Shimano XT / SLX 12-Speed

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
If super boost bollocks comes to xc frames I'm friggin out!
IMO it should have come to all frames years ago instead of dripfeeding another stupid halfway standard (Boost). If the goal is to improve stiffness, tyre clearance etc, bike manufacturers should have done it once and done it properly. But yea I get the frustration at it all...

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Another big advantage of 1x is getting rid of the front derailleur.
front derailleurs are good but high maintenance to keep from rubbing + shifting well

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
In fear of throwing this thread way off topic, I seriously don't understand the hate for front derailleurs. It would by far and away be the component I've touched the least in the 27 years of looking after my own bikes.

I've never used a SRAM one though.
We must be the lucky ones. I've never had to mess with any of mine since they were installed either. They just work.

Nevertheless, out of fashion, they are.

Once they have been totally forgotten and throw in the dustbin of history then they will come back like Lazarus as a front mounted gear range extender and be hailed as an innovation and frothing MTB magazines with be touting these as why didn't they think of this sooner.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In fear of throwing this thread way off topic, I seriously don't understand the hate for front derailleurs. It would by far and away be the component I've touched the least in the 27 years of looking after my own bikes.

Neither have SRAM. The tech was too hard for them to get right.

Nothing wrong with a front derailleur.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I dont think people hate it but just think that its unnecessary as the benefits of 1x outway the negatives. With 1x systems you get enough range, reduced clutter on the bars, reduced parts to maintain/fix, reduced cabling, and can put a dropper lever where it would normally go.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Bizarre situation. Presumably they think they can move more wheelsets this way? I would have thought they'd do better opening it up.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Bizarre situation. Presumably they think they can move more wheelsets this way? I would have thought they'd do better opening it up.
Weird move on the microspline. The microspline doesn't actually solve any problems. It just adds a new standard and gives us a 10t cog - not really an issue as you can just make the front chainring smaller. It doesn't actually fix any of the freehub issues people really want fixed like cogs chewing freehubs for example, a simple problem to fix that xd at least has a crack at.

Also why create another hub spacing standard when they could have just adopted slightly wider road 11sp if they needed more width? Presumably this would be easily done and not eat too much into the already widend brace angle of boost. Besides with huge cassette teeth numbers you could just dish the cassette even more and it will still fit.

On top of the price gouge, I rekon most people are going to keep their wallets shut - I'm gonna stay on 10 speed and 142 for a while until these guys can sort their shit out.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Weird move on the microspline. The microspline doesn't actually solve any problems. It just adds a new standard and gives us a 10t cog - not really an issue as you can just make the front chainring smaller. It doesn't actually fix any of the freehub issues people really want fixed like cogs chewing freehubs for example, a simple problem to fix that xd at least has a crack at.
Interesting that Shimano must have handed out the specs to CK/Hope etc earlier but must have a few 'preferred' OEM's as Hope mentioned.

Makes you wonder if it is a bit of a turf war response to XD only. Lock you in with a spline standard and sell all the compatible stuff built around it sold by vendors that are part of your club. I hope we aren't going down the whole single 'ecosystem' path bit it sure sounds like they might have at least thought about it.

The consumer seems to be the last consideration with these types of things unfortunately. Sigh....

SummitFever

Eats Squid
$hitmano has gone microspline because it allows them to fit a 10t cog while maintaining their current cluster production methods of loose/stamped little cogs. cf. xD where the cluster has to be a complete unit and separate cogs don't work. In theory, it should mean cheaper 12 speed clusters than SRAM, but they will probably be stupidly heavy.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Downhill went 157 many years ago, it was a flange moving exercise but they knew it was 83mm BB, so its called 'DH157'.

They then discovered that they could go the absolute max of 157mm with a 73mm BB. Called 'Trail 157' or Super Boost Plus 157 by frame manufacturers.

Instead of the big jump, from 142mm to the max 157 without doing shit with our Q factor, they shafted us with 148 boost, it will be a 1-2 year fad.... love massive gainzzzzzzz

The move from 157mm upwards will be in the fatbike cat... I have 2 sets of wheels at 195mm... come at me.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner

Pretty much the same here, only problem I've found is in serious clay mud they cake up and can stop working.

We must be the lucky ones. I've never had to mess with any of mine since they were installed either. They just work.

Nevertheless, out of fashion, they are.

Once they have been totally forgotten and throw in the dustbin of history then they will come back like Lazarus as a front mounted gear range extender and be hailed as an innovation and frothing MTB magazines with be touting these as why didn't they think of this sooner.

I don't think they're going to totally go away but 3x has come to an end.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I don't think they're going to totally go away but 3x has come to an end.
Yep, 3x and 2x are done.

1x works fine and you sure use more of the cassette than before. Just done have that big cranking 40T+ ring now and everything is more spinning than pushing big gears. Fine for me as my knees aren't getting any younger.

The clutched derailleur is a nice idea and stops any slap. A win there.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2x and 3x are still needed for newbies. My daughter rides every few months and just blows here self up in the first 30 mins on a 1x. I put the 2x back in the bike and she is happy as.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Most of my bikes are still 3x9 just works.
However for bikes that mostly go down or big rear suspension 1x is king.
What I was saying was that with cable stretch and general bashing the front derailleur can rub or limit the size of the back tyre cos it rubs in granny.
They are fairly fiddly to adjust cos they can go up/down , twistside to side , change cable tension.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I'm sure it is a great piece of kit but if you actually want it then you may have evil geoblocking to contend with too.
Has to knock it down a rung or two of the drivetrain totem pole.
  • If Eagle has 50T then Shimano has to have 51T.
  • Back at the SRAM marketing lair, a 52T cassette was hastily cobbled up to keep up with the teeth arms race.
  • Meanwhile the customer was fine with 46T but, strangely and utterly predictably, no one actually asked that key question.
  • A large bag of freshly cooked dicks was opened.
I thought similar, but the 51T isn't the cassette arms race / dick measuring competition that it appears to be. It's actually so the cassette has an even jump between the higher gears (even 6T spread between the top 4 gears, full range replicated below for fellow sad people to obsess over)*

It would (probably) give it an edge in smoothness over Eagle (8T jump to lowest gear) and 11-46 XT (9T jump). Even Sram admit they kinda discovered 12 speed by accident during routine R&D and decided to jam the biggest pizza tray they could find on it for the lowest gear so they could claim 9000% gear range** so the more even spread of Shimano's 12 speed gear certainly looks like it would work better.

Having said all that if Shimano is pulling some favoritism garbage and excluding venerable genius factories like Hope and Chris King from using their stupid Microspline then my money will go to Sram until the end of time.

*(10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-33-39-45-51)

**possibly paraphrasing

Last edited: