now apparently :)( she got a bloody car and I have to wait till later for fun stuff, ffs life aint fair).

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reminds me I have a set kicking around I should reuse. Also have a newish set of mx4 without cleats if anybody wants those for postage. Round bar, not the square stamped version.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
May I state the obvious that Look is French.
Look pedals didn't last. They clipped in and out better but a waste of money.
I use Look Keo2 Max and Max Blade for road and found them to be very very durable and they are lighter and have a bigger platform than Shimanos. The Exustar cleats and cleat covers are very cheap. I'm told the magnesium Exustar Keo knockoffs are also excellent.

I tried Speedplays and hated them. The cleats failed after one week of commuting.

Do they come with a metal cage yet?

Loved my old times
The Time Atacs have had a metal cage for ages. They used to be called Atac Z and now are called Atac Dh. There's also the enduro versions the Atac Speciale. In saying that I haven't had an issue running the plastic or carbon Mx series.
Oddjob you buy based on price anyway. The more expensive the better they must be.
Ah you have made a grievous error. I'm half asian which means that I like nice things but refuse to pay full retail. I'm genetically coded to love a bargain.

Price often doesn't say a lot about quality. Google Veblen goods and price discrimination.

scblack

Leucocholic
I use Look Keo2 Max and Max Blade for road and found them to be very very durable and they are lighter and have a bigger platform than Shimanos. The Exustar cleats and cleat covers are very cheap. I'm told the magnesium Exustar Keo knockoffs are also excellent.

I tried Speedplays and hated them. The cleats failed after one week of commuting.
Ihad Look Keo carbon models and on both the rear of the pedal near the clipping mechanism cracked. Happened to two pedals within a year for me. If they were durable I'd ride them in a heartbeat, they are wider and clip in and out better than Shimano.

Shimano cleats are more expensive but last a LOT longer I find.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Bought a new back mounted rack for the car...didn't do enough research and since discovered that long 29rs don't fit. D'oh

Bugger, looks like the big girl will stay travelling on the roof*.

*I'm actually more comfortable with it up there anyway with the general level of fuckwittery on the roads.

teK--

Eats Squid
Bought a new back mounted rack for the car...didn't do enough research and since discovered that long 29rs don't fit. D'oh

*I'm actually more comfortable with it up there anyway with the general level of fuckwittery on the roads.
What a shitty design!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers

Just drive into your garage with the Yeti on the roof - it will fit on the rear rack then.