Boxxer angle clamps?

RichJS

Likes Dirt
I have an old DH bike that's running 2010 Boxxers. It'd be nice to slacken out the forks maybe 2 degrees from current HA of about 65.5 degrees, which would also drop the BB a few mm which is nice - but the old EC34 headtube rules out an angleset, which would probably do 1 degree adjust anyway.

Anyone heard of after-market crowns to slacken out Boxxers? I have seen the Outsider Bikes offset-adjust crowns, but I want to adjust the head angle instead.

I guess I could short-shock it too, which would lower the BB and slacken the HA a bit, but that's a separate plan.

moorey

call me Mia
A drop crown will lift the front, and slacken slightly. What crown do you have currently? Will lift the BB though. Otherwise, you’re stuck.
I short shock my old 222...but yes, that’s another matter. What bike?

Last edited:

RichJS

Likes Dirt
What crown do you have currently?
The regular one that came with the fork.

Bike is a small '04 BigHit Expert. Sitting unridden for a while, I'm thinking of slowing improving in over the next couple of years. Hoepfully in a few years the kids will be thrashing it.

So I changed from supposedly 555mm a2c on the factory Junior T (170mm) to 570mm a2c on the 2010 Boxxer, slackening 3/4 of a degree but raising the head tube (and BB) up. Seemed pretty good in 2010 but looking at it now, the BB seems pretty high by today's standards.

Shock is 2.75", mounted in the "A" pos (supposed to give 14.3" BB height, 8.1" travel, 66.3deg HA with the factory shock.) Funny thing is, the 04 BigHit Comp model came with a 2.5" shock, and I have one of those 2.5" shocks in the cupboard... By my calculation, the shorter shock would slacken the HA about 0.8deg and lower BB about 11mm.

Maybe short shock + 1deg angleset would be enough. Thanks for the link. Slackening by at least a couple of degrees - perhaps while moving back to a shorter a2c fork - would be ultimate goal, tho.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
When you say regular, which of these? Older bikes tended to run drop crown (back one)

If you have the shorter shock, might as well have a play.
Good luck.

Hugsy

Likes Bikes
I have an old DH bike that's running 2010 Boxxers. It'd be nice to slacken out the forks maybe 2 degrees from current HA of about 65.5 degrees, which would also drop the BB a few mm which is nice - but the old EC34 headtube rules out an angleset, which would probably do 1 degree adjust anyway.

Anyone heard of after-market crowns to slacken out Boxxers? I have seen the Outsider Bikes offset-adjust crowns, but I want to adjust the head angle instead.

I guess I could short-shock it too, which would lower the BB and slacken the HA a bit, but that's a separate plan.
works components angleset???? you can get ones that slacken 1.5 or more degree.

moorey

call me Mia
And pair it up with the crowns and it will be super slack.
How can crowns change anything more than the headtube will allow? Other than raising and lowering the height at the front. OP doesn’t want higher front and higher BB.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
@No Skid Marks ... does workscomponents or did it ...not sure now
MTBD also has works components
We do Burgtec offset bushing I also have some K9 anglesets left if you want 2deg
Dyimtb does racingbros OSBs as well ... somebody else is parallel importing but not sure who.

moorey

call me Mia
@No Skid Marks ... does workscomponents or did it ...not sure now
MTBD also has works components
We do Burgtec offset bushing I also have some K9 anglesets left if you want 2deg
Dyimtb does racingbros OSBs as well ... somebody else is parallel importing but not sure who.
2deg in a 34mm headtube? Interesting. I may have to look at that.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
When you say regular, which of these? Older bikes tended to run drop crown (back one)
If you have the shorter shock, might as well have a play.
Yeah, got the drop crown on - the headtube is fairly tall.

I just realised that my spare shock isn't shorter eye-to-eye, just less stroke/travel. Ooops. :rolleyes:

Looks like BB height is just under 370mm currently. Will have to figure out how much I want to lower it and decide (ho hurry) whether I want to go to 8.5x2.5" shock (drop travel from 200 to 181mm and lower BB by about 11mm) or even 8.25x2.25"