Confessions from the fuckwits

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I had a jerk creaking sound getting gradually worse in my crankset. Alloy frame, threaded bottom bracket and always serviced and tensioned to correct spec. I've greased the thing like you wouldn't believe and had it on and off at least ten times in a month and still the creak persists. "Fuck ya" I thought, "I'll get a new one" and so I did. I whipped home one lunch break and chucked it in my frame and did the driveway test to inspect. You wouldn't believe it, the same creak in the same audible tone each time I put either foot down. I invented a few new swear words that lunch break and had just enough time to pull the thing off ready to hurl it over the fence. In somewhat of a chance discovery, I had a close look at the non drive side part of the spinlde where the crank arm is pressed on and there's a small 1mm think spacer on there that I always assumed was just a plastic fitting.

It isn't.

It's three wafer thin spacers that had grit between them and was enough to make the sound and echo through the glorious hollow alloy tubes of my frame to sound like the soundtrack from War of the Worlds. I took them off with a pick, cleaned them in the nearest alcoholic substance I had and dabbed some grease on them. At this point I'm late to get back to work but fuck, I just need to know! I hastily whack the thing back together and proceed to ride up and down my drive way in such soothing silence. So much ambiance, so much relief..................... so much fuckwit.

moorey

call me Mia
Had a banshee phantom frame sitting here for a month or 2 that I was planning to build up 27.5. Saved the perfect set of forks for it, revelation rct3’s. Sold off all my spare 27.5 forks to raise cash for Felix’s frame. 5 sets in total.
Build started tonight, why is that 27.5 wheel such a tight fit? Oohhhhh fuck!

Jpez

Down on the left!
Had a banshee phantom frame sitting here for a month or 2 that I was planning to build up 27.5. Saved the perfect set of forks for it, revelation rct3’s. Sold off all my spare 27.5 forks to raise cash for Felix’s frame. 5 sets in total.
Build started tonight, why is that 27.5 wheel such a tight fit? Oohhhhh fuck!
When I read Banshee Phantom I thought your confession was simply that you built up a 29er!
Those forks should be white.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Build started tonight, why is that 27.5 wheel such a tight fit? Oohhhhh fuck!View attachment 352264
The only solution is to sell the frame....

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fox Stepcast Forks – urgh.

The 30 or so fox forks I’ve serviced I’ve put in Racing Bros seals……but because of the “step”, the fork lowers are highly pressurized when the fork is compressed and along with the fork possibly being slightly overbored the RB seal easily popped out on the air side. Fark. Two hours of testing if it was the negative air spring leaking or another thing I’d stuffed up. No, just needed to have the super tight fitting old Fox flangeless seals put back in.

Hope this helps another other punter out there.

moorey

call me Mia
Preempting another confession...is cutting and re-threading an air shaft on pikes as simple and straightforward as it sounds? Want to drop this otherwise munted old set of 160’s to 130ish.
@SummitFever is the sort of oracle to set me straight.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Surely it'd be better to get the proper length, or if possible get a new one in "debonair" configuration?

moorey

call me Mia
Surely it'd be better to get the proper length, or if possible get a new one in "debonair" configuration?
Ima not spend anything on the bike. It’s all just using spare spares, and will be shared between Felix, wife and I, after I sold his XC bike that the wife rode yearly.
Forks have nasty stanchion wear for first 20mm after I neglected servicing them on Felix’s old bike 18 months ago. Dropping 30mm would largely solve that...or at least hide it. Forks were only ever kept for internal spares anyway, so nothing ventured nothing gained.

moorey

call me Mia
When I read Banshee Phantom I thought your confession was simply that you built up a 29er!
Those forks should be white.
They may be soon. Option is to steal these DP’s off a Five and run at the 130 setting.
I love white forks, and will ignore your sarcasm, but not sure white and raw will work...and I love the white ones on Ferny.
@rsclio do I remember you have white pikes you discussed with me at one stage?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Ooof, hate that feeling when you're ready to get your build on, but keep tripping up over little hurdles. :(

Reactions: Zaf