Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Calvin27

Eats Squid
If you aren’t talking about killing people, why are you talking about population control?
Actually being able to talk about the issue as a main contributing factor is the first and obvious step. The policy changes can be quite simple. Firstly unwind all the tax and family support incentives and then actively having a policy that discourages, say more than 2 or 3 kids. Maybe more tax or whatever.

Population management is an issue, but it doesn’t rate high in the priority list relating to the problem at hand.
That's completely incorrect. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa7541

It might not rate high on your list, but in terms of science it THE number one GHG mitigation action, and by a long shot.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Wow - two guys wrote a paper so it must be true.

Reading the synopsis, I fail to see any link between moving to CO2 neutral in 10 years & their argument.

The article is discussing this CC issue like we can resolve it over generations. We cannot. The more we talk about “population control will sort it”, the more we refuse to fix the problem NOW and deal with it NOW.

Again, read my mate’s website - it defines the problem & also defines the priorities.

Unless, again you propose population control via immediate implementation...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Wow - two guys wrote a paper so it must be true.

Reading the synopsis, I fail to see any link between moving to CO2 neutral in 10 years & their argument.

The article is discussing this CC issue like we can resolve it over generations. We cannot. The more we talk about “population control will sort it”, the more we refuse to fix the problem NOW and deal with it NOW.

Again, read my mate’s website - it defines the problem & also defines the priorities.

Unless, again you propose population control via immediate implementation...
I'm happy with immediate implementation. Can we start with Alan Jones and Kyle Sandilands.

If everyone makes me El Presidente for life I will have this problem sorted in 5 years. Hint Pell won't have to worry about a jail cell. (Now where did I leave my copy of Gulag Archipelago?)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
My mate did not write the content per se - or propose any direct solutions.

It’s a compilation of hundreds & hundreds of sources, peer reviewed.

Read it yet?
Sorry if that came off harsh, but I was just contrasting your dismissal of literature vs spruiking a website (both can be good, or bad, but irks me when people dismiss scientific literature as outright opinion).

No, haven't read your mate's website but I read plenty to keep me awake at night, given I'm a scientist with a large component of my research on the impacts of climate change. Read about agricultural run off, plastics in the ocean, poaching of animals / illegal smuggling, deforestation and pharmaceuticals in our waterways for some more fun topics!

I've also accepted that emissions aren't going to be curbed in time (not due to lack of means, but a lack of will), so am looking towards solutions to meet the demands of a growing population in a increasingly extreme and variable world with diminishing biodiversity.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I'm happy with immediate implementation. Can we start with Alan Jones and Kyle Sandilands.

If everyone makes me El Presidente for life I will have this problem sorted in 5 years. Hint Pell won't have to worry about a jail cell. (Now where did I leave my copy of Gulag Archipelago?)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Need a hand? I have a long wall for use come the revolution.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I've also accepted that emissions aren't going to be curbed in time (not due to lack of means, but a lack of will), so am looking towards solutions to meet the demands of a growing population in a increasingly extreme and variable world with diminishing biodiversity.
Tell me about it.

I’m shitting myself - and I don’t have kids to worry about. No one is insulated from CC - once supermarket shelves don’t contain what we need will we properly start to worry.

Question: if a CC skeptic lost their house in a catastrophic bushfire, one unprecedented in scale, would they too start to worry about CC? I’m not so sure they would...which is doubly terrifying.

John U

MTB Precision
Population control isn't going to happen. No one has gumption to raise it.

War and shortage of resources is the only way 'population control' is going to happen, and to we need to go way beyond the tipping point before we reach that level of commitment to anarchy and chaos.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Come on man even you know that is playing the extremes. I'm not even talking about killing anyone yet, on this trajectory, we will be killing each other when we ramp up the fight for resources. But honestly the tax system and the economy is based on perpetual growth and that is at odds with a more sustainable future. Plenty of non killing policies that can reduce population - you just have to look to realise how skewed the system is towards pro-population growth.
Ypu are though. A number of times you have advocated for the advantages of a war or pandemic as a way of significantly reducing the populace. I do note that at the second time you haven't offered yourself up for euthanasia? Are you suggesting that a war or pandemic that effects other people is what is needed?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Pell won't have to worry about a jail cell

Gulag
You are too kind. The better solution is nationalisation of pet food companies and a merger of pet food production and prison management. Unless you want to incorporate energy production as well? Prisoners apparently love the exercise yard. How many "hamster" wheels do we need to run the country?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Look mate I agree. But fixing the problem includes population control. Otherwise it's a case of drop in the ocean, chasing tail, screaming against the wind etc.

A number of times you have advocated for the advantages of a war or pandemic as a way of significantly reducing the populace.
Dude, I never advocated for it. Please do quote me. I have said a war would do it, but a bit of a stretch from 'hey lets start a war and kill people'.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Are you suggesting that a war or pandemic that effects other people is what is needed?
I am suggesting really simply policies, including reform of economic models that reduce population growth and emissions. The problem I highlight is basically on display here where as soon as I say population, people miss he numbers and start pointing fingers at how I want to murder people. Go figure.

Question, how much money do we give away for middle class family welfare and how much do we spend on environment?

John U

MTB Precision
Population growth worldwide is falling though, but we shouldn't rely on it.
Can't remember what the lecturer was referring to at Uni, but back in 1990 she stated that the earth had a sustainable capacity of 6 billion humans. Even that might have been optimistic but the acceleration of regularity of occurrence of major catastrophic events in nature, and the increase in known extinctions since we passed 6 billion makes me wonder.

The planet has been running over the redline for a while now.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Look mate I agree. But fixing the problem includes population control. Otherwise it's a case of drop in the ocean, chasing tail, screaming against the wind etc.

Dude, I never advocated for it. Please do quote me. I have said a war would do it, but a bit of a stretch from 'hey lets start a war and kill people'.
You have lots of times, I can't be fucked to go back through all the pages looking for it. On the plus side house prices will probably drop a fair bit if it happens.

Fuck it...I can be bother to scroll back a few pages and find this pearl of wisdom. Don't feel too alone, @Haakon may be more of a genocide apologist than you are. I hit all that dick swinging and e-car shit and my brain got melted all over again.

It's stuff like this that make me think 'technological solutions' will not save us and we simply have to cut numbers. Anarchy is good.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
BTW - I'm enjoying having this thread discussion.

This is certainly one of the more robust & mature places to discuss the end of this planet as we know it!