The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
It's the poor that are using the franking credits the most, all it will do is make low income retirees depose of investments and get more of the pension.

View attachment 352862
But how many will be on the cusp and kicked off franking and onto the pension? Noting that they’re both government payments so maybe no different at the end of the day?

And as far as I understand it, most are either already on the pension ( and hence exempted) or wealthy enough we don’t need to subsidise them anyway?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Voting below the line means numbering at least 12 boxes. This presupposes that there are 12 candidates worth voting for. I could do that backwards.

Flow-Rider

Burner
But how many will be on the cusp and kicked off franking and onto the pension? Noting that they’re both government payments so maybe no different at the end of the day?

And as far as I understand it, most are either already on the pension ( and hence exempted) or wealthy enough we don’t need to subsidise them anyway?
I think there are some exceptions with pensioners but a few hundred dollars per person in franking credits is worth a lot less than a years full pension and it will be a game changer for future retirees.

[Edit] If anything they need to cut back retirement entitlements to senators and members and I bet that will fill a large hole in debt.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I think this is telling me
There were 1mil people earning $43,200 or less benefiting from franking credits ... so ~100k people above this income tier

The bottom graphic I think says
$1,400,000,000 was allocated to the green tier or 1mil people = $1400 / person
Then 600,000,000 to the top tiers or 100k people = $6000/person
So that’s almost 4x more benefit to the top tier who are 10% of the larger population.

But i don’t completely understand the top graphic ... “each band is 10%” I don’t understand this ... I think this means the number of people isn’t 1mil and 100k ... but a multiple??

If you read the wording more carefully... the red band is 50% but I’m not sure if that means anything not a shade of green? Or just purely red. Bit confusion as I can’t see a 50:50 split in either graphic. So this could mean 1mil people get 50% and 100k get 50% of total franking credits which makes it worse
1000,000,000/1mil = $1000/person
1000,000,000/100k = $10000/person or 10x benefit to the top tier

So either way it’s misleading, doesn’t factor in that a large chunk of those lower wage earners are likely in industry funds which would be exempt ... and also doesn’t account for the benefits Labour would redirect their savings towards ie lower wage earners, pensioners, etc etc.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
But i don’t completely understand the top graphic ... “each band is 10%” I don’t understand this ... I think this means the number of people isn’t 1mil and 100k ... but a multiple??
Taking the title at face value I believe this is correct, although if so it means there are 11 million people claiming franking credits, which seems high.

There were 1mil people earning $43,200 or less benefiting from franking credits
The misleading bit of this chart (if you read it in isolation) is assuming that if you are in the green tiers on this chart you are 'poor', as this chart is is ranked on taxable income. This doesn't include tax free super, nor does it have anything to do with overall wealth. The next two interactive charts (the purple ones) are the ones attempt to quantify that. Some examples highlighted in the article:

The Parliamentary Budget Office estimated the bottom 50 per cent of households by net wealth own just 3.2 per cent of the total value of Australia's shares, with 72 per cent of the value of all shares held by the top 10 per cent.
So nearly three quarters of of shares are owned by households with a net wealth of $1.97m and over, and that's before factoring in the value of their home or other property assets.

The Parliamentary Budget Office analysed the impact of the policy on this sector, finding that in 2014-15, 201,439 self-managed superannuation funds claimed almost $2.6 billion worth of excess franking credits. The bottom half by fund balance claimed just 6.4 per cent of the total value, compared to more than half claimed by the top 10 per cent of funds with balances of more than $2.4 million.
And as highlighted earlier

More than two-thirds of refunds to SMSFs are to those whose fund balance per member is greater than $1 million
Actually if you look at the chart it's actually just over 70% of the total franking credit refunds are claimed by funds with balances of higher than $1 million.

Leaving aside the statistics, the fact that this policy was introduced by 'lil Johnny Howard is basically a guarantee that it was aimed at well to do middle class baby boomers, as that was his voter base!

DeBloot

Feeling old
Can someone (Al) answer this for me
A self-funded retiree couple with a $3.2 million super balance, plus their own home draw $130,000 a year in superannuation income.
They own $200,000 in Australian shares held outside super and take a further $15,000 a year in dividend income.
As the income from super is tax free they report a combined taxable income of just $15,000.
Under the current system this couple can claim excess franking credits as a cash refund on the shares they own. (30% of $15k?)
Under the proposed system they pay no tax and receive no refund.
Correct?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Leaving aside the statistics, the fact that this policy was introduced by 'lil Johnny Howard is basically a guarantee that it was aimed at well to do middle class baby boomers, as that was his voter base!
I think you mean the battlers...he was all out for the Aussie battlers...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Can someone (Al) answer this for me
A self-funded retiree couple with a $3.2 million super balance, plus their own home draw $130,000 a year in superannuation income.
They own $200,000 in Australian shares held outside super and take a further $15,000 a year in dividend income.
As the income from super is tax free they report a combined taxable income of just $15,000.
Under the current system this couple can claim excess franking credits as a cash refund on the shares they own. (30% of $15k?)
Under the proposed system they pay no tax and receive no refund.
Correct?
That is how i read it.

DeBloot

Feeling old
That is how i read it.
So with $3.4 million in investments + their own home, they are considered part of the 'poor' suffering from the proposal because they have a taxable income of $15 000.
Compare them to the woman I just read about who at 62 lives in a caravan with $377 a week newstart that leaves her f all after expenses.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With an industry super fund, when that is paid out, it's likely that the returns and some of the principal is paid out each year. With a SMSF, I imagine there aren't too many who eat into the principal (i.e. sell shares). Who out there is a Gen X / Millennial waiting for that bonanza of an inheritance!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
With an industry super fund, when that is paid out, it's likely that the returns and some of the principal is paid out each year. With a SMSF, I imagine there aren't too many who eat into the principal (i.e. sell shares). Who out there is a Gen X / Millennial waiting for that bonanza of an inheritance!
You just need to make sure it looks like an accident.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I had thought negative gearing and Franking Credits etc was Hawke/Keating era reforms ... but I'll be honest I dont really know.

@DeBloot ... @scblack will know way more about super specifics then me ... I'm just an anal-ist ;)

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Hawke introduced the dividend imputation system, but once an individual's entire tax liability had been offset, any excess credits could not be claimed as a cash tax refund, so were effectively worthless. Howard changed the law to allow individuals and superannuation funds to claim "excess" imputation credits as cash refunds.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
We pay people who can't find work 39 bucks a day. They kinda need the money more than people with two houses or a share portfolio. I could go on about this at length but we don't need to.

Watched Q&A with 3 parties and the independent for Indi, it's becoming clear the above policies are chicken feed compared to the elephant in the room. It's looking like the climate election no matter how the media and the politicians want to sell it.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
So with $3.4 million in investments + their own home, they are considered part of the 'poor' suffering from the proposal because they have a taxable income of $15 000.
Compare them to the woman I just read about who at 62 lives in a caravan with $377 a week newstart that leaves her f all after expenses.
I see this more as a problem with not assessing/taxing super income properly.

Here's another scenario to consider. Uni student wants an investment. Buys some BHP shares. Works in cafe. Earns $10k a year. Pays no tax on cafe wages (below tax free threshold) but has actually had to pay 30% on any dividends which ia like being taxed in the 30% bracket. That's also unfair.