ACT Best of Canberra Mountain Bike Experience Workshops

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
A bit of a heads up for Canberra riders.

The ACT government are doing some consultation for the future direction of trail development in Canberra. This is going to be a rare opportunity to have your say in where future money will be spent in the region, so I'd really encourage locals (and others who enjoy the riding here) to get involved.

You can contribute your ideas in writing and online, but they're also having some workshops you can attend in person:

Limestone at Ainslie Football & Social Club | 52 Wakefield Avenue | Ainslie, ACT 2602 | Australia
Tuesday, 30 July 2019 from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm

Weston Creek Labor Club | Teesdale Cl | Stirling, ACT 2611 | Australia
Wednesday, 31 July 2019 from 5:30 pm to 9:00 pm

You'll need to register attendance here: https://www.yoursay.act.gov.au/CanberraMTBExperience

This would be a fantastic opportunity to suggest some big ideas.

- Imagine a trail network built through the forest surrounding Cotter Dam, with a link trail to Stromlo.

- Or a multi-day trail through the Brindabellas.

- Downhill and flow trails from Honeysuckle Campground where the decommissioned space tracking site sits.

- Single track for commuting into town from the South from Waniassa through Red Hill.

This would be a great opportunity for us to show some collective enthusiasm for mtb development, given the logging that will take away a lot of hard work that the Kowalskis and Majura Pines crew have put in.

Trail design is slated to commence next year, so start dreaming and share your views.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
The ACT is really doing some great stuff down there, I wish there was more of it.
I took my boys down to Canberra last weekend to visit the family, but mostly to get some pump track and dirt jump action and was really very impressed on how all the facilities are maturing.
It would be good if other local councils and governing bodies had the same level of enthusiasm as the once lacklustre ACT local government.
It would be nice to get into the heads of some of these people to show that mountain biking is an industry (a very lucrative industry!) and not just an activity or past time and really put in the effort for well designed and well supported facilities like you guys have down there.
Keep up the great work, it really gives me a reason to travel to Canberra more than once a year.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I'm an out of towner but will be putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and jumping onboard explaining how I spend my $s down there instead if here primarily 'cause of bikes.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Thanks guys, appreciate it. Tourism seems to be a key factor in this consultation, which means real investment $$$.

Let them know what sort of trails you like to ride, and what would draw you to come here for a riding holiday.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The workshops are now booked out, and an additional one has been added:

Limestone at Ainslie Football & Social Club | 52 Wakefield Avenue | Ainslie, ACT 2602 | Australia

Wednesday 7 August 2019 from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm -
click here to register

Remember you don't need to attend to have your say. Even 15 minutes of your time online could make a difference to getting your preferred option to be considered.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Can't do Wednesdays unfortunately - someone take my picture along for me for a longer run at Majura? ;)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Stony Creek connecting trails to/from Stromlo to another Handlebar (The Cotterpin? Too old? Bendbar?) where the old pub used to be at Cotter bend and a ton of permanent trails out there would be on my wish list. Potential for proper long gravity runs too, right back to the pub.

And reserving as much of the existing pine forest networks from logging, converting to mixed forest like the piney bits of Stromlo as pines need removal. I think they have huge heritage value as pine forest trails so stoping commercial forestry in enough area to allow them to remain is worthwhile.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yep, I'm going to put together something with a few maps with suggested areas shaded and save out as a PDF.

I think if enough of us get behind the idea of a new trail network or two, and keep relating this back to increased tourism it'll really help.

You only have to look at Tassie to see how a place can benefit from this investment, with the advantage of a weekend trip for Sydneysiders being pretty managable cost wise.

Get submitting people!

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yep, I'm going to put together something with a few maps with suggested areas shaded and save out as a PDF.

I think if enough of us get behind the idea of a new trail network or two, and keep relating this back to increased tourism it'll really help.

You only have to look at Tassie to see how a place can benefit from this investment, with the advantage of a weekend trip for Sydneysiders being pretty managable cost wise.

Get submitting people!
Can you post something up that some of us could use as a bit of a template? I've got some vague ideas but I think there is more impact if the ideas are more fully formed. I would prefer to submit a proposal that supports those like yours that are detailed and well thought out than my ramblings that I want more at Majura, linking trail networks and more descents everywhere.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I'll have a think and post something up. I know that government departments do love things being proposed in a particular format, so even though they haven't asked for submissions to be formal, it'll probably help to move it closer to the top of the pile.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I'm for the idea of a coordinated approach too. Cotter pub idea is probably better going into Stromlo as the main base because of existing infrastructure. I imagine accommodation on site there, interstate mates coming to ride and going for a swim after then a beer and back to accommodation.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
OK, so here are some ideas about how we could structure our submissions. General advice is to stay positive, and repeat some of the key words from the website as part of your copy. Things like "exciting mtb destination" and "strong and growing mtb culture"

Remember a big part of this is about tourism and encouraging people to visit the region. Keep it concise and enthusiastic. I would structure your argument in three paragraphs:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open with a short comment about Canberra's strong history around mountain biking. You could mention the many successful racers Canberra has produced, the iconic events like the Mont and World Cup at Stromlo. Canberra has long been considered a premier mtb destination in Australia. Mention that all this is under threat from logging of pine forests and the pressure on Stromlo as a result of this and all the new suburbs springing up. You could mention something personal to you.

2. Mention the competition. Tasmania and Victoria in particular have invested big money on mtb projects which means tourists choosing an mtb destination are likely to want to try something new or bigger elsewhere. Mountain biker tourists in general will be people with a decent income, and will most likely inject money into the local economy if there is a good reason to stay for a couple of days or longer to sample all the trails. The bigger and more exciting the more trails, the bigger the buzz and as a result visitor numbers.

3. Propose one or two big ideas. Don't clutter your submission with a long list, describe one or two dreams and why you think they would encourage people to visit Canberra for their next mtb holiday. Take a screengrab of a region in google maps and circle an area if you want. They won't be expecting you to make it look super professional. Be realistic but dream big all the same.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of this stuff is pretty obvious, but it shows we're engaged and enthusiastic. Feel free to heckle my structure and suggest your own ideas about how to put these arguments together.

But most off all, get submitting. This opportunity will not come again any time soon.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
why would they invest in world class facilities in Canberra when Glenworth Valley is going to be extra frothy, with a chairlift and all, and is just up the Hwy!
Unnnlessssss they put a chairlift at Strommers, now that would get Rachael Atherton on a plane and heading down under.
but seriously, my 2cents..
develop the pine plantation area between the old Laurel Hut campground all the way to the Collimation tower overlooking murrays corner!
we used to have some epic freeride sessions there after the 2003 fires.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
develop the pine plantation area between the old Laurel Hut campground all the way to the Collimation tower overlooking murrays corner!
we used to have some epic freeride sessions there after the 2003 fires.
Submit away! Doesn't need to be a big essay guys, if you don't have the time.

But if you do sit down and dedicate an hour to fleshing out your idea I think they will take it more seriously.