What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Okee Dokee Kona ride number two.

Did a solo lap of lysty, and although I had fun, particularly on the downs, wahoo and my hrm show clearly that my new bike is very slow uphill, pretty slow even on the flats/slight rises, slightly faster downhill, and my heartrate was way up, most of the time, compared with solo laps on my stumpy.

Loved the precision of the steering, jumped dog pound like a mofo and it lands jumps way better with no flexing. I'd moved the dropper lever next to the grip so I didn't have to take my hand off to use the dropper, and I'd swapped in my stumpy seat with more setback so it felt better sizewise.

BUT... I've gotta fix the climbing. It's running minions with tubes front 2.5 and rear 2.3, and I think they may be the problem, not sure though, but I feel like I'm riding through treacle even on the flats, uphill is worse. My stumpy has nobby nic front 2.25 and rocket ron rear 2.10 running low pressure tubeless and compared, climbs like a mofo. The new bike is over a couple of kg heavier, which was expected, but the treacle effect was not. I'm thinking of trying an appropriate sized nic/ron combo, just to see. That and no tubes should lose some weight and hopefully help (a lot) with rolling resistance. Maybe even a racing ralph on the rear to help things along even more.

Anyway, anything going downward was awesome.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Climb switch + tyres and you’ll be back to climbing like a goat on cocain in no time!

Pretty different tyres, no wonder it feels abit aluggish in comparison.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Raced mine this morning too. 3 time trials. 1km, 6km and 10km. After decades of riding long but not especially fast, I was quite predictably average over 1km, 6th fastest over 6km, and 3rd (I think) over 10km.

Adjusting for my career total of 5 races, I'm pretty happy with that.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Raced mine this morning too. 3 time trials. 1km, 6km and 10km. After decades of riding long but not especially fast, I was quite predictably average over 1km, 6th fastest over 6km, and 3rd (I think) over 10km.

Adjusting for my career total of 5 races, I'm pretty happy with that.
It's an easy track to overburn on. Happy to see the TT round finally up and running too. Somewhat glad not having to ride it though!!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
minions with tubes front 2.5 and rear 2.3... nobby nic front 2.25 and rocket ron rear 2.10 running low pressure tubeless
Massive difference in grip, rolling resistance and weight, a DH setup and an XC setup.

Around a kilo a tyre with the Minions + tubes vs 500g-700g on the NN/RR.

Run the Minions till the winter is over then go something halfway, maybe Ardents or similar, would be a crime to run Rocket Rons on that machine.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okee Dokee Kona ride number two.

Did a solo lap of lysty, and although I had fun, particularly on the downs, wahoo and my hrm show clearly that my new bike is very slow uphill, pretty slow even on the flats/slight rises, slightly faster downhill, and my heartrate was way up, most of the time, compared with solo laps on my stumpy.

Loved the precision of the steering, jumped dog pound like a mofo and it lands jumps way better with no flexing. I'd moved the dropper lever next to the grip so I didn't have to take my hand off to use the dropper, and I'd swapped in my stumpy seat with more setback so it felt better sizewise.

BUT... I've gotta fix the climbing. It's running minions with tubes front 2.5 and rear 2.3, and I think they may be the problem, not sure though, but I feel like I'm riding through treacle even on the flats, uphill is worse. My stumpy has nobby nic front 2.25 and rocket ron rear 2.10 running low pressure tubeless and compared, climbs like a mofo. The new bike is over a couple of kg heavier, which was expected, but the treacle effect was not. I'm thinking of trying an appropriate sized nic/ron combo, just to see. That and no tubes should lose some weight and hopefully help (a lot) with rolling resistance. Maybe even a racing ralph on the rear to help things along even more.

Anyway, anything going downward was awesome.
Yep, tyres every day of the week there. As good as minions are pointed down, they are slow as feck on the flats, plus heavy. Especially that 2.5. tubes won't be helping.

If you want to keep it Maxxis but run something similar to your old Nobby Nic/ Rocket Ron setup, A Forkaster/ Rekon combo is a fast trail setup.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yep, tyres every day of the week there. As good as minions are pointed down, they are slow as feck on the flats, plus heavy. Especially that 2.5. tubes won't be helping.

If you want to keep it Maxxis but run something similar to your old Nobby Nic/ Rocket Ron setup, A Forkaster/ Rekon combo is a fast trail setup.
High Roller II's roll pretty good and great grip but still maybe a bit chunky if you want really fast rolling. Don't get the soft ones.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Another good setup would be a Specialized Butcher front and Slaughter rear in the standard 2bliss casing.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Given it's straight and super clear, we can't rule out that it was mach turbulence ;-)
That tree is at the bottom of the little section that is usually a bit traction free.

Serves myself right anyhow, I've been asking for it there for some time now. I never said I was any good either :)

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
He has spent countless hours following roo trails through the bush & on one occasion he foolishly decided to take a RAKE.
10yrs, 1,000hrs, 9 rakes, 6 pair boots & countless blisters , the mad bastard's still at it !!
After two 25k & one 10k singletracks on the town's southside, he's now working on a 10k northside.
The local 'establishment' are now looking down their long noses & making snide remarks about his dilapidated house, his fire hazard & snake infested backyard & the scattered abandoned vehicles where there was once lawn.
The wannabe house ruler has lost all sense of humour & although she's made no actual threats of physical violence he fears it's only a matter of time.
Despite all this, he continues on completely oblivious to anything & everything...…...apart from his bikes & their trails.
Hmmmmm……………………………..roo trails.
I was thinking that this might have been Coolah...but now I think it be Geurie.

As for your warning regarding roo trails...it is noted...but far too late.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Still chasing that elusive front end security. Didn't want a -17° stem, but on a 69.5° HA it actually works out to be nearly horizontal. Drops the bars 13mm lower. Shouldn't look too ugly. K-Edge garmin mount to keep the computer on the right angle.