Latest eMTB tech

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Lost me at cvt lol. But I would have thought that one of the first things to go with a decent mid drive ebike would be the derailleur. Single pivots are the other thing that I would think match an ebike well. When you have more power, you don't really care for pedal bob. It also allows you to run a carbon belt making the back end much cleaner and ditching any sort of tensioning all together.
Assuming the belt holds up. A motorbike style o-ring chain would be better.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Assuming the belt holds up. A motorbike style o-ring chain would be better.
The bearings are more the issue. Belt drives require higher tension but from my experience on a commuter, I rekon they'd do ok on a mtb.

The point was however that ebikes haven't really explored what the benefits could be. Simple benefis like getting rid of the rd for example.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Sort of where I was going @Calvin27, but why restrict this to ebikes only? Ok, on a non -ebike you might need a battery to run the electronics that governs the gearbox ratio, but that's no different to etap / di2 etc. It's whether the CVT functionality can be separated from the motor that I was speculating on. If so, then it could be an alternative to fixed gear ratio pinion gearboxes on bikes like @Zaf's Nicolai. Instead of rigid mechanical gearing, the CVT plus electronics could give you any virtual gearbox setup you like.

Reactions: Zaf

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'm sure a self powered CVT would be possible.
That would be like a nuvinci. Defniately do-able. My read is that the electronics are there to sell their 'maintain cadence' stuff (effectively like and auto trans?!!).

Reactions: Zaf

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Can't be bothered starting a new topic for this as I'm not really interested, but I think Liteville have managed to make the best looking eBike I've seen:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Anybody know of ebike demos going in Sydney ... absolutely no intention of buying one right now ... but I wanna know if I can eat cake and still ride up hill

T-Rex

Template denier
Merida had a heap of them on demo at the mini enduro at Terry Hills a few weekends ago. I had a spin on one, sure beats using your legs on the climbs. I think the shop was based at St Ives...