VIC Lysterfield Park

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Anyone here do twilight rides? It's been a while since I last did (like 3+years). Turns out my batteries have degraded a bit and one of them lost charge around blair witch. Fun times but I don't remember it being this hard running into every possible root out there lol.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Anyone here do twilight rides? It's been a while since I last did (like 3+years). Turns out my batteries have degraded a bit and one of them lost charge around blair witch. Fun times but I don't remember it being this hard running into every possible root out there lol.
Whenever possible I try to get to the Tuesday night rides, head out from horsewood Rd at 6. Good riding at night, adds a different spin on familiar trails.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
until about 18 months ago, I was in there every second night around 10pm, in the 5 or so years I was doing it, I came across 6 other riders. once there was a french couple riding up one of the fire roads at the end of hug, they FREAKED out when I arrived and bolted down the hill. Christ I miss it almost as much as my health and fitness.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got out for an early start this morning and go bombing down 'sneaky little downhill' from the Servo on Wellington rd.
Set up ready to smash the wall ride berm in the half darkness then realise its been heavily modified and turned into yet another kicker to flat with corresponding additional trail coming in from the right to hit it at the correct angle. Almost came a cropper.

Why the hell would they modify what was possibly the most unique feature in the area? Its now ruined :(

They have also put in a number of other kickers to flat further down the same trail. Could be sketchy, be carful of landing on a poorly angled root the first time you head down.

teK--

Eats Squid
Got out for an early start this morning and go bombing down 'sneaky little downhill' from the Servo on Wellington rd.
Set up ready to smash the wall ride berm in the half darkness then realise its been heavily modified and turned into yet another kicker to flat with corresponding additional trail coming in from the right to hit it at the correct angle. Almost came a cropper.

Why the hell would they modify what was possibly the most unique feature in the area? Its now ruined :(

They have also put in a number of other kickers to flat further down the same trail. Could be sketchy, be carful of landing on a poorly angled root the first time you head down.
But the lystie builders love kickers to flat!

In 10 years lysterfield is going to be a 100% green trail but they will keep the gradings. Then people will try ride black runs other places and actually die lol.
I was thinking that actually.. e.g Follow Me is rated double black diamond .. anyone who rides that and expects the same at somewhere like Bright is really gonna axe themselves.

Jpez

Down on the left!
But the lystie builders love kickers to flat!

I was thinking that actually.. e.g Follow Me is rated double black diamond .. anyone who rides that and expects the same at somewhere like Bright is really gonna axe themselves.
What? Double black? Who rates these trails.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Its a bit like people who ride "all the black runs" at the youies
God forbid they go to NZ and point down a single black run for a warm up.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
God forbid they go to NZ and point down a single black run for a warm up.
Seriously they really need to levelise grading. I remember thinking Queenstown was going to be fun flowy and the bloke at the chair lift insisted I start at green. Amongst me was all sorts of average hacks in mostly giant reigns including a few of the local girls who were on lunch break and still in cafe uniform. Anyway went on a single black and cooked the brakes first go! Said ladies left me for dead.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What? Double black? Who rates these trails.
Dirt jump kickers and drops to flat maybe it’s rated double black for xc hardtails? The trail asks too much for the elevation.. Same with the brain hemorrhage trail..

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Thanks for the constructive criticism, the builders will be sure to pass it along to parks who will completely ignore it all. We've always struggled to get new stuff approved and it's usually subject to heavy scrutiny, hoops to jump through, and dumbing down just in order to get it past.

Parks put the double black rating on follow me, despite being told by Ldtr that it was not (we put a sticker on sign to make it single black, possibly gone now). Parks also demolished all the features on wallaby hop to make some runners happy. They complain about minor features and now seemingly just flatten them if they don't like them. Aneurysm is currently in danger of being dumbed down further still, despite being an officially black trail they seem to think it should ride entirely like a mild green. Aaaaaand the entire network is about to be made one way.

I understand some people don't like how 'easy' the park is, but try not having a shot at the builders. They're up against some serious resistance and continue to put efforts in to make the best of the situation as it is.

Edit - apologies, venting some frustrations...

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Funny you should say that, maintenance dates have been put on hold. Sad that it has to come to that though