Product Review Oddjob's cave of tyres

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Surprisingly or not a tyre with good tread but a slash in the sidewall can be permanently repaired with an inside patch + urethane glue.eg seamseal

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I ride quite a diverse set of of trails with 3 different bikes, trails are rocky, sandy, hard pack, loose over hard pack and not much loamy stuff on trails around here. This is the tyre (Onza Ibex FR folding tire 26x2.25 120 TPI FRC 55a)
that’s disappointing to read.

The c3 and the 120TPI definitely are older Skool / higher pressure type of design ... I did offer you a replacement ... but in 26 all we have is the DHC casing in wire bead. If that works for you PM me.

Al

Flow-Rider

Burner
that’s disappointing to read.

The c3 and the 120TPI definitely are older Skool / higher pressure type of design ... I did offer you a replacement ... but in 26 all we have is the DHC casing in wire bead. If that works for you PM me.

Al
Thanks for the offer Al but I patched it from the inside and I'm still riding on the tyre and I've never bothered to make a claim. I've actually got some of the Dh casings here in 2.4 for the front of the Enduro bike.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Surprisingly or not a tyre with good tread but a slash in the sidewall can be permanently repaired with an inside patch + urethane glue.eg seamseal
Yeah, that's what I done. I've tried patching with normal tube patches before, the sealant dissolves the patch and adhesive then makes it lift.
patch.jpg

Flow-Rider

Burner
@Oddjob

Goma went down today, now it's starting to look like I'm a tyre wrecker.

Never had this much trouble with tyres in last the 10 years of riding, either the rocks are getting sharper or the tyres are getting weaker.

20181230_184535.jpg
20181230_195521.jpg

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I've just lost my fourth perfectly good tubeless tyre in a couple of years, and every time it's the same failure mode: a small hole right where tyre meets rim. Sealant never seems to be able to deal with these.

There seems to be a lot of love for Maxis DHRs as a rear, but which compound? mtb direct have 3C Max Grip, 3C Terra and Dual Compound in 2.4 - Or maybe I should go 2.3 (no Max Grip compound here), perhaps that'll have a less vulnerable profile?

I think it's the sharp rocks at Stromlo that are doing this, but it never seems to be a big slash, always a little hole.

I don't run low tyre pressures.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
@Oddjob

Goma went down today, now it's starting to look like I'm a tyre wrecker.

Never had this much trouble with tyres in last the 10 years of riding, either the rocks are getting sharper or the tyres are getting weaker.

View attachment 349959 View attachment 349960
That tyre looks like its had a hard life. How old is it?

I would count on the latter. Your probably riding harder on a better bike.

Out of all the single ply casings the Vittoria tnt is the toughest I've found. They are doing a dual ply dh casing now which I'm keen to try.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
That tyre looks like its had a hard life. How old is it?

I would count on the latter. Your probably riding harder on a better bike.

Out of all the single ply casings the Vittoria tnt is the toughest I've found. They are doing a dual ply dh casing now which I'm keen to try.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
It's the sticky compound but even though it looks well worn it's not that old (200~300ks at that stage). It's definitely weaker than most other tyres that I've had on the back. Already on my third patched hole that will not seal by itself, got a maxxis minion ss silkworm exo on the other bike with more than twice the kms and even though it's got a lot slashes on the outside, it's never made me walk back to the car.

DH casings might be an option but trying to avoid it at this stage as I climb a lot and this bike is heavy enough as it is.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Looks like you might just need to get a new tyre? Shame, though. That one looks like it still has dozens of kms left in it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've sewn that one up with my 6lb braid spider wire and rode the tyre up until last Saturday, it's since sprung another leak else where and then I slashed the side wall but it's still not over yet.

Reactions: Zaf

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
So anyway, seeing as we're here to talk about tyres:

The new Hans Dampf are bloody great. Get onto 'em.

Flow-Rider

Burner
@Flow-Rider holy shit dude!! That poor tyre is just screaming "Let me die!!!" and you're doing the rubber (and ethical) equivalent of repeatedly waterboarding and reviving it.
I'm impressed and horrified all at once.
Read as above and yes I hate wasting for both reasons, economically and environmentally :p.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I've just lost my fourth perfectly good tubeless tyre in a couple of years, and every time it's the same failure mode: a small hole right where tyre meets rim. Sealant never seems to be able to deal with these.

There seems to be a lot of love for Maxis DHRs as a rear, but which compound? mtb direct have 3C Max Grip, 3C Terra and Dual Compound in 2.4 - Or maybe I should go 2.3 (no Max Grip compound here), perhaps that'll have a less vulnerable profile?

I think it's the sharp rocks at Stromlo that are doing this, but it never seems to be a big slash, always a little hole.

I don't run low tyre pressures.
Suggest you look at cushcore or huck norris to try and help with those type of punctures