New Bike Park for Sydney - Glenworth Valley

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the Hornsby trails don't have nearly enough natural obstacles and technical sections (this may be the terrain though).
do you think being a council owned facility made it a bit more risk averse? not sure how a private venture's insurance would view it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's a bit worrying. Interesting move by Synergy to try and go from a trail builder to a facilities management outfit. They did an OK job in limited space at Hornsby, but it opened over a year late. I hope they refrain from over-engineering the Glenworth trails in the same way, the Hornsby trails don't have nearly enough natural obstacles and technical sections (this may be the terrain though).
...death gaps and senders!

Binaural

Eats Squid
do you think being a council owned facility made it a bit more risk averse? not sure how a private venture's insurance would view it.
Well, I doubt that the council bears any liability - I haven't checked but I am sure the signage at the trail entrances disclaims liability and advises that entry is at one's own risk. I think that it was probably a combination of limited space & unfavourable terrain, and having the budget to afford to pad things a little. It has resulted in trails that in my opinion are a bit too smooth, groomed and unchallenging, although I love being able to jump on a train to trails.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
So, this is from the Sydney MTB Riders FB Page, I don't know how accurate the comment is
Sounds odd to me.

A trail building company isn’t going to have resources or experience to run a tourist operation. Especially when the land is owned by another company who are already running outdoor adventure activities with all the legals and insurance in place.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Ya, doesn't sound right, and hope it isn't :)

But with Dirt Art managing Maydena, maybe they (Synergy) figured they could do a similar, albeit smaller scale, operation?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
interesting, I wasn’t aware of that. But I assume Maydena is on public land.

Glenworth is private, so I don’t see how anybody else could get in to a stoush with them about it. Their place, their rules.

Let’s just hope it happens...

featherplucker

Likes Bikes
Unfortunately, as has often been shown in this industry, where there's smoke, there's fire. I really really hope not, for Australian mtb progression's sake.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Wonder if this will affect the Glenworth project. Quiet on the Glenworth front could mean a switch to the Hornsby project totally?
I wouldn’t imagine so, there’s more people invested in the Glenworth project than just the trail builders. Think more destination travel, Thredbo etc rather than just some trails in the bush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Synergy’s Instagram account had a post recently with a glenworth mention in it.

But you’d think it would be good to some news out if they’re planning to be open later this year..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but...the synergy team were balls deep here last year in plans for a huge make over of the local trail network. There was a bit of media about it, plans, volunteer build days to get the area ready, plans, plans, plans, talk talk talk talk, apparently a grant application and then...silence. This was a collaborative effort with the NPWS team that manage the area and the self appointed trail alliance, and I don't know how much of the project was driven by which component, but I do know that there has been practically no information come out since putting in the application. The general understanding is that the cash went elsewhere, but nobody has thrown that information into the air for all to see.

Now this may be a very different situation, but perhaps it is the way of the hype generation? Once the cash dries up...drop it like it's hot. We can't let the hype have a down note man.