Barry the Burner bike

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Item: Barry the burner bike
Item Condition: pre-loved
Reason for giving it away: Barry feels the need for ADVENTURE
Conditions: you have to fix anything you break and you have to pass him along to another burner before too long
Pictures:

Extra Info:
Barry will be starting out as a large GT avalanche single speed conversion. he's got old rs psylo u turn forks, rhynolite wheels, mismatched avid/tektro brakes and terrible pedals. If you feel like upgrading anything before passing him along, go for gold. No pressure, but would be cool to see him changing up from time to time.

So i found this frame sitting on hard rubbish a few doors down from me. i drove past a couple of times over the next couple of days and decided i couldn't leave it there so i dropped a few $$ under the neighbors door and walked away with it. I've built it up with some bits and pieces i had lying around, rode it up and down the street a couple of times and then said to myself "now what?". It gathered a little dust and then it came to me, i wanna see how far the old beastie can go as a free bike for the burner community.

Barry just wants to get out there and ride. he doesn't care if its a commute, a casual sunday play or a serious epic, he just wants to get around it all. Wanted to try a singlespeed but don't want to do it to your pride an joy? Bazza can show you the ropes. Need something to get around on while the carbon frame is being warrantied? Baz has your back, no carbon here. Wanna try riding to work but cant see it happening on a 28kg downhill bike? Old buddy Barry has been dieting just for you. Don't wanna get your shiny unobtainium sworks yeti wet and/or muddy? Barry's the kinda dude that'll get down and dirty anytime anywhere.

only 2 hard and fast rules:

* If you break something, fix it before it gets passed on. if you don't have the means post up a wanted ad, I should be able to sort it

* Its gotta get passed on to another burner. Just don't be a hog is all i ask, Barry wants to travel so dont hold him too long.

We'd love to see some pics of his rides, maybe even a little story about the good times you've had, please at least drop a photo of one of his rides when you post u to pass him along. Also love to see him get covered in stickers, get creative, if you havn't got a sticker then maybe just sign him like a cast. If the frame breaks (eep!) please let me know, i'd like to hang it u on my wall and i'll happily sort out another one to keep it moving.

Anyone want to put their hand up to start Barry's adventure off?

I can possibly get him up to buller, bendigo or ballarat this weekend (27/28 april)

!! Barry has an email account - BarryTheBurnerBike@gmail.com
!! Barry has a Strava account - Barry Theburnerbike (login using gmail account)
PM me for the password, i don't mind it being public knowledge, i just don't know about advertising it as such.

Track your rides with barry using strava, or just export the gpx and import it to strava manually. you can upload photos here too and add yourself to barry's friends list to keep track of what he's been up to :D

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Great idea!

Have you, er, measured Barry? Who will he be big enough for?

EDIT: spotted that Baz is large.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Awesome!

I've got decent size mitts, but I still think I'll struggle with reach on the right hand levers. Are they adjustable?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Fantastic idea!

Not sure about a northern adventure, he might end up staying for 6 months or more.

But if he hasn't been lost or forgotten, I just might be able to give him a week around Portsea this time next year.....

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Awesome!

I've got decent size mitts, but I still think I'll struggle with reach on the right hand levers. Are they adjustable?
I noticed that after I posted it, was hoping it might pass under the radar. What was I thinking, this site is all about nitpicking!

Fixed, I must have bumped it when I moved the bike

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Fantastic idea!

Not sure about a northern adventure, he might end up staying for 6 months or more.

But if he hasn't been lost or forgotten, I just might be able to give him a week around Portsea this time next year.....
Wherever life takes him, he's up for anything

Honestly, I'm kinda hoping he makes his way around the country a bit. Would be stoked if he manages to see his way around a few states

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is awesome. Can we get a spot tracker going for Barry to follow his path to destruction? I feel like he will end up like Jaco’s Bass of Doom, in many pieces only to be rebuilt again and again.

Minlak

custom titis
This is an awesome idea I really hope someone starts it off. Posting pics of the adventures should be mandatory though. The only hurdle I can see is people concerned about not knowing how to freight it to the next person. Grey hound busses can freight for $120 Aus wide I’m pretty sure. And you will have the packaging from when it arrived to reuse.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
This is an awesome idea I really hope someone starts it off. Posting pics of the adventures should be mandatory though. The only hurdle I can see is people concerned about not knowing how to freight it to the next person. Grey hound busses can freight for $120 Aus wide I’m pretty sure. And you will have the packaging from when it arrived to reuse.
Postage might be asking a bit much for a free loaner bike I would have thought? Would be cool if it just got passed along and found its way around the network face to face, but however it works is good.

I'm hopefully heading to Buller Saturday, wife is heading to Bendigo Sunday. It can start the journey on one of those trips if it suits anyone?

And I hear you about the pics, I'll change it

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
This is awesome. Can we get a spot tracker going for Barry to follow his path to destruction? I feel like he will end up like Jaco’s Bass of Doom, in many pieces only to be rebuilt again and again.
best i can think of is to track it with google maps. if you (or anyone else) has a better idea then like dolph lundgren, "i'm all ears"

link for google maps tracker:

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I s'pose this means I have to take one for the team and ride Barry at Maydena?

Seriously though, I can bring him across the creek on the Spirit of Tas for nicks... when the time comes...?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'm in narre these days this is just so tempting if not that my study already has 2 bikes in there after seeping out from the garage collection! But hey I'd be happy to take it for a spin this weekend to get it started. I'll have a look at the parts bin to see what I can contribute!

Great idea and Id suggest posting your photo of you with Barry on this thread along with any mods. As for Strava we could create and account and simply upload gpx files.

Edit: I do hope we can avoid postage though, worse thing would be for auspost to lose Barry!

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I'm in narre these days this is just so tempting if not that my study already has 2 bikes in there after seeping out from the garage collection! But hey I'd be happy to take it for a spin this weekend to get it started. I'll have a look at the parts bin to see what I can contribute!

Great idea and Id suggest posting your photo of you with Barry on this thread along with any mods. As for Strava we could create and account and simply upload gpx files.

Edit: I do hope we can avoid postage though, worse thing would be for auspost to lose Barry!
yeah, cool idea with strava! its done, he has a google account and a strava account now. wicked way to keep track of things, kind of excited to see how it pans out!

you're welcome to him if you can find the room. no-one has put their hand up yet and i dont think barry gives even the tiniest remotest sliver of a fuck who takes him out to play so it might as well be you.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
So Barry's been out for his first ride. nothing super exotic but Lysty is his home town so it seemed right.

he's surprisingly capable, i expected more or less terrible performance but the forks were good and the brakes actually did the job nicely. gearing could be a little taller but then it might not be as accessible for someone wanting to try SS for the first time. wee skinny tyres look disconcerting but actually performed nicely so all round a solid ride.

it was cold, it got wet, i still feel sick from the last couple of days, but glad i made the time to take him for his first ride. Barry's a dirty boy

Attachments

Last edited: