E-Bike Batteries

bikie

Rock Bottom
Pretty dangerous and expensive. We all have them in our phones though.. $800 for a Shimano 500wh from my lbs.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
This is why I built my own ebike rather than build one. Bike specific batteries are great, but just like why we hate new 'standards' the real cost is when you need to replace stuff. For reference a quality 17Ah(36V) battery cost me $500.

Most ebike batteries are in fact just a bunch of 18650s stuck together.
what kit did you end up getting
what platform is it mounted to
post up a piccy if you have a good one

did your friend get the battery replaced in the end?
i repack ebike batteries with good cells, spotwelded. sanyo ga are usually good cells. depending on location, there might be folks that could do it for reasonable costs..

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The dangers of lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries are real and an ever present danger.

They have infiltrated modern life by stealth. The technology has become ubiquitous. With the never ending desire for cheaper and higher capacities, the occurrence of fires will only increase, while the public's vigilance is receding.

ALL lithium batteries larger then a mobile phone should be charged outside I believe. What is more inconvenient, a battery pack that spews it’s guts out in the house/workshop/garage, setting the house and contents on fire, or you walk outside?. The fumes released from a lithium battery fire are toxic. Insurance companies have at times had to write off entire houses when a fire from a large pack was able to be contained to one room, but the fumes spread throughout the house. Typically a lithium ion cell, when burning releases hydrogen fluoride. Some lithium-ion cell chemistries also release phosphoryl fluoride.

Both of these fluorides are nasty.

A mates husband is a seasoned residential insurance assessor and the information coming to light around lithium fires is forcing him to change his approach. He jokes he only just wrapped his and his teams heads around the pervasiveness of mould a few years ago, now this.

Extrapolating emissions of a 500-700Wh ebike battery fire in a 280 cubic meter house suggests toxicity levels per cubic meter could be between 25-250 times 1 hour survivability exposure thresholds. Asleep in a house with a battery fire, overcome by carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide exposure and unconscious, if they don’t get you, the fluorides will.

Last edited: