AM The New Foxy29

BT180

Max Pfaff
The coil is great! With the trunnion mount having thr bearing the sensitivity is great. The suspension platform is quite linear so I've ordered a MRP Progressive spring to give it some progression towards the end of the stroke. The Michelins are fantastic in all conditions. These are my 2nd set and can't fault them.
Sorry, one more thing - can i ask how much you weigh and what spring you're using?

BT180

Max Pfaff
My buddy says on his Foxy that he's a 74 kg riding weight and finds he hits the bumper on a 400lb spring

I'll help you:

"but the Zero Suspension System is also relatively linear... Maybe you can see where I'm going with this: To the bottom, which is where the shock's stroke ended up a bit too often for my liking, despite being bang-on 30-percent sag. ''We choose the 'light' option as the bike's pedaling efficiency is superb; if we chose the 'medium' compression, it feels slightly overdamped,'' Mondraker's Israel Romero said in response to my criticism.

And he's right, too; this bike doesn't need a firmer compression tune for pedaling, but I would like to see more ramp-up. I could run a 400 in/lb spring (my bike came with a 350 in/lb coil), but then I'd get less sag and, well, I don't want less sag."

The Foxy works with a lighter spring in the first half of the travel due to the low starting to progressive LR, but then blows through all of that due to the marked regression in the second half. A firmer spring would counter that at the expense of the initial stroke.

For a coil shock you ideally want a progressive rate throughout the whole travel (e.g. 3 -> 2.2) allowing a firmer spring but still nice and sensitive though the initial stroke, then good ramp up through the mid and end stroke to avoid bottom out.

The Foxy just doest have this kinemetic. The MRP spring could possibly solve this.

Hi all

Im the ‘mate’ who couldn’t log in
Really intrigued about others running coils on foxys.

My foxy is a medium and ive had it since August last year. I ride Sydney sandstone trails which are somewhat unfriendly but lots of fun

Standard shock on my foxy was the dpx2 performance which is a great air shock. I also have a factory dpx2 on another bike as comparison

So the foxy with dpx2 has a bit of initial ‘chatter ‘ and brittleness probably due to its initial progression

After returning from a big day at Wairoa Gorge in NZ amongst other trails i wanted to get rid of that

I referred to Mondraker’s chart and it states the standard medium comes with a 350lb spring but given im around 74kg and ride trails that are not flat and flowy i heeded the charts recommendation and borrowed a 400lb spring for a DHX2

Its awesome!
Climbing tech terrain is so much easier
DH the bike rips. Its like a magnet has grabbed it and holds it to tbe trail

Sag looks to be less than my air shock which i need to run close to around 35% to get the right feel. So the coil sits around 20-25%

BUT It hits the bumper on larger drops . This is the annoying bit.

Just wondering if the 350lb you’re running is an mrp as its hard to understand how a 94kg rider can get away with that? I have been running zero LSC and zero HSC as the shim stack for after market DHX2 is firm

Im tossing up various tunes. Think a progressive mrp 400+ is the way to go as per Davos808 analysis which I completely agree with

What terrain do you ride with your coil wake Jake? How do you stop it bottoming out??

Photo of set up attached

Attachments

Hi all

Im the ‘mate’ who couldn’t log in
Really intrigued about others running coils on foxys.

My foxy is a medium and ive had it since August last year. I ride Sydney sandstone trails which are somewhat unfriendly but lots of fun

Standard shock on my foxy was the dpx2 performance which is a great air shock. I also have a factory dpx2 on another bike as comparison

So the foxy with dpx2 has a bit of initial ‘chatter ‘ and brittleness probably due to its initial progression

After returning from a big day at Wairoa Gorge in NZ amongst other trails i wanted to get rid of that

I referred to Mondraker’s chart and it states the standard medium comes with a 350lb spring but given im around 74kg and ride trails that are not flat and flowy i heeded the charts recommendation and borrowed a 400lb spring for a DHX2

Its awesome!
Climbing tech terrain is so much easier
DH the bike rips. Its like a magnet has grabbed it and holds it to tbe trail

Sag looks to be less than my air shock which i need to run close to around 35% to get the right feel. So the coil sits around 20-25%

BUT It hits the bumper on larger drops . This is the annoying bit.

Just wondering if the 350lb you’re running is an mrp as its hard to understand how a 94kg rider can get away with that? I have been running zero LSC and zero HSC as the shim stack for after market DHX2 is firm

Im tossing up various tunes. Think a progressive mrp 400+ is the way to go as per Davos808 analysis which I completely agree with

What terrain do you ride with your coil wake Jake? How do you stop it bottoming out??

Photo of set up attached
Ah sorry - you are running a 400lb. Is it a 400+ from mrp with the progression?

I don’t know how to stop the bottom out on the bigger drops. No way sm I going to wind on any more compression damping as the coil set up as is is spot on. Im using a reasonable amount of HSR

Im just hitting the bump stop. You can hear the thwap and feel the travel end / spike through your feet. Something I am not experiencing with the Air Shock.

I definitely don’t believe im oversprung as it was suggested here somewhere. The Mondraker suspension set up manual for the XR suggests a 400lb for my weight and I find that for climbing its sublime and for descents it’s like glue - compared to the dpx2 anyway.

I think that since Cesar Rojo left Mondraker they might not have the engineers to interpret the kinematic properly as its just not the right set up for a coil.

If @Wake Jake gets an mrp progressive Im interested if that is the answer but still am intrigued how you get away with a 400lb coil for your near 20kg higher weight than me.
Do you ride the bike even more foreward than it’s already long geometry? Ie: is your weight distribution super fork biased?

Or just ride the bike DH riding the fork mostly?

I don’t want to get the wrong coil or shock if upgrading

Cheers