Replacement cranks

Hey

Likes Bikes
Anyone had any success with replacing their cranks for shorter ones ?
Currently have 165mm isis mount and want to try some shorter. 150mm maybe

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Anyone had any success with replacing their cranks for shorter ones ?
Currently have 165mm isis mount and want to try some shorter. 150mm maybe
150mm is pretty short mate.

This is in the E-Bike subforum so I assume you have an e-bike??? What model bike?

How old/tall are you and why do you feel that you need to go shorter than 165mm?

Hey

Likes Bikes
150mm is pretty short mate.

This is in the E-Bike subforum so I assume you have an e-bike??? What model bike?

How old/tall are you and why do you feel that you need to go shorter than 165mm?
Yeah, Turbo Levo
Old as my tongue, but not as old as my teeth and 6’1.
Replaced the tyres which dropped the bottom bracket 8mm closer to earth. Shorter cranks should not matter on an ebike for pedaling efficiency.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Yeah, Turbo Levo
Old as my tongue, but not as old as my teeth and 6’1.
Replaced the tyres which dropped the bottom bracket 8mm closer to earth. Shorter cranks should not matter on an ebike for pedaling efficiency.
So you're not a 6yo.

150mm cranks are a bit crazy for a normal sized human.

Why did you drop tyre size so much?

Hey

Likes Bikes
So you're not a 6yo.

150mm cranks are a bit crazy for a normal sized human.

Why did you drop tyre size so much?
Yeah maybe, maybe not. They use short cranks on uni cycles and some of them have 130mm and never much bigger than 155mm.
I get it for a Mtb 165-170 but this is power assist so no drama.
2.8’s were not available in a tough enough casing so had to drop to 2.6’s. And I like them more.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
what bike?
If its pedal strikes that are the main concern, is the sag on your shocks set up correctly
I recently went for a few laps on a blokes Merida E160, and the amount of pedal strikes that I and my off sider had was high but not uncommon for these bikes as I found out..maybe just have to change your riding style!

Hey

Likes Bikes
what bike?
If its pedal strikes that are the main concern, is the sag on your shocks set up correctly
I recently went for a few laps on a blokes Merida E160, and the amount of pedal strikes that I and my off sider had was high but not uncommon for these bikes as I found out..maybe just have to change your riding style!
It’s a Spesh Levo, auto sag makes it easy to set up. It’s at the recommenced 30%. I could change my riding style, but it’s nice to pedal around corners, which is something I don’t find myself doing as much on a non assisted bike. Lazy merh

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The Specialized stumpjumper linkage got a bit of criticism in the recent analysis article on pinkbike for being a bit too linear through the travel. Not sure if the turbo Levo has a similar design? May blow through the mid stroke if not ‘over sprung’ a bit.

It would be worth trying a bit more pressure to get, say, 25% sag and see if that helps and rides well. Free to try.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I reckon its the pedalling jn corners thats causing strikes, not a frames leverage ratio

Hey

Likes Bikes
I reckon its the pedalling jn corners thats causing strikes, not a frames leverage ratio
Yeah the power promotes a bit of laziness. You tend to not care too much on climbs too and just pick random lines.
It’s a bit like when you ride a hard tail and choose wisely. Then jump on a full suspension and just blow through it on the downs.
Ebikes you just blow though all situations, up and down.