Hibike, Starbike, no more Sram to Australia!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I assume those still selling SRAM and Shimano (ie Merlin) are grey importing from somewhere or would they be given some grace to clear stock?
No idea... Would think they would enforce it immediately.
Maybe I'll just be happy with the crap I have for a while until this shit storm blows over or someone finds a new loophole to exploit.

Flow-Rider

Burner
No idea... Would think they would enforce it immediately.
Maybe I'll just be happy with the crap I have for a while until this shit storm blows over or someone finds a new loophole to exploit.
It will be interesting to see how most consumers act, will they continue to upgrade at absorbent prices or will they continue to reuse their old parts. I will assume to a point it will financially viable for people to jump onto a newer bike in some cases.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It will be interesting to see how most consumers act, will they continue to upgrade at absorbent prices or will they continue to reuse their old parts. I will assume to a point it will financially viable for people to jump onto a newer bike in some cases.
There are so many options for everything outside of SRAM and Shimano that most I think will simply move on...

Sunrace 12 speed looks very nice, forks are plentiful outside of the big two and the rest of the bits are served by a many options. We’ll be fine :)

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
There are so many options for everything outside of SRAM and Shimano that most I think will simply move on...

Sunrace 12 speed looks very nice, forks are plentiful outside of the big two and the rest of the bits are served by a many options. We’ll be fine :)
Very tempted to give the sunrace rear mech and shifter a go in the future. Had the 11-46 cassette paired to xt on the old bike and had zero issues

Flow-Rider

Burner

That will be a good option for some, already have 2 of the sunrace 10sp cassettes but haven't tried them yet. Hopefully by the time I get 12sp it will be a bit more refined, I've had a reliable few years with shimano drive trains apart from the locking up drum on the derailleur clutch but if you keep the grease up to it, it's hardly an issue.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Very tempted to give the sunrace rear mech and shifter a go in the future. Had the 11-46 cassette paired to xt on the old bike and had zero issues
It will be my replacement if I total the Eagle mech currently in place. I really loved the XO1 11 speed on my last bike, GX Eagle is a bit meh... Happy to try something new!

ozzybmx

I have a 10spd 11-44 Sunrace on my CX... got the old 10spd Sram Red renamed D700 paired with a 10spd Sram X0 type 2 so holding on to that combo.
Also a 11-46 Sunrace on my Evil working with 11spd XTR Di2.... both as good as the Shimano and Sram cassettes they replaced so far.

Just for some info, Bike-Components is still shipping Shimano, might get me an order of spares in prep for that window closing too.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
My plan now is to:
a) take advantage of Pushy’s 15% off sales to stock up on essential $RAM spares
b) choose other products on future bikes

Between Box, e13, TRP, Sunrace etc. there are now plenty of options other than the two big S’s for drivetrains.

Last edited:

Binaural

Eats Squid
My plan now is to:
a) take advantage of Pushy’s 15% off sales to stock up on essential $RAM spares
b) choose other products on future bikes

Between Box, e13, TRP, Sunrace etc. there are now plenty of options other than the two big S’s for drivetrains.
Honestly, SRAM proved that Shimano didn't have an unsurmountable lead in the drivetrain market, I am looking forward to seeing who's going to emerge from the pack to hold them accountable for their shitty commercial practices.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I am looking forward to seeing who's going to emerge from the pack to hold them accountable for their shitty commercial practices.
It's ok to outsource your job to third world countries but it's not ok for the consumer to benefit from lower prices.

I like the direction Microshift is going though - I'll seriously consider their advent groupset if I was building right now, but as it stands I managed to load up on shimano consumables before the crc geoblock. I still have the items in my 'wishlist' and the prices are quite a shift. As for SRAM I have 10 speed stuff and once that dies I'll stop using sram because I'm not paying stupid money for an x5 shifter lol.

Where sram and shimano definitely have an advantage is the road bike market.

Nambra

@Nambra What 15% code would this be... got an item sitting there that 15% off could see me checking out that virtual basket in.

Cheers.
Pushy's sometimes has a 15% off site wide sale (excluding some items like Garmins, GoPros and so on). If you subscribe to their email newsletters you'll get the heads up when they happen. I wouldn't say it's a regular thing, maybe 2-3 times a year. Last one was in March:

ozzybmx

Doesn't work anymore... for me anyway. Looks like it will have to sit for a while :rolleyes:

Nambra

Yeah it only lasted for a couple of days - I never said it was still current, so sorry if it came across that way. Being end of March, it might possibly be an end-of-quarter thing - keep an eye out toward the end of June maybe.

It will be my replacement if I total the Eagle mech currently in place. I really loved the XO1 11 speed on my last bike, GX Eagle is a bit meh... Happy to try something new!
Why ? I'm finding the GX Eagle fits my bill perfectly, lets me ride some big hills and riding a lot further. Granted I'm not a strong climber however its providing the scope to improve. Shifts nicely as well.