Who rides alone ?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Drop in sparrow, where?
That little gully run out the back somewhere... I never remember the trails names and the trails loop around so much I have no idea where it actually is!! The second half has that drop into the gully nexk to the big log - erosion has been at it and there is a vertical drop onto a steep inlcined landing that then loops straight up the other side. Requires commitment! Was always sketchy, more so now.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I ride alone all the time, but will avoid bigger features or features/trails i'm not 100% confident on if i'm not with someone else. However, big stacks can still happen on a section of trail you've ridden a thousand times, so you never know. I have the emergency app ready to go that will provide location coordinates to emergency services. Just need to be in a well enough state to be able to use my phone!

Plus I make sure my Strava beacon is always running, so if i haven't moved in a while and i'm overdue, then someone will know where to find me

Scotty T

Walks the walk
That little gully run out the back somewhere... I never remember the trails names and the trails loop around so much I have no idea where it actually is!! The second half has that drop into the gully nexk to the big log - erosion has been at it and there is a vertical drop onto a steep inlcined landing that then loops straight up the other side. Requires commitment! Was always sketchy, more so now.
Kip's Canyon. I rode into it full noise and missed the line on the other side completely yesterday. My mate baulked at it two times and decided to give it a miss. It's about 1-2 foot drop but the erosion and steepness of landing makes it look much scarier than it is.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That’s the one. Last time I was there I could drop into it without too much angst, the extra drop made me baulk this time!

Has been a couple of years since I rode the sparrow side, some new trails out there! Did the 35km long loop, very nice.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I used to almost only ride alone unless I ran into someone on the trails that ended up with compatible speeds. I tended to ride more conservatively and get lost in my head a bit more when alone.

Over the last 6-9 months I've started riding more regular with a couple groups which is good. I tend to push myself more when riding with others and it's fun showing and being shown new trails or lines.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thread revival, saw the new Garmin edge 530 has a few good mtb features, I haven't had much desire for one of those but seems to have some good MTB features including trailforks, appropriately with useful directions at forks in the trail, great for travelling or exploring new territory. Another feature (why I posted in this thread) is a "he's stacked it" emergency dial notification. Has anyone used anything similar do they work ok? One reason for me not to explore much on my own isthe fear of not being found for days!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Garmin 820 has had that feature for 3+ years.

It detects a sudden stop and a jolt apparently, then goes absolutely nutts on your telephone, Bang bang bang bang bang... you have 60 seconds to comply mothafuka.... Like robocop from the 80's.

I liked it for the first 30 fake crashes, after that, I disabled it.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Garmin 820 has had that feature for 3+ years.

It detects a sudden stop and a jolt apparently, then goes absolutely nutts on your telephone, Bang bang bang bang bang... you have 60 seconds to comply mothafuka.... Like robocop from the 80's.

I liked it for the first 30 fake crashes, after that, I disabled it.
Not even 60 seconds. Two step process, first push to shut it up, then push and hold within 30 secs to stop the notification. First time mine went off I thought it was someone's car alarm.

You can also manually send a message for help by holding the power button down for long enough.

It's pretty good on my MTB, but it f@#king hates my road bike. Anytime I stop it goes off. I keep it on as it keeps Mrs George off my back about being able to be found.

Minlak

custom titis
Garmin and Strava have had it for ages in many forms it relies on having cellphone coverage of course but a text doesn’t need much to get through. Great idea if you want to feel safer.
I suggest however that people that like these features don’t actually have the adventuring spirit and just want to live forever.
Think of the cool story you will have if you survive a true ordeal.
Then you have the interviews, maybe even A Current Affair. The book deal and the get fat and rich off the motivational speech appearances.
I say how can you afford to not do your utmost to get lost.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
"I suggest however that people that like these features don’t actually have the adventuring spirit and just want to live forever. "
Agree with this .Its a nanny state techno solution.Would drive me crazy.
A friend who never takes risks has it on an Apple watch.
Everytime he uses a hammer or jolts it asks if he has had a fall, is he alright , if no response it starts calling emergency services !!!
I read that most epirb alarms are false and cause unnecessary panic .
I had an experience of one saving an old woman's life at Charlotte Pass but it was hellish in the blizzard conditions to find her as the GPS coordinates were about 400 m out.
My best effort was badly breaking my ankle back country at Hotham , alone, out of mobile range and having to hop up a 30 degree slope [ Dargo bowls ] using poles and skis as crutches.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Pretty sure the 520 has this function as well, I ride mostly alone but have never used it as it would be constantly sending messages.

Edit: Yeap, here it is... bang crash

It's pretty good on my MTB, but it f@#king hates my road bike. Anytime I stop it goes off. I keep it on as it keeps Mrs George off my back about being able to be found.
Is that because you ride past the pub on the way home and she can keep tabs on you?

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Incident detection is a supplemental feature primarily designed for road use

Bahahaha! If I stop at my front gate and the rear even thinks about leaving the ground and then thudding back down it goes nuts. It's a bit too sensitive for the stiffness of a road bike.

Is that because you ride past the pub on the way home and she can keep tabs on you?
She doesn't mind the pub stop, it's getting the blood out of my clothes after it has dried. Reckons it's easier if she can get there while it's still wet

Ackland

chats d'élevage
90% of my rides are on my own....
For some reason I don't get many takers joining me on my training routes....

I make sure that my wife knows my intended route and check in when I'm at the furthest point and give an eta on home time.

I'm also a Marathon XC rider, not enduro or DH so whilst I'll throw Black Diamond descents into my loops, I'm not challenging myself to go big