24Hr racing advice

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
A good thread to bring up this topic.
Interested to see what lighting systems are the go these days? I am still using Ayups, with the batteries not running as long as they used to. Do I upgrade my batteries or do I go a whole new lighting system?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Interested to see what lighting systems are the go these days? I am still using Ayups, with the batteries not running as long as they used to. Do I upgrade my batteries or do I go a whole new lighting system?
Whole new 4sho. I've just charged up my ayup batteries, as I use it for a head torch nowadays.
Quality units but they just don't cut it compared to other lights now.

I've got two exposure lights now and, whilst not cheap, I really like the simple integrated light and battery setup. Would obviously need to get those supplementary battery packs if you're going to run for 10+ hours overnight in a 24hr race.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Whole new 4sho. I've just charged up my ayup batteries, as I use it for a head torch nowadays.
Quality units but they just don't cut it compared to other lights now.

I've got two exposure lights now and, whilst not cheap, I really like the simple integrated light and battery setup. Would obviously need to get those supplementary battery packs if you're going to run for 10+ hours overnight in a 24hr race.
And that's the killer. When you need to start buying spare battery packs. I ended up just getting a extra Cleanskin duo and 2 battery packs ( 1 have a large capacity pack already). They're well short of their advertised 2200 lumen but good enough on high for the pace she'll be maintaining. She should get about 2.5Hrs on high safely. Li-ion batteries can be charged at 1C so I can charge a battery in an hour from empty so between the 3 batteries I have for her I can easily keep ahead. For her head I have 2 Lezyne 700s, to alternate, that you can take the 18650s out and bought 10 high quality batteries.
I hope campers there don't mind the sound of a generator running at night. But I'm sort of guessing that if you're camping there, on pit straight, on Sat night you're there for the 24hr and wouldn't be expecting to get a lot of sleep. If you are then fuck off and find somewhere else quiet to camp.... ;)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Go new. I've used Ay-ups and loved them, but I'm now using Gloworm Alpha, 2 leds for 1200 lumens. Pay extra for a 4 cell battery, the 2 cell isn't quite big enough for a whole week of one-way commuting on the lowest setting. I need to research more, but apparently Magicshine batteries are directly compatible.

DMan

Or just get a cleanskin package for $100 and save some coin.

DMan

That's a fair point, but I'm no sparky. The extra $80 covered the time/effort/research involved.
I only checked them out after Dozer's review. I'm pretty sure they won't be up to Ay-ups or Gloworms in brightness but for the price they throw enough light. And you get about 3hrs out of them and replacement batteries are cheap.

DMan

That might be with the backscreen lights turned off though, it's the backscreen light at night that kills the battery fast.
That might be with the backscreen lights turned off though, it's the backscreen light at night that kills the battery fast.
I'm also curious how much time you lose running an external HR monitor continuously too.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Heart rate monitor uses hardly any battery.
Bryton units still easily get 24hrs+

As for lights...
I've got an exposure reflex MK2 that's a bit old these days on my bar and equinox on my helmet with 2x extender packs.
I don't run these on full gas because you don't need to (hate team riders who run with with 1,000,000 lumens for 1hr burn time).
The reflex can last me 10-11hrs no drama and a fully charged equinox with the two packs lasts the same.
I bring along a worksite radio with 5MAh battery and USB port to charge the backup pack just in case.

Expensive lights are expensive for good reason, no extra frame batteries is a godsend, the units are light for an all in one system, optics are great (I find cheap lights need to be brighter because their beam colour is awful) and the indicated run times are accurate and on a digital display.

DMan

Heart rate monitor uses hardly any battery.
Bryton units still easily get 24hrs+

As for lights...
I've got an exposure reflex MK2 that's a bit old these days on my bar and equinox on my helmet with 2x extender packs.
I don't run these on full gas because you don't need to (hate team riders who run with with 1,000,000 lumens for 1hr burn time).
The reflex can last me 10-11hrs no drama and a fully charged equinox with the two packs lasts the same.
I bring along a worksite radio with 5MAh battery and USB port to charge the backup pack just in case.

Expensive lights are expensive for good reason, no extra frame batteries is a godsend, the units are light for an all in one system, optics are great (I find cheap lights need to be brighter because their beam colour is awful) and the indicated run times are accurate and on a digital display.
If it was me that would be true but my wife's vision isn't as good so she feels comfortable with more light. The clean skins offer a good balance between light quality, brightness and run time. Each to their own I guess.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I use a Lezyne infinite power pack, either prop the Garmin up on a right angle plug or spin it 180° on the mount for a lap or two. 45 mins to 1 hour charging on an 820 is enough to give it well over 50% battery increase.
They last for ~14 hrs with Bluetooth and the light off anyway.