Pivot Point setup

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Soooo I've decided to get better at jumpig and bike handling so got myself this:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=314808&share_fid=1708&share_type=t
Thanks @the big chief.

Unfortunately I'm a slightly portly gentleman and its apparent that the Pivot is running a light weight build. I also have no idea about dirtjumpers.

So the Pivot is currently running a Fox 32 and I have a Mattoc Pro or even a Fox 36 to chuck on. They can both be run at 120mm and the crown to axle on both would be ~510mm on both. Is the Fox 36 overkill?

The bike is currently running a 1x10 setup with 165mm cranks. 165mm will probably not play nice with my legs. Is 175mm too much? How tough do the cranks need to be? I have a set of Turbines in 170mm and old school SLX with the steel insert in 175mm.

Finally the wheels are 28 spoke Dt xpw1600 which seem a bit light. I have a set of Hope Pro 2s on Mavic ex721s. Is that overkill?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Soooo I've decided to get better at jumpig and bike handling so got myself this:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=314808&share_fid=1708&share_type=t
Thanks @big chief.

Unfortunately I'm a slightly portly gentleman and its apparent that the Pivot is running a light weight build. I also have no idea about dirtjumpers.

So the Pivot is currently running a Fox 32 and I have a Mattoc Pro or even a Fox 36 to chuck on. They can both be run at 120mm and the crown to axle on both would be ~510mm on both. Is the Fox 36 overkill?

The bike is currently running a 1x10 setup with 165mm cranks. 165mm will probably not play nice with my legs. Is 175mm too much?

I run 180’s on my dj. Whatever your comfy with will work there.

Use the 32 for now, you won’t be going huge yet.
120mm is gonna feel trash on that frame, can you get soemthing 100mm? Run it as Stiff as you can make it. 36’s are deffinately not overkill.
Manitou circus’s are good also. Also Rockshox argyles if you can find any.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
These are a sweet frame. I've ridden one of those with a 120mm fork on it. It wasn't "trash", but when it was swapped out for a 100mm fork things were much nicer. You will be surprised by how well the 32 will perform, especially if you're only jumping at a beginner level. Except that the beginner end of things might see more harsh landings. I've ran fox 36 on a few of my ss bikes and they deliver.

I think the 175mm crank arms will be too long.

If those wheels fit there isn't really such a thing as over kill on dj wheels.

Oddjob

Ok cool.

The Fox36 will go down to 110mm and I'm told that the Manitou will go down to 100mm.

I don't really want to grab a new fork when I already have the 36 and Mattoc on hand.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Maybe this is a chance for you to move that 36 on and pick up a pike dj or monitor circus...

Do you intend for this bike to be pure dj? Or are you thinking it might also be fun on bit of trail? Of the few areas I've ridden around Sydney I can't imagine it being much fun as a trail bike but it would make for a fun play bike on some of the local trails around here.

What are the wheel dimensions on this bike? Just in case you are considering moving them on...

Oddjob

Maybe this is a chance for you to move that 36 on and pick up a pike dj or monitor circus...

Do you intend for this bike to be pure dj? Or are you thinking it might also be fun on bit of trail? Of the few areas I've ridden around Sydney I can't imagine it being much fun as a trail bike but it would make for a fun play bike on some of the local trails around here.

What are the wheel dimensions on this bike? Just in case you are considering moving them on...
I could move the 36s on but I'm a hoarder by nature.

Bike will be pure dj/street.

Its a 26 inch wheel. The DT wheels are nothing flash but if you're interested you know where to find me.

you could always sell the mattocs?.. ;)
Again you know where to find me.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I could move the 36s on but I'm a hoarder by nature.

Bike will be pure dj/street.

Its a 26 inch wheel. The DT wheels are nothing flash but if you're interested you know where to find me.
I have Fox 36'ers for 26" destroked to 120mm. They sure inspire confidence and will go where you point them but as expected a bit portly compared to their thinner 32 cousins. I have grow to like them quite a bit.

Ultra Lord

The first iteration of fox 831 dj forks came in the 32mm chassis, then 34 and finally 36. Run the 32’s, you’ll be fine.

Edit: graves won WC 4X on 32’s.......

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Edit: graves won WC 4X on 32’s.......
Yeah but he is a light weight shred machine...

The 32 are a lot more robust than people give them credit for. If you're only dirt jumping on them you aren't going to miss the supreme corner pushing stiffness of the 36 chassis. It is pretty much a straight line...sort of.

Aren't the circus only a 32mm upper?

Ultra Lord

Yeah but he is a light weight shred machine...

The 32 are a lot more robust than people give them credit for. If you're only dirt jumping on them you aren't going to miss the supreme corner pushing stiffness of the 36 chassis. It is pretty much a straight line...sort of.

Aren't the circus only a 32mm upper?
Dudes not that light weight, and he was a monster of a man when he was racing 4X!
Circus’s are indeed 32mm, same as argyles.

Ultra Lord

Oddjob

Turns out the Fox32 is the big chassis version. So I'm going to frankenfork it with a old Talas RLC.

I'm also going to drop a set of Mattoc Pros to 100mm for some total overkill.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mattocs are 27.5" so you will want to run it with 10mm less travel again to compensate for extra axle-to-crown length.
Best bet would be to use the fox 32's for now until you are ready to buy a better 26" dj fork.