Chainsaw advice....

moorey

call me Mia
I bought a 20yo husky cheap to fill an emergency hole after thinking I’d killed my 20yo stihl. Shooda fixed stihl straight away.
To be fair, the husky is an older non air injection, so the filter needs constant cleaning. The 365 onwards all so, and are sweet.
Stihl of same era and size almost never needs filter cleaning.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yeah no doubt they were....but I kinda grouped Stihl & Husqi into the same choice in my mind. It seems they are both excellent & both have their fans. I quickly came to the conclusion it was Stihl / Husqi.....or.....the rest.

If the same deal for a good second-hand saw was offered in the Stihl dealer I woulda done the same y'know. But there wasn't any to be had.

Dales Cannon & Moorey both bought (or buying) Husqi after long term Stihl ownership which was taken on-board also.
@moorey is going back to Stihl though, presumably because the Husky doesnt generate enough CO2.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Get the chop proof chaps or trousers, good gloves and eye and ear protection. Practice using the chain brake and always cut when you have firm footing and are balanced, keep your head back. If you drop start it I will get @Minlak to come down and sit on you. Dont be afraid of the saw but respect it. Keep observers away and dont lend it to my mate. Otherwise as you were. @moorey is spot on with the chain advice.
Roger! Will practise all the above.

I'm thinking something like this should keep me outta the ER?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
get a second chainsaw too while you're at it. If you get one stuck you'll be thankful for the second one and grab a few wedges from bunnings too

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Nice. Was about to buy a new stihl 391 or 461,when a mate decided to sell his 441 magnum. A couple of years old, but a beautiful machine with ample grunt. Can’t wait to test it. :D
Sweet. I can hear the wood trembling ;)

Maybe we need a new thread - PYS (Post your saw) ??

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
well put Moorey .
we would have people with a house block showing off a saw with a metre long blade powered by a V8 engine.
[ BTW someone did a V8 saw with extractors !!! ]

moorey

call me Mia
well put Moorey .
we would have people with a house block showing off a saw with a metre long blade powered by a V8 engine.
[ BTW someone did a V8 saw with extractors !!! ]
And a blower, from memory. It’s a thing in the US (of course)

moorey

call me Mia
I wish, I won’t embarrass myself posting my talon shitter
I’ll sell you my husky 265xp cheap. Old school cred. None of this fancy air injection or auto tuning shite.

One of the things I love about the new old 441 is no auto tune. Nuts to that bollocks. It’s the super boost and pressfit...or maybe the equivalent of whatever SRAM’s wireless shite is called.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Looking at some of these saws, I kinda feel inadequate with my little Husky 236 now.

It did cut down a 7m high avocado tree (dead) with a 50cm truck last weekend though and is nice and light. Probably has earned it's first service in 4 years !!

moorey

call me Mia
Looking at some of these saws, I kinda feel inadequate with my little Husky 236 now.

It did cut down a 7m high avocado tree (dead) with a 50cm truck last weekend though and is nice and light. Probably has earned it's first service in 4 years !!
If you’re not cutting big stuff, or lots, don’t get sucked into cock swinging.
Nothing worse than an overly heavy saw for smaller jobs, or if you’re lifting it lots.

We only have wood heating....in Ballarat.
I’m cutting at least a couple of ton, a couple of times a month. Lots of it is old, dry, large hardwood.

@Kingshill went and bought a Chinese 90cc behemoth with 6 foot bar to trim his townie hedge.

Edit. 50cm sounds small for a truck. :p

Last edited: