2019 Santa Cruz Megatower- Long Travel 29er

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Geez, I'm disappointed @B Rabbit - only one thread? ;) I'm getting withdrawals from MTBR's 6 threads not being updated hourly, really need it here too :O

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm most surprised Santa Cruz is still sticking with pretty conservative seat tube angle on their new frames. Other than that it looks okay, but nothing special either. Aside from the Nomad 4, most of these low shock designs look a bit 'meh' aesthetically to me. But I reckon they'll sell heaps of them (even though they'll be massive overkill for about 90% of those who buy them, lol).

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I'm most surprised Santa Cruz is still sticking with pretty conservative seat tube angle on their new frames. Other than that it looks okay, but nothing special either. Aside from the Nomad 4, most of these low shock designs look a bit 'meh' aesthetically to me. But I reckon they'll sell heaps of them (even though they'll be massive overkill for about 90% of those who buy them, lol).
I read that the STA is supposedly around 76 with a ~65 HTA, so getting close to the current trend. IMHO this is the bike that the Hightower LT should have always been. The funk SC applied to the original HT front triangle to get 150mm rear travel slackened the HTA and already fairly slack STA even more, shortened the ETT, and when you add a 170mm fork it further amplified all those shortcomings. The new 29er should address all that, and better suit taller riders.

They will sell like hot cakes though, maybe to the detriment of Nomad sales perhaps?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I read that the STA is supposedly around 76 with a ~65 HTA, so getting close to the current trend. IMHO this is the bike that the Hightower LT should have always been. The funk SC applied to the original HT front triangle to get 150mm rear travel slackened the HTA and already fairly slack STA even more, shortened the ETT, and when you add a 170mm fork it further amplified all those shortcomings. The new 29er should address all that, and better suit taller riders.

They will sell like hot cakes though, maybe to the detriment of Nomad sales perhaps?
If that's 76 degree SA pictured it's definitely the old "effective SA" trick. Like you say though, still a lot better than the HTLT.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
They've gone the way of Yeti with their silhouette now.
I guess these long travel 29"ers evolve into similar shapes. You need the front and rear clearance so the main triangle must get a bit compressed. Add it fashionable ST and HT angles and stuff begins to look more similar but unfortunately doesn't make it prettier either IMHO. Those steep downtubes aren't a personal favourite.

Also, what have Santa Cruz got against the Lyrik? They spec SRAM for almost everything else, and then boom! Fox 36
I'll bet the SRAM and Fox product guys have a bit of price war going on there.

Jpez

Down on the left!
It looks like pretty awesome bike and is almost pretty close to the sort of bike I’m toying with buying next.
But I reckon they could have been a tad more imaginative with the name.
It’s too close the NP Mega and the GG Megatrail.
A small detail I know....
And yeah that seat tube angle. It’s got that same Slash appearance of leaning over so far it looks like it wants to fall off the back of the bike.

Reactions: Zaf

Jpez

Down on the left!
What's on your shortlist? And I really hope you enjoy owning a G1.
Also, I said the same thing to my mate when I heard the name!! Completely agree that it should have been given a better name.
My shortlist is pretty short at the moment. Only just just started thinking about an upgrade.
I recently decided all I wanted was a Smash. But not at all interest in the new plastic ones.
So all I need is a Smash seatstay and of course fork and wheel set( already have a short shock) for my Megatrail/ Shreddogg but they no longer sell them and the new bikes don’t run the old rear triangles.
So I put the word out in GG circles but there are no seat stays to be had for love nor money.
6 months ago people were swapping them around like footy cards when we were kids but everyone is hanging tight now.

So kinda been looking at a YT Capra 29 and a TR Sentinal. Both lotsa bike but I don’t think too much bike for my style of riding.
Bushmaster is floating my boat too. Big time.

Reactions: Zaf