Hope pro 4 hubs engagement

Hugsy

Likes Bikes
So im pretty sure stock engagement on the hopes is 44 point which is pretty average for such a popular hub. Is there a way to make this even better? What would be a better hub at a similar pricepoint with more engagement?

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
You'd have to step up to an Industry 9 or something like that to notice the difference. Diminishing returns with increasing POE.

A better hub at a similar pricepoint would be DT350 with ratchet upgrade, having owned both that and the Hope (cue fanbois).

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
44 poe is fine. Plenty of people get by on 18 poe on their dt hubs.

The Funn Fantoms have 104 poe and are reasonably priced but good luck getting spares.

Halo Supadrive have 120poe and spare are available.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
The project 321 aren’t a huge amount dearer, with great engagement. Never used, but people rate them.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
And don’t forget Onyx hubs with their fancy sprag clutch... silent but deadly (to your bank balance).

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
More POE means more drag. I've got some high engagement wheels with 108 POE as well as Hope Pro4, and the lack of engagement is never an issue when I ride. And yes, same bike / different wheel size.

And they sound superb.

moorey

call me Mia
It's the package that Hope offer that has me giving them my money. (Not too often either, given their adaptability).
This. One set (and I have around 10 these days, used the same wheels for 7+ years...first as QR, then 135x10, then 135/12, now 142/12. Could boost them like Felix has if I chose.
Never once had to replace a spring, pawl or bearing on any set.
I’m a proud fanboy, but think they’re absolutely earned my loyalty.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I run 3 sets of hopes here, 44 POE don't effect my riding and I ride where most other people ride. Maybe I'm used to it and back pedal a bit for the odd climb without even realising I do it but yeah don't really notice them to be a big enough problem. A lot of people I ride with like the DT swiss 350's.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have i9s, which I got very, very cheap, but if I had to buy new hubs they would be Hopes.
The high POE on the i9 is nice, but barely noticeable in comparison. They are just a little buzzier more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I actually really rate the engagement of my King hub wheels over my other dt swiss 18 point jobbies. The king is just so much better in the slow speed techy stuff and hard climbs. That quick engagement is the difference between me clearing a section or not. I doubt the difference between a hope 44 poe vs the king’s 72 is large enough to matter. But 18 to 72 is very noticeable.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I run Hope Pro2 Evos, Dt 240s, I9 Torch, and Project 321s. They all have their pluses and minuses.

The Dts are significantly lighter then the other hubs, but the 18 poe star ratchets are a shocker in a $700 hubset. The 36 poe ratchets are better but cost $120, the 54 poe ratchets are fragile so a no go. There are perhaps too many spares, eg Xd freehubs need a different endcap to a hg, and they tend to be expensive.

The Hopes really hit the sweet spot. 40 poe seems to be good enough for most situations. The 4 pawl drive mechanism is utterly reliable and is happy to use marine grease. The 17mm axles are solid and spares are widely available and reasonable in cost. The only weak point are the oem bearings which are shit. The freehubs are also hard on the inboard bearing.

The I9 Torchs are pretty much the pinnacle of hubs for me. The 120 poe is a noticeable improvement over the Hopes and 36 poe Dts. They weigh about 50 grams less than the Hopes and 50 grams more then the Dt 240s. The drive mechanism is reliable but the pawl springs are sacrificial, but are cheap. Similar to the Hopes there are lots of spares available but they are pricey. In saying that the build quality is excellent and the freehubs are head and shoulders above the Hope and Dt for quality.

I'm not sure the new I9 Hydras will be a big improvement over the Torch. Relying on system flex to progressively engage pawls sounds like it would put a lot of wear on bearings. Moving from a 17mm axle back to a 15mm axle sounds like a step back too, but it seems to work for Dt.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk