VIC Lysterfield Park

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
F*** I thought that was just me. I know it's something that should just be shrugged off but it does give me a bit of a downer being surrounded by so many mute and / or rude dickheads, especially when you move off the track so their shitty ebike can go past. Just another reason to ride Red Hill instead - off the charts for friendly people, probably because the place demands respect and all trails are one way.
Redhill is in every conceivable way better than Lysterfield. It just needs to be closer to my house!

ponk

Squid
rode lysterfield today, never seen/come across so many ebikes.. any chance they will be banned there? any one here of any proposed planes to make the park directional?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
rode lysterfield today, never seen/come across so many ebikes.. any chance they will be banned there? any one here of any proposed planes to make the park directional?
Banning ebikes would be stellar there. No real reason you should need one there of all places.

slowmick

38-39"
Got passed by 5 e-bikes today at Lysterfield today in three different parts of the park as i rode my wheeze bike. Only heard 1 group coming - got off the trail as they shot past to hear the second rider say "yeah, 25 km/hr is far too slow". Maybe mate - but i was barely doing 10km/hr at the time. Beautiful day in the sunshine though.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Surprised by how many riders were out this afternoon. More surprised by 2 riders going the wrong way in Comm Games!

Cranker

Likes Dirt
Like them or not! eBikes are here to stay. The more people getting out using the trails, the better chances of getting more trails approved by Parks. So let's just get out and ride our bikes!!! #rideon

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I disagree. Besides Parks are progressively dumbing down trails so I'm not sure mass participation is going to give MTBrs the outcomes they want.
Yep, I'd say it has the potential to work against us. More riders, especially the newbie types, means more injuries and more litigation. This leads to knee-jerk reactions and flattenning of features, or in lysty's case, entire bloody trails!

E-bikes allow riders to go much faster than their experience would normally allow them and can lead to much nastier injuries which makes the above work even harder against us. Ebikes are also a very broad term and can mean anything from your legit low powered pedal assist bikes to cobbled together home jobs to fairly full on throttle powered bikes.

I get it, they're here to stay. I've also ridden with a few ebikers and they've been a top bunch that don't even remotely subscribe to that stereotype we love to put on them, i'd ride with them any day. But the broad "more is better" attitude is just plain wrong IMO

Jpez

Down on the left!
I know this isn’t the Ebike thread.
I have no issue with ebikes.
But my observations of their increasing numbers and behaviour is a little disturbing.

And yes I had a fang of one in a car park and yes they are fun.
Ebikes allow newbies to be in areas and situations they wouldn’t normally be in. Without the experience or learned trail etiquette that comes with time and experience They seem to feel like their skill level is more than it is and as such puts themselves and others in danger.
It also allows them to behave like dicks without even knowing it.
When someone flys past you at warp speed without warning or a nod of thanks for getting out of their way that dick behaviour.
More and more are popping up at the Youis and with that comes more first time E riders on hire bikes stopped at a rock gardens or some feature over their skill level oblivious to riders barreling down.
I’m also noticing a lot more skid marks. Big long ones not easily done on a normal bike.
Obviously coming in way hot on a corner and skidding and trashing the trails.
Sure anyone can do that but it’s like owning a v8 when you’re 17. You have the power to go fast and burn rubber.
Yes I’m generalising and have seen plenty of well behaved Ebike riders.
But it’s the ones riding around a trail network like they ARE riding a motorbike and not a mtb the gets me.
So happy for ebikes to share the trails.
But sensibly and with trail etiquette shown.
As I see it a lot of E riders are showing neither.

The last place I want to be is Lysterfield if it’s now becoming the new Ebike capital of Melbourne.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I dont mind Lysty ,

As a 57 year old, I sometimes enjoys the less taxing ride of Red hill where I ride most often,

But it does seem to have the highest percentage of newbie type riders of anywhere else I know, who dont understand trail etiquette , you have to be on guard a bit with that

teK--

Eats Squid
I know this isn’t the Ebike thread.
I have no issue with ebikes.
But my observations of their increasing numbers and behaviour is a little disturbing.

And yes I had a fang of one in a car park and yes they are fun.
Ebikes allow newbies to be in areas and situations they wouldn’t normally be in. Without the experience or learned trail etiquette that comes with time and experience They seem to feel like their skill level is more than it is and as such puts themselves and others in danger.
It also allows them to behave like dicks without even knowing it.
When someone flys past you at warp speed without warning or a nod of thanks for getting out of their way that dick behaviour.
More and more are popping up at the Youis and with that comes more first time E riders on hire bikes stopped at a rock gardens or some feature over their skill level oblivious to riders barreling down.
I’m also noticing a lot more skid marks. Big long ones not easily done on a normal bike.
Obviously coming in way hot on a corner and skidding and trashing the trails.
Sure anyone can do that but it’s like owning a v8 when you’re 17. You have the power to go fast and burn rubber.
Yes I’m generalising and have seen plenty of well behaved Ebike riders.
But it’s the ones riding around a trail network like they ARE riding a motorbike and not a mtb the gets me.
So happy for ebikes to share the trails.
But sensibly and with trail etiquette shown.
As I see it a lot of E riders are showing neither.

The last place I want to be is Lysterfield if it’s now becoming the new Ebike capital of Melbourne.
If I'm not mistaken, not that long ago I read somewhere that officially, lystie doesn't permit ebikes. That may have changed recently as Merida run ebike demo days there

Last edited:

ponk

Squid
I dont mind Lysty ,

As a 57 year old, I sometimes enjoys the less taxing ride of Red hill where I ride most often,

But it does seem to have the highest percentage of newbie type riders of anywhere else I know, who dont understand trail etiquette , you have to be on guard a bit with that
I agree completely on both statements. Add the ebike into the mix and it’s dangerous. more head ons will happen.. it’s a shame if they have to make it one way as I like mixing it up and riding both directions

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree completely on both statements. Add the ebike into the mix and it’s dangerous. more head ons will happen.. it’s a shame if they have to make it one way as I like mixing it up and riding both directions
I've never ridden there but I must say I am a strong fan of one way trails, especially (or really only) when they are tight singletrack. I am hardly fast downhill but not a fan of the idea of someone potentially being around the corner coming up. I guess I have got used to trails being either signposted one way or accepted that there is a "correct" direction. Having said this I often ride some of these thinking how much fun they would be the other way, that could be beause I hate climbing!

redbruce

Eats Squid
any one here of any proposed planes to make the park directional?
From latest LDTR newsemail:
"One Way Trails – Survey Results
A few months ago we asked our database to complete a survey on changing our trail network to a one-way trail system (for blue and above trails, green to stay two way).

Over 80% of you agreed this change would make the network safer overall. And over 92% of you wanted to see more challenging features on the trails once they are changed to single direction.

This change is intended to improve on the user experience and improve on safety and given that over 60% of you have either had an accident or near miss with an oncoming rider in the park this will certainly have the desired result.

We expect the roll out of one way trails to start in Spring 2019 so please be on the look out for new signage on the ground. "

ponk

Squid
thanks for the info redbruce. spring it is.. i guess it will be a good thing if they make the trails more challenging now its going to be one way

teK--

Eats Squid
From latest LDTR newsemail:
"One Way Trails – Survey Results
A few months ago we asked our database to complete a survey on changing our trail network to a one-way trail system (for blue and above trails, green to stay two way).

Over 80% of you agreed this change would make the network safer overall. And over 92% of you wanted to see more challenging features on the trails once they are changed to single direction.

This change is intended to improve on the user experience and improve on safety and given that over 60% of you have either had an accident or near miss with an oncoming rider in the park this will certainly have the desired result.

We expect the roll out of one way trails to start in Spring 2019 so please be on the look out for new signage on the ground. "
Great that they are taking the feedback of park users onboard :D