VIC Lysterfield Park

Calvin27

Eats Squid
No idea. A brown goat ran out of nowhere, down the trail and cut across me into the wilderness. I literally got off my bike to check if I was imagining it?
RIP Griff. Managed to meet you before you go to goat heaven despite being a lysty regular for the past 25 years.

Definitely should name a trail after him. Preferably one that is hard to find and includes some hard climbing.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
A friend of mine found him this morning, his last goat stroll ended at the bottom of aneurysm. My mate had heard stories and thought I was full of shit for the longest time. His first sighting wasnt the most pleasant, but at least he got to see him I guess.

Now what do we look out for while slogging up the comms games climb??

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

gregp

Likes Dirt
Is there a Demo Day at Lysty this weekend (16-17 Feb)? Or later in Feb? I used to get Demo day info from the LDTR calendar. Right now they are showing nothing for the rest of the month, but I heard Spesh might be doing something.

Stacktacular

Cannon Fodder
Is there a Demo Day at Lysty this weekend (16-17 Feb)? Or later in Feb? I used to get Demo day info from the LDTR calendar. Right now they are showing nothing for the rest of the month, but I heard Spesh might be doing something.
Specialized is running demos through their demo fleets for each State/Territory which Specialized Retailers can have for a week or two. Bike Now in South Melbourne set up a demo for a couple of weekends at Lysterfield Park.

In the past, Specialized used to run the demos and would liaise with the local clubs to have them involved. BikeNow didn't get in touch with the local club/LDTR and so no promotion or interaction with the club was formed for the most recent demo days run by Bike now.

The club will only be involved with demo days at the park if it fits in with their timetable/volunteer capabilities and if they are contacted by the brand/store to help out/have the club run a bbq or have some club promotion at the days.

Cheers.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
So parks have just disassembled the features on scealeys/wallaby hop

This was a ripper little 3min descent, tucked away from the main loop and further obscured by a horrible climb that only the dedicated would bother with. It was chock full of little achievable jumps that came at you so furiously it was hard to string them all together perfectly so runs always had a bit of excitement about them. It was always an unsanctioned trail, but was recently legitimized which gave a little hope that it was not going to be destroyed like the stuff on the other side of Wellington road.

I usually jump in to defend what happens out at lysty. It's my local and Ive been on and off building and mainting there for years. Parks have made us sanitize features in the past, usually in reaction to a few ambo visits for the enthusiastic but underskilled. It sucks to dumb down a feature, but we get a very broad demographic here and I'm just stoked to have this on my doorstep.

But there's almost always been consultation and we've done it ourselves and replaced offending features with something agreed on. This time it was just done. It was there on Sunday and now it's a flat track, might as well ride a bloody rail trail. Writing was on the wall I guess, almost straight after being legitimized there was people climbing it, then signs appeared saying it was a dual purpose, dual direction trail and that descenders were to give way. This is a massive step in the wrong direction IMO, makes you wonder how long till it happens to other trails.

Fark it, time to move somewhere good. How's plumbing job prospects in Bright?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saw it yesterday myself. It's a damned shame as it was great fun. Here's hoping something comes of it as travelling to Redhill seems more appealing every day now ..

Stacktacular

Cannon Fodder
Used to get really frustrated at first when PV took down unofficial trails without consultation first. Always had a part of me feel like it was an attack on the sport and the community and all the work that LDTR put in volunteering and advocating. But after chatting with some of the committee and hearing of how hard they're pushing this year for bigger things in the coming year; losing Scealys (which we all know was a disaster to happen on a trail of that nature and with that many different users making use of it inside the main park area) isn't such a huge let down. Yes, it would be wise for the club to "poke" PV and remind them of the formal process and the relationship that has been built so far between the two groups. But it should also be recognised that the more effort and time put into fighting for one trail is going to take a part out of the bigger scheme of things which is definitely coming closer to fruition than any other attempt I've heard of in the past.

Last edited:

slowmick

38-39"
That is incredibly sad that they have done that. I would have thought it was far enough out of the way to be left alone. Only got to ride it 3 times But it was my favorite trail in the park. It had a lot better flow than the other descending trails. Very similar feel to the trails they flattened in other areas of the park.

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Parks had many options as to how to deal with this situation. I think we've lost around 8km of unofficial trails in the last three years, and we dont seem to have got any new ones.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Yes/no

We removed them on request, all wooden features were to be removed and replaced with stone/dirt features around the park. But we didn't get anywhere near the manpower required to replace everything so a few features unfortunately never got replaced.

The thing I'm pissy about here is that the track was legitimized, giving us hope that we'd have some input into how it moved forward. Then it was suddenly flattened, no consultation, just told "hey, this is what we're doing". It was a viable gravity trail with heaps of potential that a few builder had poured hours of work into. Then they came along and said "nup, this is for walkers/runners now, deal with it".

I know there is other things in the works, but what sort or trails are we looking at? If their vision for the future is 40km of skinny rail trails I'm calling myself done with the park. A real bummer because it's nice and close and full of top people...

kip01

Likes Dirt
Sounds like nothing has changed there has always been the same as far as I can remember. Riding there tonight for the first time in over a year is there anything new or same old ?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Sounds like nothing has changed there has always been the same as far as I can remember. Riding there tonight for the first time in over a year is there anything new or same old ?
There seems to be some new flat track.