Frame Bearings

Minlak

custom titis
So had another 3 bearings go fucked in the smuggler this will be the third set in 3 years..... So are Enduro Max bearings worth it? I am not going ceramic btw. It’s $150 for a full set of bearings in Enduro Max.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What is killing them? Load or sealing? I have used enduro brgs supplied as spares with a frame previously and they looked the same to me. Get 2RS or whatever the best sealing is. And name brand bearings like SKF or Yung chow.

Minlak

custom titis
What is killing them? Load or sealing? I have used enduro brgs supplied as spares with a frame previously and they looked the same to me. Get 2RS or whatever the best sealing is. And name brand bearings like SKF or Yung chow.
They don’t appear rusty just rough and one is seized completely. Of course out of the frame they work :) I have had a creak for a few months maybe if I had pulled it down then could have saved them. Have to make the effort every 6 mths not 18 months I guess.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I’ve yet to wear out enduro max bearings. What size and location is the shagged bearing from? Are you washing the bike with high pressure water?

Minlak

custom titis
I’ve yet to wear out enduro max bearings. What size and location is the shagged bearing from? Are you washing the bike with high pressure water?
Barely wash it period / don’t ride muddy or wet ..... one is a main pivot bearing one is in the rocker and one is in the triangle so 3 different locations. Maybe they were pressed to tight I didn’t put these current one in myself.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
if you dent the seal, they will bind up
when the bearing is seated, it has to be done forcing the outer race only, as applying pressure to the inner race and seal will surely fuck them!
do ceramic bearings have seals?
just go to CBC or similar and get a good brand like SKF or NTN, dont waste your money on bike hype bearings

Litenbror

Eats Squid
^This.. If your changing them every 6 months just go to your local bearing place with the bearings and they should be able to find the equivalent. I just did the main pivot bearing for my Canyon for $14 and no messing around with postage. Maybe if you were getting 18 months then it would be worth it maybe but to be honest I haven't noticed any difference using industrial bearings except the price.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
If anyone is looking for a cost friendly bearing press kit, I nabbed this for about $70 AUD delivered (found a discount code last year) and recently replaced the bearings on my Canyon and BB successfully.

I used the blind puller from here:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
If anyone is looking for a cost friendly bearing press kit, I nabbed this for about $70 AUD delivered (found a discount code last year) and recently replaced the bearings on my Canyon and BB successfully.

I used the blind puller from here:
Schmick tools.

If you want to be a cheap ass you can get blind bearing pullers from ebay. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/131671818303

Far out I wish I knew about that Boca bearing driver before I bought my Motion Pro.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Dismantle the old bearings and look inside and see what they really died from, water contamination will be easily spotted.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Schmick tools.

If you want to be a cheap ass you can get blind bearing pullers from ebay. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/131671818303

Far out I wish I knew about that Boca bearing driver before I bought my Motion Pro.

I was looking into that puller ... but apparently (based on Amazon reviews) the collar on the puller attachment wears out easily then just keeps slipping off. Not sure how applicable that is to bike bearings as some of these reviews probably used it for other kinds of applications.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I was looking into that puller ... but apparently (based on Amazon reviews) the collar on the puller attachment wears out easily then just keeps slipping off. Not sure how applicable that is to bike bearings as some of these reviews probably used it for other kinds of applications.
For light duty use it should be ok. I've got a T&E tools equivalent and its much heavier duty but also more expensive.

herbman

Likes Dirt
So had another 3 bearings go fucked in the smuggler this will be the third set in 3 years..... So are Enduro Max bearings worth it? I am not going ceramic btw. It’s $150 for a full set of bearings in Enduro Max.
I have had good luck with the enduro max bearings. The correct bearing in the correct application. The limited rotation of a pivot bearing will kill normal bearing fast as they designed to do a full rotation where as the max bearings are designed for a limited rotation.
And the $150 for a set seems steep. When I did my patrol I don’t think it cost me that much, I got mine off mountain bikes direct as individual bearing rather than a kit as it was cheaper.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
DIYMTB for all your Enduro bearing needs (will have to get LBS to order from them).

Also stock the black oxide ones for slight bearing pr0n

Minlak

custom titis
DIYMTB for all your Enduro bearing needs (will have to get LBS to order from them).

Also stock the black oxide ones for slight bearing pr0n
I re read this and didn’t know if you realise you can just buy direct from DIYMTB. I get lazy and just email him and say I need blah. He sends me a link for payment then sends me stuffs :)

I would love to justify fancier bearings just cause I could. The black ones are smex !!

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I re read this and didn’t know if you realise you can just buy direct from DIYMTB. I get lazy and just email him and say I need blah. He sends me a link for payment then sends me stuffs :)

I would love to justify fancier bearings just cause I could. The black ones are smex !!
Oh I didn't know that! That's awesome. Will definitely save some time now when I'm hanging to get my hands on new parts :D