Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Fracking is the most irresponsible thing I have ever witnessed and I have seen (and done) some fucking dumb shit.
Dumb question, have you read the CSIRO report on fracking? Especially the one on the Condamine river - when it first starting hitting headlines and the EPA weren’t doing anything, I started looking for science as opposed to farmers opinions - I think everyone should look towards the science personally.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Nukes are too expensive and yes, too risky. Dollar for kilowatt hour, solar and wind is so much cheaper, and more importantly quick to install.

Nukes are a dead end, an obsolete technology. Maybe thorium could have worked, but everyone wanted the plutonium for weapons so uranium reactors were chosen. Too late now, we need clean power now and renewables is the cheapest and fastest and easiest and safest way to get it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I hadn't seen the report but I wasn't talking about the Condamine methane bubbling which I have seen. When the farmers tell you that it has always done that then it is a bit hard to blame something recent. Still quite spectacular to see a waterhole on fire though. I was referring to the nasties that come up with the gas that have to be dealt with. And there is the issue that it can affect artesian supplies. The water returned from fracking is bad.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Nukes are too expensive and yes, too risky. Dollar for kilowatt hour, solar and wind is so much cheaper, and more importantly quick to install.

Nukes are a dead end, an obsolete technology. Maybe thorium could have worked, but everyone wanted the plutonium for weapons so uranium reactors were chosen. Too late now, we need clean power now and renewables is the cheapest and fastest and easiest and safest way to get it.
Disagree:

Dr James Hansen is the man.

Calvin27

Eats Squid

Disagree with the first part. Agree with the outcome though. We should have done nuclear like 40 years ago. Right now any nuclear we might build will purely be to manage load, not to generate the bulk of it. Renewables have overtaken it in terms of roll out speed and we will likely get better at storage before we even produce the first MW of a new promise to build nuclear.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Did you watch the video above, @Calvin27?

We have one goal & one goal only - 50% reduction in CO2 by 2030 & 100% reduction by 2050 (leaving out the terrifying sequestration requirements).

Nuclear is a tech that'll get us there.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Dumb question, have you read the CSIRO report on fracking? Especially the one on the Condamine river - when it first starting hitting headlines and the EPA weren’t doing anything, I started looking for science as opposed to farmers opinions - I think everyone should look towards the science personally.
'It's what's happening under ground that you don't see that's the problem but I've also worked in the past on the exploration side of things and there was a scenario when the gas blew a capping off from a drill hole and gassed some of the farmers cattle. Most of those farmers will pull their pants down in hope that some large mining giant will buy or lease access land from them.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

We have one goal & one goal only - 50% reduction in CO2 by 2030 & 100% reduction by 2050 (leaving out the terrifying sequestration requirements).

Nuclear is a tech that'll get us there.
Hold on didn't you have a go at me for supporting nuclear?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Adani or anyone else mining will bring in automation , driverless trucks and low paid overseas workers.
Most of the jobs to build mining plants are short term but an electrician I know, worked on the LNG plant in North Qld and they waited on a job for 2 weeks to buy bolt washers from the US for cable trays while the local companies all stocked up thinking they were going to get sales.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Nope, but I don't think it addresses my issue wih nuclear. I have no qualms about nuclear waste or risk etc. My issue is that Australia is special. If it takes us more than 10 years to not even hit 80% coverage in a massively watered down version, then yeah we are not going to get nuclear from policy to megawatts in 30 years.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Hold on didn't you have a go at me for supporting nuclear?
Not aimed at me, but I rekon its a respectable trait that people are able to chop and change opinions on issues in a discussion. Unless it's about loose ball bearing hubs - they are just shit.

I am pretty green leaning, but seeing all the crap I do I think nuclear is the only way we can get there. Then I see more crap and I realise yeah nah we can't even build an apartment without accidently putting flammable stuff on it, we can't built a tower what has obvious structural defects. We support stupid projects that dump waste into our greatest assets and we pay more for gas than the people we actually sell it to. Yeah nah we can't build a nuclear plant even if we tried.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Although power and manufacturing can be taken care of with renewables if the conservatives get out of the way, the next big challenge for cc gases is transport and agriculture.
Electric cars,trucks and electric tractors powered by renewables would be a good start .
Wont happen without a price on carbon / pollution though.
fatboyonabike makes a good point about keyboard warriors .
Most people on this site are very keen to consume anything new bike related.
One huge advantage of the internet is that it has made access to used stuff easier but this has also driven new replacement sales .
In other words stuff is turning over faster, so people feel OK about buying new because the second hand market is flourishing.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Although power and manufacturing can be taken care of with renewables if the conservatives get out of the way, the next big challenge for cc gases is transport and agriculture.
This is the bit that always gets me. Most of the eyeballs as on an easy problem - stationary energy. And even then we can't make progress quick enough. We haven't even touched on the other bigger pieces of the emissions pie. Yep we are stuffed - 2 degree scenario. my bet is in 15 years we will stop talking climate change mitigation and be squarely in the adaptation conversation.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
This is the bit that always gets me. Most of the eyeballs as on an easy problem - stationary energy. And even then we can't make progress quick enough. We haven't even touched on the other bigger pieces of the emissions pie. Yep we are stuffed - 2 degree scenario. my bet is in 15 years we will stop talking climate change mitigation and be squarely in the adaptation conversation.
Or geo engineering + nuclear plants hooked up to carbon scrubbers.

In reality any solution will require a lot more electricity - think electric cars, buses trucks, ferries. Bio/synthetic liquid fuels for ships and aircraft only. We will probably see thorium nuclear powered container ships in our lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Guy from Atlassian was on Q&A the other night. Said good things. Apparently every quarter they are creating more jobs than Adani will in total. Obviously you can't burn software to make power, but you can make jobs without coal.
Funny thing about software is that it needs hardware, and hardware needs power:

But anyway, this can be improved with better algorithms, unlike landuse intensification, ocean exploitation, pollution and err - climate change.