Whisky!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Ok, firstly don't get anything from Islay. That is the predominant supplier of "peaty" whisky, the smoked up style that many a whisky drinker believes is the only whisky.
Now, now, it has its place. A fine speyside is quite good but some remind me of the cleaning agent and medicinal smell of 100 Pipers or JD Bourbon. I think it is easier to find a nice Islay overall.

While there is some enjoyable options from there it is the kind of thing that can ruin your idea of whisky in seconds. I recommend starting off with something that has a cleaner flavour. That lagauvalin will give yiu the feeling of having dank bong water and licked out an ashtray. But it is a lovely drop in moderation.
Hmmm, bong water out of an ashtray. You might contemplate that one after a few too many single malts.

Kavalan is one of my favourites, I can't think of a time is taken a chance on their brand and been let down. From Japan a great go to is the Suntory Hakushu. If you can find one with an age statement on the label grab it! I find it difficult to spring so much cash for Japanese whisky though because the price is massively inflated outside of Japan. I've seen stuff here for around $150 that I've purchased there for about $12.
Kavalan is a nice drop and can see why they have won awards. I have the brown classic here now and had the single malt green one earlier. It is good and reminded me for a Lagavulin 10 year overall.

And if money is truely not the issue:
Makes a CF Megatower with XX and reserve wheels sound like a bargain.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Ok, firstly don't get anything from Islay. That is the predominant supplier of "peaty" whisky, the smoked up style that many a whisky drinker believes is the only whisky. While there is some enjoyable options from there it is the kind of thing that can ruin your idea of whisky in seconds. I recommend starting off with something that has a cleaner flavour. That lagauvalin will give yiu the feeling of having dank bong water and licked out an ashtray. But it is a lovely drop in moderation.

Your local distillery has a bit of a following. Have you hough about having a taste of the big black cock? I'd say it is a bit of a harsh edged whiskey but my favourite Australian option.

Based off the price of the lagauvalin I'd recommend something like this:
It's an easy drink and has plenty of complex whisky flavours floating around in it and is a smooth clean whisky. Had an industry night recently involving a large proportion of the Glenfarclas range up to the 25 year old (sadly not their absolute top of the line gear), and the 15 year was the crowd favourite. If you wanted to try something with a bit more punch the 105 cask strength is not too bad. But it will probably give you a bit of a burn.

There are some interesting options from auchentoshan and singleton's as well. Singleton's often have a bit of a spicy leather theme happening.

Someone mentioned Kavalan and Japanese whiskey up a bit further, there's some good stuff on offer there. I do find Asian whisky to be a tiny bit sweeter than scotch, often caramel and butterscotch kind of flavours. Though they are never sweet like bourbon or other American offerings. Kavalan is one of my favourites, I can't think of a time is taken a chance on their brand and been let down. From Japan a great go to is the Suntory Hakushu. If you can find one with an age statement on the label grab it! I find it difficult to spring so much cash for Japanese whisky though because the price is massively inflated outside of Japan. I've seen stuff here for around $150 that I've purchased there for about $12.

And if money is truely not the issue:
Them be fighting words!

Ardberg and Bruichladdich are more toward the bong water end of the peat scale.

Australian whiskeys are expensive for what they are.

I give him 0% chance of getting Glenfarclas at duty free. They have such a cult following they don't need to spend the marketing dollars at airport duty free.

Kavalan is stellar. It's all good but unsure of availability on Singapore let alone Cairns.

I've had some antique Macallan out of a cask and to be honest I struggled to say it was better than Royal Salute. It was good but I've got no idea how much of that was due to placebo.

To be honest once you get beyond Royal Salute/Kavalan ex-bourbon/Glenrothes vintage it's a very rapid drop in return on expenditure.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I've seen it for $90 at Dan Murphys. Wait for Singapore. They will have much better range and prices. If you can be arsed hunting down a duty free store away from the airport the pricing is usually sharper.
Remember the export whiskys are easy to fine in 1l bottles. The same whisky sold to the unwashed massed in shops are mostly 700ml - Nick's liquor does carry some 1l bottles.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...seems some things need clarification. I have drank bong water. It is probably more akin to the peat monster or big peat. Any how, I'm not saying it doesn't have its place on a paddle just that it's probably not the most ideal starting point for someone.

I am not a fan of Australian whisky as a general rule. It's expensive and mostly tastes of polish. Domestic gin is consistently a much better product and easier to get a good one just winging it.

Australian duty free is not a fruitful goldmine.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
...seems some things need clarification. I have drank bong water. It is probably more akin to the peat monster or big peat. Any how, I'm not saying it doesn't have its place on a paddle just that it's probably not the most ideal starting point for someone.
I think we may have all drank bong water at some point. Has to be a bit of Islay like hooch stuck between your teeth.

Australian duty free is not a fruitful goldmine.
True, duty free globally is a cartel like gang operation where there really wasn't that much between most countries.
Kavalan was quite cheaper in Taipei than Sydney though.

'One day, my @pink poodle friend, whisky have, well will' spoken in true Cromwellian Yoda fashion.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I finished my bottle of The Chitta. It was nice, perhaps a tad sweeter than I would like and much too easy to drink, which is why its gone.
Sweetness is a signature of many Japanese offerings. I've been hassling to get some of the Suntory Kakubin in at work for whisky mixers. It is a very versatile basic brew.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You mean the self fondling of pasty white body that has never seen the sun on a rocky riverside deckchair at 0:47s?
Will be needing a few more to get to that stage ..... hic ....
If only I had that scrawny "too much horse" body to go with my self fondling!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Pretty sure I've seen on here that @indica enjoys beer? If so it's probably worth noting that Jameson's have 2 interesting offerings at the moment. Their cask mates IPA and stout cask finished whisky is quite nice (especially for the price). I prefer the darker aspects offered by the stout cask, but the IPA version is very floral.

Oddjob

This made me laugh unreasonably hard. Possibly I need a lash of whiskey to round out this shitshow of a week in the right spirit.
Here's to that. I might even crack that 21yr old single malt I bought from Aldi.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Although Poodles comments re Islay are disgraceful and warrant his removal from this thread
.... he's right.
In the context of a whisky newb or someone with a simple pallet, the Islay malts are intimidating.

Jura or Auchentoshan would be a good place to start.

But IMO Speyside whiskies (and to a lesser extent, The highlands) are all pretty meh. They're safe, predictable. They're the Toyota's of scotch.
Notable exception is The Benriach distillery... and a few others.

I think all whiskey fans should be working their way to Islay. They're not different, they're better. More complex, more manly, more authentic. More tougherer.
If you don't like the smoke, the peat, the salt.... and the bong.... maybe a bacardi breezer is more your thing?

(flame suit prepared and ready)

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Although Poodles comments re Islay are disgraceful and warrant his removal from this thread
.... he's right.
In the context of a whisky newb or someone with a simple pallet, the Islay malts are intimidating.

Jura or Auchentoshan would be a good place to start.

But IMO Speyside whiskies (and to a lesser extent, The highlands) are all pretty meh. They're safe, predictable. They're the Toyota's of scotch.
Notable exception is The Benriach distillery... and a few others.

I think all whiskey fans should be working their way to Islay. They're not different, they're better. More complex, more manly, more authentic. More tougherer.
If you don't like the smoke, the peat, the salt.... and the bong.... maybe a bacardi breezer is more your thing?

(flame suit prepared and ready)

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
There would be an army of Glenfarclas fans who would be happy to beat you to a pulp. I also think the Glenrothes vintage range and Benromach are pretty special too.