AM Andorran Assault – Meta AM 29 SRAM Edition

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Tell me about your thought patterns going back to alloy.

Worried about weight? Worried about stiffness? Worried about sprightlyness?

Commencal's are not best known for weight or efficiency. We Sydney-siders need a degree of climbability as our downs aren't especially...

Just askin!

BT180

Max Pfaff
Tell me about your thought patterns going back to alloy.

Worried about weight? Worried about stiffness? Worried about sprightlyness?

Commencal's are not best known for weight or efficiency. We Sydney-siders need a degree of climbability as our downs aren't especially...

Just askin!
The frame material didn’t really bother me as long as the geo and kinematic were right. Weight, yeah. The build has ended up being 2kgs more than the Strive, which I was prepared to cop, because I’ve been riding rougher and more extreme descents. So although I’m giving up on the spritliness and climbing pep, I’m gaining so much more capability going down. And that’s where I want to prioritize and feel more confident. Although not long descents, they’re pretty hairy. The frame and pivots are super burly, so I don’t think I’ll have an issue with flex.

Just going to have to HTFU to get it up the hills. It’s a good seating position, but I don’t think I’ll be breaking any climbing PRs.

Also taking it to Thredbo in a couple of weeks where it will be in its element. So hoping for more such trips in the future.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
The frame material didn’t really bother me as long as the geo and kinematic were right. Weight, yeah. The build has ended up being 2kgs more than the Strive, which I was prepared to cop, because I’ve been riding rougher and more extreme descents. So although I’m giving up on the spritliness and climbing pep, I’m gaining so much more capability going down. And that’s where I want to prioritize and feel more confident. Although not long descents, they’re pretty hairy. The frame and pivots are super burly, so I don’t think I’ll have an issue with flex.

Just going to have to HTFU to get it up the hills. It’s a good seating position, but I don’t think I’ll be breaking any climbing PRs.

Also taking it to Thredbo in a couple of weeks where it will be in its element. So hoping for more such trips in the future.
Congrats on the new rig dude. I've got a soft spot for commencal.

Not that it makes any difference, but what does it weigh?

I've recently made some "upgrades" to my carbon bike and now it weights 15kg. It a good solid 2kg heavier than when I first built it.

Tbh, I've found that I've just stronger on climbs and don't find it unbearable by any means. For the increase stability in descending, the weight penalty is well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

BT180

Max Pfaff
Congrats on the new rig dude. I've got a soft spot for commencal.

Not that it makes any difference, but what does it weigh?

I've recently made some "upgrades" to my carbon bike and now it weights 15kg. It a good solid 2kg heavier than when I first built it.

Tbh, I've found that I've just stronger on climbs and don't find it unbearable by any means. For the increase stability in descending, the weight penalty is well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Yep, as @Zaf pointed out, it's about 2kg heavier than stock. Being off the bike for a few weeks, coupled with a lingering cough, i'm not in the best position to see how the weight is affecting things. Looking forward to getting my fitness back to see how it compares. I'm not expecting to set the world on fire going up, but that's OK. It's the downs i'm really looking forward to.

Only ridden twice, once with a rear tyre that wouldn't hold air (so that doesn't count) and once on Sunday. Hoping to get out today if the weather plays nice. Will report back if i do as my planned loop has a fair bit of climbing.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Yep, saw that. Bloody hell it does look good. As you know, that was my preference but budget constraints led me to the SRAM edition. Made my choice and i'me very happy, so now I can be a dick about it. :D

BT180

Max Pfaff
So took it to Thredbo this past weekend (my first time) and the bike was sensational. It just felt super planted and solid. Really composed and nothing made it flinch or kicked it off line. Just so confidence inspiring. The Strive would have been jittery and sketchy AF on those high speed sections. Then in the tight stuff in the woods it cornered really well too - i'm just not used to berms so was pretty average at that. Was getting used to it on the 3rd day though - brake first, enter high, then let off. The Meta just eats the rocks though. Had a couple of sketchy moments on the DH but it just soaked it up and kept going. Pretty keen to go back!