Hibike, Starbike, no more Sram to Australia!

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NX & GX have made wide range gearing very accessible, but they are the flimsiest pieces of kit I've ever seen.
I went from a bike which had 11sp XX1 to 12sp GX and the difference is huge.

My riding has changed along with the swap, but I wouldn't want to be racing with GX

BT180

Max Pfaff
Agree! Was one of the minuses when selecting my new bike. Previous bike had X01 11-speed which was bomber, but new one has GX Eagle. Weak as piss.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Agree! Was one of the minuses when selecting my new bike. Previous bike had X01 11-speed which was bomber, but new one has GX Eagle. Weak as piss.
Yeah, I made this same swap. I brought back most of the goodness with an eagle XO1 shifter.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
NX Eagle is the worst thing to happen to MTB in the last two years. Mid range bikes that were previously specced with GX 11 speed or SLX/XT now coming with NX Eagle...that shit is nasty.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I found the actual shifting feel ok, but the derailleur was flimsy AF
Huh. Opposite for me - rear mech I haven’t given two thoughts to, but the XO1 shifter improved things markedly.

Which in itself was odd because they’re largley identical internally...

But even with the XO1 shifter it’s not as sweet as the 11sp XO1 I had on the Amthem - that was lovely snickity click precision.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I found the actual shifting feel ok, but the derailleur was flimsy AF
There’s a big difference between the X01 and GX Eagle derailleur in terms of play in the moving parts. You can wobble the lower bottom of the GX cage maybe +/- 5mm compared to perhaps +/- 2mm with the X01. There's just a more precise feel to the X01 as you'd expect, but at ~$300 for the X01 derailleur I can appreciate why you're more than happy sticking with Shimano 11-speed in your stable.

Last edited:

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Only a matter of time before an XT 12spd group. Unfortunately with the geoblock it's likely to be as over priced here as Sram

moorey

call me Mia
I’ll be in no rush. Really no need for more than 42t rear for me. Any bigger, and the derailleurs are stupidly long anyway.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ll be in no rush. Really no need for more than 42t rear for me. Any bigger, and the derailleurs are stupidly long anyway.
That's why I like the look of the new Shimano 10-45 12spd. I want nice close gearing like the current 11spd XTR 11-40. You can run the new medium cage derailleur with that one too which I really like.

Currently trying an E-Thirteen 9-46 with with 11spd and the jumps in the higher gears are a bit too big for me. The 11-40 is about perfect but I start wishing for a lower gear to keep my cadence up on longer climbs.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
... I want nice close gearing like the current 11spd XTR 11-40...
Couldn't agree more. I really like the ratios on the XTR 11-40. I also like the 10 speed 11-32. It's great with the 3x drivetrain on my Anthem but I'm also running the 11-34 on the Spitty with a single ring. For longer rides cadence is very important so having the closer ratios is great. I'm thinking about going 2x (from 1x) on my Trance 29er and using the Ultegra 11 speed 11-32 rear cassette. Because of the big jumps between gears on the wide ratio cassettes I do find the 1x drivetrains a compromise.

Also, the cheap wide ratio cassettes are so stupidly heavy that a 2x system with 11-32 cassette is actually lighter and the cassettes are only $50 each.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Only a matter of time before an XT 12spd group. Unfortunately with the geoblock it's likely to be as over priced here as Sram
I'm old and my knees are fecked
Anything over 1.5 hours and I need a bail out gear bigger than 42 for steeper climbs
But jeebus, the cost of a 12 speed upgrade is horrific
No choice but XTR atm as I have always used Shitmano and just can't quite get my head around a change
Doesn't look like much of a cost saving anyway
I guess we can kiss the good old days goodbye
I'll stick to my 26'' and 10 speed for a while yet

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'm old and my knees are fecked
Anything over 1.5 hours and I need a bail out gear bigger than 42 for steeper climbs
But jeebus, the cost of a 12 speed upgrade is horrific
No choice but XTR atm as I have always used Shitmano and just can't quite get my head around a change
Doesn't look like much of a cost saving anyway
I guess we can kiss the good old days goodbye
I'll stick to my 26'' and 10 speed for a while yet
12 Speed shitmano runs a propriety "microspline" hub driver. I reckon this alone will push people towards the long running XD and Sram.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
my 11sp Sunrace / XT / XTR setup was more reliable than the 12sp GX I'm running.

Performance wise they both go click and change gears smoothly.
Credibility: I keep climbing to a minimal

DeBloot

Feeling old
12 Speed shitmano runs a propriety "microspline" hub driver. I reckon this alone will push people towards the long running XD and Sram.
So I can't use my existing 10 speed 'fecked if i can remember what hub it is' with the new 12 speed