Another 'which new bike' thread... Norco, YT, other?

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

I'm looking to get back into regular riding and want to upgrade my very old 26 inch steel framed hardtail to something with full suspension, modern geometry and newer technologies.

I'd classify myself as a born again novice, having been nowhere near a mountain bike for many years. I recently spent a couple of days riding at Melrose in SA (which highlighed the limitations of both my bike and riding ability) and intend to ride trails such as Fox Creek, Craigburn, etc in SA.

My budget is circa $3k to $4k and after speaking to mates who ride, they've steered me in the direction of a trail bike as being the best do it all option. I've been looking at 27.5 wheeled bikes with around 140 rear travel and anywhere from 140 to 160 front travel, mid-level (NX groupset, RS Revelation forks and their Fox/Shimano equivalents) and have ridden a few but am having trouble deciding which way to go.

Ridden:
Trek Remedy 7 (hire bike at Melrose, first ride on a full suspension bike and it was a revelation)
Merida One 40 900 (around a car park, great value proposition but didn't excite me)
Norco Sight A2 (around a car park, liked the look and feel of it)

Others that pique my interest but I've not ridden include:
Giant Trance 2 (solid but unexciting)
YT Jeffsy AL Base (good value proposition and looks fantastic)
Canyon Spectral AL 5.0/6.0 (possibly more Enduro focused than what i'm after)
Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt Alu 30 (130/130 front and back puts it in a different class? lower spec level, upspeccing to a dropper post & postage from interstate makes price creep up)
Banshee Spitfire (because it seems to be the Rotorburn default recommendation, albeit for good reasons. Bit above my price point though)

I appreciate that my description of my riding style and locations is poor or may not mean a lot to those of you not from SA or assist you in providing specific guidance for my situation, but would appreciate any advice or feedback on my selections. Is there anything else that I should be adding to my list, or anything that I should be immediately discounting?

Apologies for my rambling post, appreciate any feedback offered.

Cheers.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Banshee spitfire and RM thunderbolt (I’ve never ridden one, but this style of bike is my favourite. Responsive, playful short travel bikes are fantastic) would be my picks from that list.

Edit: and add the jeffsy to the shortlist! Nice aggressive trailbike.

Last edited:

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Slightly off topic, but get out on the kuitpo trails with your hardtail. Gets the fitness and skills back. Plus you will bump into some really nice people that often have multiple steeds, and regularly visit all the other places you want to go. A wealth of down to earth knowledge, to help you make your choice.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Jeffsy is definitely on the short list.

I do like the idea of a responsive, playful short travel trail bike, but the Thunderbolt is at least a spec level below the others at roughly the same price point and the Spitfire is nudging over what I have approval for.

Thought about a Fuel but am not sold on 29. Would prefer 27.5

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
  • Whyte T-130 - might not be greatest spec, but will be a great platform (i really love the look of them).
  • Kona Process 134 when it gets relaunched
  • Commencal Meta TR - think in 29 now, but good if you can make exception
Banshee spitfire and RM thunderbolt (I’ve never ridden one, but this style of bike is my favourite. Responsive, playful short travel bikes are fantastic) would be my picks from that list.
lazygoogle: is it possible to get frames-only with RM in Aus?

Ultra Lord

Good additions @droenn

The meta TR looks like a winner too, and is pretty budget friendly. I don’t think wheelsize matters all that much anymore, they’ll all feel very different regardless compared to your 26 OP. Broaden those options and pick the one you like the look of most haha.

Meta TR review

And no idea about the RM

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Great suggestions, thanks all.

That Meta does look good, as does the Whyte.

I take it the Kona Process 153 falls more into the Enduro category than the 134 and will be more than I need?

Further research has me liking the Rocky Mountain Altitude which, from what I read, is a very good all-rounder than climbs well and is forgiving for less skilled riders.

Looks like my decision is going to be even harder than I originally thought.

damo666

Likes Dirt
I haven't ridden the 29er version, but cant recommend the Meta based off the 27.5 one my son has had for the last few years.

The rear end has some serious flex issues. We went through a number of rear axles and the pivots constantly work themselves loose when tightened to the factory settings. Only resolved by using a bucketload of locktite and torquing them to hell...
Have spoken to a few others who all had similar issues.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What size are you? If your a small, eighty one spices has a Liteville 301 mk10 on clearance. Fantasticly made bikes.

For long term durability the Norcos have a good reputation. The pivot hardware is beefy.

I'm really enjoyed my Focus Sam and is made to a very high standard. For some reaosn Focus's are cheap in Australia so a Jam on runout might be good. Avoid anything with alloy pivot hardware (Trek I'm lookin at you).

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I take it the Kona Process 153 falls more into the Enduro category than the 134 and will be more than I need?
New Process 134 will be dropping very shortly, but the budget might be an issue.

There is plenty of awesome 2nd hand options around in the $3-4k bracket in all the brands you mention.
It's always nice to have a new bike and a warranty, but there's a fair difference in components between a base model brand new bike and a mid-high spec 2nd hand bike

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dam, there's some nice looking bikes turning up in this list!

But I'm boring, cost concious and practical. So I'm happy to recommend the Trance 2 lol.

Rides nice
Cheap ($3000k new on sale this time last year)
Full SLX drivetrain (I'm not a fan of sram)
Fox fork has been suprisingly great
Rock solid frame, have not had to do a single bit of maintanence to frame or pivots
Lifetime frame warranty
Solid reputation for warranty if something does go wrong, and lots of local shops.

This was my first duel suspension bike, so just wanted something that worked and wouldn't cause me bother.

Ultra Lord

Dam, there's some nice looking bikes turning up in this list!

But I'm boring, cost concious and practical. So I'm happy to recommend the Trance 2 lol.

Rides nice
Cheap ($3000k new on sale this time last year)
Full SLX drivetrain (I'm not a fan of sram)
Fox fork has been suprisingly great
Rock solid frame, have not had to do a single bit of maintanence to frame or pivots
Lifetime frame warranty
Solid reputation for warranty if something does go wrong, and lots of local shops.

This was my first duel suspension bike, so just wanted something that worked and wouldn't cause me bother.
Shhhhh, get outta here with your logic. Trances are a great bike. Do rate.

But buying a bike isn’t a logical excercise, buy what makes you go “i want that one”.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Exactly why I would also be looking very closely at that commencal if I was in OP's position now ha ha.
But then other factors come in due to direct sales model etc :(

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Banshee, Kona, Commencal in that order. Only rode one of those but I'm just going by cool factor because I rekon they all about ride the same (if you rode ham and had a preference we wouldn't be here would we?) so just go by brand value and looks.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Banshee, Kona, Commencal in that order. Only rode one of those but I'm just going by cool factor because I rekon they all about ride the same (if you rode ham and had a preference we wouldn't be here would we?) so just go by brand value and looks.
I think you got them ass-about in terms of cool factor !

Ultra Lord

I think you got them ass-about in terms of cool factor !
Since when does commencal out cool banshee and kona?

Actually no, kona aren’t cool. Everyone remember that guy with pads over jean shorts, that terrible bell fullface with speed dealer sunnies trying to pedal a stinky up hill?
They’ll never come back from that.

Banshee>commencal. That 29’ legend dh bike is one of the best looking bikes ever.