The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Now I better get back to reveling in my privilege, and keeping the little man down and smoking cigars and laughing at the poor. Or whatever it is you guys think I do.
Well your definitely not voting to help them are you.

How do we fix CC while keeping right wingers happy?

What will it take to get conservatives on board?

I don’t give a fuck about the us vs. them, I just want my future kiddies to have a nice planet to live in. Help me understand so I can convey my beliefs to the conservatives I’m surrounded by so they start to care about it too. Help me help them, thus helping me and any future little me’s.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
My modern history (80’s) knowledge is fuzzy and in 99 I was 8. You’ve raised more questions than answered for me haha
Missed the date a bit. I was referring to pre-2001 when Beijing won the right to host the 2008 olympics and subsequently implemented a whole stack of initiatives to reduce smog. Likewise California up until the 80s had constant smog issues. However both are partially due to geographic bad luck - maybe when adani poisons the QLD water supply they might take notice.

For the record I am pretty much pro climate action, however I rekon there is no reason why we've had to take the hard line for 20+ years on climate action. Baby steps. Just go in with a climate policy - it doesn't need to even say 100% renewables or even mention Paris. Just gradually shift policy to decarbonise our economy with baby steps. I rekon people freak out when they see how stuffed we are and simply give up and then look out for their own pockets.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Missed the date a bit. I was referring to pre-2001 when Beijing won the right to host the 2008 olympics and subsequently implemented a whole stack of initiatives to reduce smog. Likewise California up until the 80s had constant smog issues. However both are partially due to geographic bad luck - maybe when adani poisons the QLD water supply they might take notice.

For the record I am pretty much pro climate action, however I rekon there is no reason why we've had to take the hard line for 20+ years on climate action. Baby steps. Just go in with a climate policy - it doesn't need to even say 100% renewables or even mention Paris. Just gradually shift policy to decarbonise our economy with baby steps. I rekon people freak out when they see how stuffed we are and simply give up and then look out for their own pockets.
Yeah but winning slowly is the same as losing.

Policy needs to guarantee 50% CO2 emissions reduction across all energy sectors by 2030 & zero emissions by 2050.

If we’d have started 20 years ago we’d have the luxury of baby steps. But we don’t any more.

Physics isn’t political.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Yeah but winning slowly is the same as losing.
Totally agree. But I do think we tend to shove policy down throats which does more harm than good. A good example is the greens all those years back blocking ETS because it wasn't good enough and boy do they with we had anything right now.

If we’d have started 20 years ago we’d have the luxury of baby steps. But we don’t any more.
Contrary to most environmentalists, I think Australia does have the luxury of baby steps, but only in some areas. Our local emissions are small and we can afford time to transition our grid and economy to suit. But the export stuff is the challenging stuff.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Contrary to most environmentalists, I think Australia does have the luxury of baby steps
No, we really don't. Much of that is related to our moral obligations at the very very least. But I can assure you time is up and has been for a while.

Any further delays do not possess any available justifications that are either rational or ethically defendable.

moorey

call me Mia
Well your definitely not voting to help them are you.

How do we fix CC while keeping right wingers happy?

What will it take to get conservatives on board?

I don’t give a fuck about the us vs. them, I just want my future kiddies to have a nice planet to live in. Help me understand so I can convey my beliefs to the conservatives I’m surrounded by so they start to care about it too. Help me help them, thus helping me and any future little me’s.
You’re

Scotty T

Walks the walk
You have no sample size, and you have deduced an intent and reasoning behind what is a fairly complex multi-factored decision for a person to make, and come to the conclusion that they are all driven by greed and greed alone. It's amazing!!
Greed is a strong word. You're right. Many voted out of ignorance, fear or both.

In the context of climate change being the least self important issue, not voting Green to at least start a process of stronger (probably still not enough) action means you voted for something important for you and/or some other group/s you care about. It's not pure greed by definition but feels a bit greedy to me. I wasn't presenting a thesis on the case.

Heard today in real life...

Public servant: "I'ts good and bad for me because my husband's small business will do better with Liberal"

Yet the promises were the same for small biz.

Local retail worker: "I just didn't want Labor to tax my car"

They weren't going to.

Delivery driver: "I don't give a shit"

Also a huge problem.

Haakon

Greed is a strong word. You're right. Many voted out of ignorance, fear or both.

In the context of climate change being the least self important issue, not voting Green to at least start a process of stronger (probably still not enough) action means you voted for something important for you and/or some other group/s you care about. It's not pure greed by definition but feels a bit greedy to me. I wasn't presenting a thesis on the case.

Heard today in real life...

Public servant: "I'ts good and bad for me because my husband's small business will do better with Liberal"

Yet the promises were the same for small biz.

Local retail worker: "I just didn't want Labor to tax my car"

They weren't going to.

Delivery driver: "I don't give a shit"

Also a huge problem.
The lies worked... That’s the bit that really fucks me up.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
No, we really don't. Much of that is related to our moral obligations at the very very least. But I can assure you time is up and has been for a while.

Any further delays do not possess any available justifications that are either rational or ethically defendable.
Shut up hippy, we're but a grain of rice.

A really horrible grain of rice, but don't tell anyone.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Just overheard in pho joint.
A young Asian Australian girl, probably just voted for her first time.
" I don't know why anybody would vote labor, it makes no difference to us who wins but Liberals are better for business which is better for everyone"
Her friend agreed.
We are doomed if she is representative of our youth

Haakon

Just overheard in pho joint.
A young Asian Australian girl, probably just voted for her first time.
" I don't know why anybody would vote labor, it makes no difference to us who wins but Liberals are better for business which is better for everyone"
Her friend agreed.
We are doomed if she is representative of our youth
The challange for labour is to counter the lies and myths... But I think this is a turning point and its going to irretrievable - I really really hope I'm wrong, but I think Australia just admitted to itself it doesn't give a fuck and is proud to selfish, stupid, and ignorant.

I think I'm like people who never really took any notice of climate change and kept on merrily thinking there was time and it would be fine. My error was in not seeing how badly the culture and society in general had sunk into wilful ignorance, and I still thought it was saveable and would make good decisions eventually if reasoned with. I was wrong. Like climate change, its too late and has been for a long time.

Well done Murdoch, you win.

Last edited:

Mr Adonis

Likes Bikes
What im really enjoying is the dummy spits of the left here - much the same as when Trump won.
It seems as though that Climate change is the MAJOR issue, the left tells us.
Its great people have seen through this scam - im sick and tired of been lectured, abused, given strange looks when i tell people I think CC is a crock of shit.
I dont care about feelings, just facts - we were told years ago it wouldnt rain alot, no more snow, dams wouldnt fill, etc...Guess what guys, none of this eventuated!
Even our chief scientist stated that if we had ZERO carbon emmisions, it would only increase our temp by less that 1 degree.
Labor / Greens told us this was a CC election, and guess what - the public voted NO to the scam.
Suck it up!

Haakon

What im really enjoying is the dummy spits of the left here - much the same as when Trump won.
It seems as though that Climate change is the MAJOR issue, the left tells us.
Its great people have seen through this scam - im sick and tired of been lectured, abused, given strange looks when i tell people I think CC is a crock of shit.
I dont care about feelings, just facts - we were told years ago it wouldnt rain alot, no more snow, dams wouldnt fill, etc...Guess what guys, none of this eventuated!
Even our chief scientist stated that if we had ZERO carbon emmisions, it would only increase our temp by less that 1 degree.
Labor / Greens told us this was a CC election, and guess what - the public voted NO to the scam.
Suck it up!
...... Like I said, wilful ignorance. It takes actual effort to still hold this view these days.

Last edited: