GX Eagle - shitty shifting solved!!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Finally! Been suffering with ghost shifting, poor indexing and generally just bloody annoying, inconsistent shifting on this thing since new. Did all the the things, new cables, new better cables, even sprung for an X01 shifter. Still shit.

Finally noticed the B screw bolt had a shitload of slop in it - wasnt obvious when there was a chain on it but there was a good 3mm movement at the bottom jockey... Went to the bike shop to compare against new ones and they had it too but mine was worse.

Screwed in the B screw bolt with a sliver of plastic jammed in it to remove play and voila! Perfect shifting. No ghost shifting, no random clicking, no delays in downshifting..

Just shitty quality, poor manufacturing. The X01/XX1 has a plastic sleeve on the B screw bolt that take out this slop and as far as I can tell is the main reason they charge 200 bucks more for the X01 over a GX. But sell the B bolt kit for 40 bucks!

Next bike will be Shimano, or Sunrace if I build it up. Its nice to have nice shifting again, but overall SRAM quality is not awesome...

D

Deleted member FN2187

Dollar for dollar you can't beat Shimano for reliability. IMO, top end SRAM sifts beautifully and has a real positive engagement, but anything below XO is just real shit quality. I haven't had a budget SRAM derailleur last me more than a few months. My most recent bike came with NX and that thing didn't even last a month before it developed a hideous amount of play and sloppy shifts.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don't think Sunrace is all that good either, well not as reliable as Shimano because I've seen a few failures of late with the cassettes.

Seen a lot of broken teeth from poor shifting but never the whole gear.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I don't think Sunrace is all that good either, well not as reliable as Shimano because I've seen a few failures of late with the cassettes.

Seen a lot of broken teeth from poor shifting but never the whole gear.

View attachment 354392
Their cassettes have never appealed, but their 12 speed mech and shifter look good. The ZTTO cassettes look the best of the cheap alternatives.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Seems to me we are expecting a lot from modern big range cassettes ie want them cheap , light so have to have cut outs , big gaps and range , clutzy newbies so its hard on derailleurs.
I am happy with 11-40.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Only teenage boys with more hand grip strength then a monkey could turn the first gen gripshift when wet.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Hey @Haakon, confirming you’re referring to play between the derailleur body/knuckle and the hex bolt that holds it to the hanger? That ebay link looks like this kit from mtb direct as well.

I noticed the exact same thing on a GX 12-speed derailleur of mine, but didn’t know you could swap it for an X01 B bolt and eliminate the play. Betting SRAM didn’t save much money with their GX B bolt, but wanted the sloppier fit to ensure it didn’t shift as well as XO1 to justify the ludicrous price difference.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Hey @Haakon, confirming you’re referring to play between the derailleur body/knuckle and the hex bolt that holds it to the hanger? That ebay link looks like this kit from mtb direct as well.

I noticed the exact same thing on a GX 12-speed derailleur of mine, but didn’t know you could swap it for an X01 B bolt and eliminate the play. Betting SRAM didn’t save much money with their GX B bolt, but wanted the sloppier fit to ensure it didn’t shift as well as XO1 to justify the ludicrous price difference.
That’s the one. A few pennies saved on fleabay.

And yes that’s my conclusion as well... GX is the volume seller, they spend maybe $5 per unit for material differences to X01 and charge the 200 premium. Got to applaud the cynical marketing, but doesn’t endear them as a company!!