The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah, but according International Energy Agency figures Australia accounts for just under 1% of the entire global emissions scale. So if you assume 100% successful removal of CO2 emissions within Australia, you're talking about a drop in the ocean of the global effect. That's not to say the cause is ignoble because it has difficult odds, and it is everyone's cumulative effects that will add up, and leading by example is certainly a virtuous action.
And with that in mind; maybe it's not a change that will come from within a Gov't policy, but through altering the public zeitgeist on the matter, but I have no idea how that's going to happen when all you want to do is berate anyone who doesn't subscribe (in a very strict fashion) to your views.

I am sorry to question a question, as you seem to the only one making an effort to even try and listen to another point of view. But seeing as we're not in a Kafka novel, I think the burden's on you there; what exactly makes them unethical to vote for?

Try and keep in mind that there are many ways to skin a cat. You might have made your mind up on how you think things should be done, but that doesn't mean there's not another way. Only need to look as far as bottom bracket standards to see evidence of that.
What are the other ways?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yeah, but according International Energy Agency figures Australia accounts for just under 1% of the entire global emissions scale. So if you assume 100% successful removal of CO2 emissions within Australia, you're talking about a drop in the ocean of the global effect. That's not to say the cause is ignoble because it has difficult odds, and it is everyone's cumulative effects that will add up, and leading by example is certainly a virtuous action.
And with that in mind; maybe it's not a change that will come from within a Gov't policy, but through altering the public zeitgeist on the matter, but I have no idea how that's going to happen when all you want to do is berate anyone who doesn't subscribe (in a very strict fashion) to your views.

I am sorry to question a question, as you seem to the only one making an effort to even try and listen to another point of view. But seeing as we're not in a Kafka novel, I think the burden's on you there; what exactly makes them unethical to vote for?

Try and keep in mind that there are many ways to skin a cat. You might have made your mind up on how you think things should be done, but that doesn't mean there's not another way. Only need to look as far as bottom bracket standards to see evidence of that.
The 1% argument is unethical.

Ethics to me are pretty simple in regards to the issues that defined this election - look to a government that has the society in mind, has an understanding of the bigger picture and longer term. Doesn’t lie.

To vote for continued wealth transfer to the wealthy, and further embedding of short term self centred populist culture is to my mind unethical.

I can see the “conservative” side feeling ethical if so many of their data inputs for this one were based in fact... But too many didn’t bother to question things and went along with it and that’s also unethical - as a participant in a democracy you are obligated to make an informed decision. Being misinformed only lets you off so much...

Freediver

I can go full Karen

We actually produce about 1.3 % of global emissions not under 1% as Bolt states. This is pretty selfish for 0.3 percent of the worlds population.
If you add up the CO2 from all the countries producing less than 2% it adds up to over half of all emissions. Should all the countries in this range do nothing?

Haakon

Voting on local issues in a national election is also unethical. You might get a nice outcome locally - but if you condemn the broader country to a crap outcome, that's not very civil and missed the point of a NATIONAL election...

Vote on state issues in a state election, vote on local issues in your local council elections. Not rocket surgery.

Last edited:

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Senate makeup is interesting. For the government to get their 39 votes, Looking like:

Liberals will have 34
Cory Bernardi
Pauline, Malcolm Roberts
Centre Alliance x 2
Jacqui Lambie

That's 40. Much easier to negotiate with than the last parliament.

Haakon

The one conversation worth having and your response is avoid and ridicule. How's that superior position working out for you?
We're looking set for a majority Gov't and four more seats in the Senate. If you guys are so god damned smart, why can't you figure out how to win?
Because we don't lie about things and appeal to things that require a little thought. I expect this will change and that's the last time any party campaigns on issues that complex or require personal sacrifice for the "greater good".

View attachment 353102

Also, as far as lecturing me on CO2 emissions, I have only just bought my first car...at age 31. My primary form of transport for my entire life has been my feet, and my bikes. I can count the litres of fuel I have burned in my car on my hands and feet still. I produce my own yoghurt and baked my own bread to cut down on plastic waste; my non-recyclable waste I might add, is probably about a weetbix box worth every fortnight (on a bad fortnight). For the better part of my life I ate hunted meat, not farmed. I've never built a house, we collected our own firewood in winter from dead ironbarks (or put on a fucking jumper) instead of running heating, I even do my own clothes repairs. I have a significant road trip in 6-weeks time, I'll have still ridden further than I have driven this year...and I got a lot of miles to cover before that gets close to the lifetime numbers.
Awesome. Not really helpful if you assist a party that actively discourages such things though... Undoes all your work and more.

What a fucking joke, the most conservative guy on the entire site is the greenest.
If you hate fossil fuels so much, you can always cancel your power bill and buy some solar panels and a wind turbine. But none of you have because your issue is still an economic one in that you expect everything you value to be paid for by someone else, and you expect everything you dislike to be banned.
I would rather spend much much much less money in taxes and access the efficiencies of centralised renewable grid. You cant claim to be a conservative and think everyone doing their own thing is rational surely?

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Voting on local issues in a national election is also unethical.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's worse. People vote based on personal gains. It's the capitalist way and has been like that for a long time.

Hence why I thought it was really stupid for labor to propose both NG and franking credit reform effectively marginalising middle class folks with IPs, first home owners getting into the market with NG and old folks with franking credits. My post mortem would also suggest they didn't go hard enough on climate and their advertising and messaging was non-existent. I basically didn't see any ALP ads, although that might be due to Clive buying out the entire market lol.

Haakon

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's worse. People vote based on personal gains. It's the capitalist way and has been like that for a long time.

Hence why I thought it was really stupid for labor to propose both NG and franking credit reform effectively marginalising middle class folks with IPs, first home owners getting into the market with NG and old folks with franking credits. My post mortem would also suggest they didn't go hard enough on climate and their advertising and messaging was non-existent. I basically didn't see any ALP ads, although that might be due to Clive buying out the entire market lol.
Yep.

moorey

call me Mia
Not all. But unfortunately too many. Unfortunately also, many people are brainwashed to vote AGAINST their interests without realising it.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
@Zaf, what are the “other ways to skin a cat” you speak of?

I’m not being a dick, it’s a genuine question. What do the liberals propose?